Juicy, tender and sweet-salty goodness! Sticky soy + sweet chili sauce grilled skewers with chicken, bell peppers, red onions, and fresh pineapple. Serve with white rice or as-is for an easy, delicious low-carb option. Such a fun way to zest up weeknight dinners! Marinade ingredients one day ahead for a dinner ready in less than 10 minutes.
Lately, we’ve had a few summer heat waves here in New England. For that reason, I say it’s time to keep the heat out of the kitchen!
My trusty grill has been a workhorse for sizzling steaks, corn on the cob, tender grilled chicken, and so much more. Cracking a beer and firing up dinner while music vibes and kids play? Nothing better, baby!
By far, my favorite grilled dish has been these sweet ‘n salty chicken skewers! I absolutely love piling fresh peppers, red onions, chicken and juicy pineapple on skewers for dinner. Combined with a sticky garlic-soy and sweet chili sauce marinade, every bite is full of tender, mouthwatering goodness! We love changing up dinner with new flavors and keeping it light, easy and fresh. This is beyond perfect for just that.
You will absolutely love how easy these Sweet Chili Hawaiian Chicken Skewers are, and how versatile the ingredients are that you can use.
Keep reading for the colorful, delicious recipe, ingredient substitutions, and more drool-worthy photos. Plus, tips for baking these skewers, if you don’t have a grill!
Ready to make your own Sweet Chili Hawaiian Chicken Skewers?
• Add chopped chicken, peppers, onions and pineapple chunks to a large bowl. Set aside.
• In a small saucepan set to medium heat, whisk brown sugar, soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, garlic, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer.
• In a small bowl, whisk water and cornstarch. Slowly whisk into the mixture. Stir until bubbly and thickened. Remove from heat and reserve 1/4 cup of the sauce for later.
• Pour sauce over chicken and veggies. Let marinade for 30 minutes.
• When ready to cook, thread chicken, peppers, onions and pineapple on skewers. Place on a platter and preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
• Cook for 3-4 minutes per side, until chicken and veggies are tender. Remove from the grill and brush with reserved sauce. Sprinkle with fresh chives or scallions, if desired.
• Serve hot and enjoy!
Keep reading for full ingredient list + recipe, below
Want to change up your ingredients? Try these ideas:
• Meat: Smoked sausage, chopped steak, whole shrimp, chopped pork loin, Italian sausage, lamb, chicken sausage
• Vegetables: Chopped corn on cob, zucchini, chopped potatoes, mushrooms, yellow onions, cherry tomatoes, butternut squash, carrots, broccoli, brussels sprouts, eggplant.
• Seasonings and herbs: Can’t find sweet chili sauce? You can substitute with pineapple juice. For a different flavor, sub the marinade with Italian seasoning, Cajun seasoning, Greek seasoning, or a dry barbecue rub. Remember to add a bit of oil, which helps the marinade evenly distribute and keeps your ingredients from drying out.
Want more fresh, quick weeknight dinners? Try these!
• Lemon-Garlic Honey Butter Salmon & Veggies in Foil
• BBQ Chicken, Bell Pepper and Pineapple Skewers
• Rosemary Roasted Chicken with Bell Peppers and Potatoes
• 3-Ingredient BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
• One-Pan Roasted Sausage, Peppers and Potatoes
• Grilled Pesto Chicken and Tomato Skewers
• BBQ Pork Tenderloin with Sweet Potato Fries
• One-Pan Greek Orzo with Tomatoes and Feta
• Grilled Hawaiian Pineapple Pork Chops
Keep It Easy Tip: Chop up your ingredients ahead, pour in the marinade, and refrigerate in a container. When you’re ready to cook, thread the ingredients on lightly oiled skewers (I recommend metal skewers, not wood) and grill the skewers on super-hot grates. ️🔥 Bam! You have an easy homecooked meal ready in 10 minutes.
We love to serve these skewers with hot fluffy rice, noodles or quinoa.
Even though this is such a fun, summery meal, you can make it any time of year! Don’t want to grill? This also bakes up beautifully on a sheet pan. Spread all your ingredients out on a large pan, pop it in at 400 degrees F, and bake for 30 minutes.
Voila! Dinner is done and delicious.
Sweet Chili Hawaiian Chicken Skewers
For the skewers:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 red onion, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, cut into 1 inch cubes
For the glaze:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. water
For serving (optional):
- Chopped fresh chives or scallions, for garnish
- Hot cooked rice, noodles or quinoa
- Add chopped chicken, peppers, onions and pineapple chunks to a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan set to medium heat, whisk brown sugar, soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, garlic, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer.
- In a small bowl, whisk water and cornstarch. Slowly whisk into the mixture. Stir until bubbly and thickened. Remove from heat and reserve 1/4 cup of the sauce for later.
- Pour sauce over chicken and veggies. Let marinade for 30 minutes.
- When ready to cook, thread chicken, peppers, onions and pineapple on skewers. Place on a platter and preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes per side, until chicken and veggies are tender. Remove from the grill and brush with reserved sauce. Sprinkle with fresh chives or scallions, if desired.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Want to receive our latest recipes straight to your email inbox? Click here to subscribe!
So delicious for summer grilling! Enjoyed this recipe very much. Thanks!
So delish Georgia! Love these with some sticky Jasmine rice. I’m from New England as well and agree cooking outside is essential for these hot Summer days!