BBQ Chicken, Bell Pepper and Pineapple Skewers

In my backyard is a big ole’ mud pit. We ripped out our wooden deck earlier this month and it’s just what we’ve been left with. A 21- x 30-foot patch of dirt, lots of rain, and a pup intent on tracking muddy paws on every surface.

Construction of our new patio is set to start any day now, though, and let. me. tell. you. I can’t WAIT to have a comfy, breezy backyard space to host spring and summer parties and just cool it with a cocktail… as best we can in Austin’s harsh heat!

Which brings me to these delicious skewers… perfect for laid-back parties and weeknights that call for something new!

Grab some chicken, bell peppers, red onion, pineapple pieces and your favorite BBQ sauce. Skewer ‘em up, sprinkle on the salt and pepper, and slather with sauce. Toss onto your outdoor grill or grill pan, and these smoky, sweet skewers are ready in no time!

I love making these scrumptious skewers because they’re such a great all-in-one meal. The flavors also complement each other so well, and everything cooks evenly after only 10 minutes.

Move over, Rachael… We’re making 15-minute meals over here!

Try these tonight or the next time you’re craving something easy, tangy, and absolutely delicious. I know I’ll be making these all summer long!

PrintPrint Recipe

BBQ Chicken, Bell Pepper and Pineapple Skewers

Yield: Makes 5-6 skewers (2-3 servings)

1 lb. (2) boneless skinless chicken breasts

1 bell pepper (any color)

1/2 red onion

1 (20 oz.) can sliced pineapple

1/2 cup your favorite BBQ sauce (I used Bullseye), divided

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Wooden or stainless steel skewers*

Cut chicken, bell pepper, red onion and pineapple into bite-sized chunks. Place in separate bowls.

Start layering ingredients onto your skewers, alternating chicken, bell pepper, red onion and pineapple chunks. Place skewers on a large plate or cutting board. Repeat until you have 5-6 full skewers. Brush all evenly with 1/4 cup BBQ sauce, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Preheat your outdoor gas grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Once hot, place skewers on grill and cook on all sides until chicken is cooked and vegetables have softened, 9-10 minutes. With a clean brush, coat skewers again with 1/4 cup more BBQ sauce. Carefully remove from heat and let cool slightly.

To remove cooked skewers to a plate, slide a fork from the top to the bottom of each skewer.

* If using wooden skewers, soak in water for 10 minutes before skewering with ingredients. This will prevent them from burning on your outdoor grill/grill pan.

45 Responses to “BBQ Chicken, Bell Pepper and Pineapple Skewers”

Nami | Just One Cookbook — April 17, 2013 @ 2:19 am

We love pineapple and such a great kids-friendly ingredient for the bbq skewers! This looks great and will be in our bbq menu this spring/summer!

CCU — April 17, 2013 @ 4:34 am

These skewers are flavour filled and utterly delicious my friend, great job :D

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

Marie @ Little Kitchie — April 17, 2013 @ 5:39 am

These look awesome! You’re making me crave summer!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — April 17, 2013 @ 8:20 am

You had me at bbq chicken!

Eileen — April 17, 2013 @ 8:22 am

I’m ready to picnic after seeing these – they look delicious!

Erika @Southern Souffle — April 17, 2013 @ 8:22 am

Whoa.. these skewers look incredible..

Emanuelle — April 17, 2013 @ 8:22 am

this is getting me all excited for summer!! I can’t wait to try these out when the bbqs start happening in London! Yum!

Kelly Senyei | Just a Taste — April 17, 2013 @ 8:35 am

Oh my heavens! I can practically taste these from your beautiful photos alone! Can’t wait to fire up the grill!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — April 17, 2013 @ 8:40 am

These look great! And love all the color that you incorporated into them with the veggies. I SO wish I had a BBQ! For now, I guess my little grill pan will have to do…(not at all comparable).

Congrats on the start of the patio construction!

Karen (Back Road Journal) — April 17, 2013 @ 9:58 am

What a colorful dish…I’m sure the skewers taste as good as they look.

Bree {Skinny Mommy} — April 17, 2013 @ 10:21 am

These are gorgeous! (And JEALOUS that you live in Austin!)

Dave — April 17, 2013 @ 10:54 am

I love bbq-ing season! These look too good to not try! They will be on my bbq in the coming week. Thanks!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — April 17, 2013 @ 11:12 am

Yeah, make Rachael squirm! Lol. I LOVE easy meals (but then again, who doesn’t?) and honestly, sometimes even 30 minute meals sounds too strenuous, haha. I LOVE skewers because obvi they’re easy, and you can assemble them in advance. Plus these look SO saucy and rich, I’m drooling.

PS your pictures are gorgeous!

Aggie — April 17, 2013 @ 11:18 am

I love grilled food! Your skewers look amazing, the addition of pineapple is always fun and delicious!

