With a sparkly sugar coating and a creamy chocolate center, there’s nothing not to love about these soft gingerbread-spiced cookies. Made easily with a cake mix, adorably delicious, and a sweet holiday gift and party treat. Bake a batch today!
Not so fast, though. You don’t have to break out an endless list of ingredients for these gingerbread cookies. You only need a handful of basics, including a cake mix and a mostly uneaten bag of chocolate kisses. Easier said than done, I realize.
Keep reading to get the recipe for these simple, sweet holiday cookies!
With a sparkly sugar coating and a creamy chocolate center, there’s nothing not to love about these soft gingerbread-spiced cookies. They’re incredibly simple to make, and fun to bake with your little kitchen helpers, too!
Just whip up a half block of cream cheese until fluffy, then add butter, egg and a dash of vanilla. In goes your cake mix. Mix it well, but don’t worry if your dough seems a little runny. It will firm up in the fridge, ripe for rolling into dough balls. After rolling, pop them into a bit of coarse sugar, and onto your baking tray. They puff up beautifully golden brown, practically begging for a “kiss”! If chocolate isn’t your thing, whole pecans on top would also be pretty and make for easy packaging.
You’ll love these cookies for holiday gifts, parties and all the sweet merriment surrounding them!
- 4 oz. light cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick, 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 16-18 oz. box Spice Cake mix
- 1 cup coarse sugar, also called turbinado or raw sugar
- 36 chocolate kiss candies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add melted butter, egg, and vanilla. Beat until thoroughly combined. Add cake mix, mixing until well combined. Refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour then roll dough into 1-inch balls.
- Pour coarse sugar into a shallow dish. Roll dough balls in sugar and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately press a chocolate kiss into the center of each cookie. Remove cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.