SaltySweetSour — April 17, 2013 @ 12:31 pm

These look divine! Wish summer would hurry up and get here so we could grill out!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — April 17, 2013 @ 12:42 pm

I would love to sit out on a patio with these skewers and a cold margarita on a summer night – sounds perfect!

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — April 17, 2013 @ 1:13 pm

Oh my gosh I cannot wait to live somewhere that I can own an outdoor grill. Those look so great!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — April 17, 2013 @ 1:22 pm

I can’t wait until it warms up more and we can spend evenings outside grilling! These skewers sound fantastic!

Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen — April 17, 2013 @ 2:43 pm

Your skewers look so delicious! I’ve never thought of adding pineapple to chicken and pepper skewers, but will be trying this now!

Julia — April 17, 2013 @ 4:19 pm

Oh the chicken and the pineapple and the bbq sauce…I’m in looooooove! It’s already sunny and warm in my neck of the woods – perfect for bbqing up your skewers!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — April 17, 2013 @ 4:32 pm

I’m drooling over these skewers, they look so tasty!! Perfect for the summer BBQ season ahead :).

Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie — April 17, 2013 @ 4:58 pm

This looks amazing! Perfect for the warmer weather coming our way :)

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — April 17, 2013 @ 6:31 pm

You’re totally motivating me to get a grill just so I can make this!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — April 17, 2013 @ 7:45 pm

Amazing photos. Who knew skewers were so pretty?!?! I didn’t know I was craving bb and pineapples until now. :) I love pineapple with bbq foods!

Liz — April 17, 2013 @ 8:09 pm

Now if this monsoon outside would ever stop, we could fire up our grill! What magnificent skewers…perfect for our weekly Sunday BBQ :)

Natalie — April 17, 2013 @ 8:38 pm

This is a perfect summer recipe, can’t wait to try these out once the weather gets better and we fire up tomorrow.

Monica — April 17, 2013 @ 8:42 pm

This makes me want to fire up the barbecue! I will keep this combination in mind when our BBQ season gets into full swing.

Honey, What's Cooking? — April 17, 2013 @ 9:45 pm

ooooh… sweet and savory… love that. i love bbq chicken, it also reminds me of the Indian tandoori chicken which is marinated with peppers and onions. :)

Jen @ Savory Simple — April 18, 2013 @ 6:40 am

We just got a grill and I am so excited to try this!

Tracy | Peanut Butter and Onion — April 18, 2013 @ 10:01 am

OMG it is now officially BBQ season!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — April 18, 2013 @ 10:21 am

This is screaming summer!! Perfect Hawaiian chicken on skewers!

Judit + Corina @WineDineDaily — April 18, 2013 @ 12:43 pm

Thank you for the inspiration, this looks so tempting!!!

sarah k @ the pajama chef — April 18, 2013 @ 2:00 pm

i LOVE skewers! these look delish :)

The Café Sucre Farine — April 18, 2013 @ 4:18 pm

These photos are just breathtaking! And the skewers sound fantastic, I know we’ll want to try these this summer, love all the ingredients!

ashley - baker by nature — April 18, 2013 @ 6:03 pm

These skewers have me seriously ready to fire up the grill and get going!

Jeanette — April 18, 2013 @ 10:33 pm

Love how easy this is Georgia – gorgeous colors! Can’t wait to break out the grill.

katie — April 19, 2013 @ 12:18 am

yum! These sound amazing!

amy @ fearless homemaker — April 19, 2013 @ 3:59 pm

OOh, these look fantastic! I love quick, fresh, healthy warm weather dinners like this. I’m ravenous at the moment, so they look especially tempting right now! =)

Patty — April 19, 2013 @ 4:54 pm

Your new patio will be so nice and I can just imagine the entertaining you will do with all the delicious dishes you turn out!!!! These skewers are gorgeous ;-)

Megan {Country Cleaver} — April 19, 2013 @ 5:17 pm

Oh these are the stuff bbq-ing dreams are made of. The pine apple totally seals the deal – I can’t make skewers without it!

samantha — April 22, 2013 @ 3:55 pm

Made this this weekend and it was fantastic! Loved it!

Crystal @ Simply Playful Fare — April 23, 2013 @ 10:08 pm

Your pictures are beautiful, and these look so yummy! BBQ season will be upon us soon. :)

PapaLos @ The Man, The Chef, The Dad — April 28, 2013 @ 11:37 pm

I just bought a grill this weekend and these are getting made! They look absolutely fantastic! Hope the backyard comes together soon!

Mandy - The Complete Cook Book — May 23, 2013 @ 7:41 am

Skewers are always so nice on the braai.
    :-) Mandy xo

Ray Summers — November 2, 2013 @ 7:13 am

The pictures are mouth watering!