I cannot tell you how excited I am to share this cornbread with you!
This recipe has been a longtime favorite in my family. All year ’round, we cannot get enough of this soft, sweet crumbly cornbread with our chilis, grilled meats, salads, and soups. We even sizzle leftover cornbread in a buttery skillet for breakfast. You have not lived ’til you’ve tried this with your morning coffee. I’m telling ya!
While a boxed mix can be handy, nothing beats the taste of warm, homemade honey butter cornbread made from ingredients you can trust. Didn’t you know, it takes hardly any time at all? All you need is one bowl and a handful of basic ingredients. We’re using wholesome, great tasting ingredients like buttermilk, honey, eggs, cornmeal – and lots of butter (sorry, but that’s the secret!).
Have you got 10 minutes, and no time for a big fuss? Then, you’re ready to bake the most delicious cornbread you’ve ever tasted.
Get ready to flex your Southern-style cornbread skills! You’re about to be the one that everyone begs for the recipe.
Ready to bake a batch of Honey Butter Cornbread?
• Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a square baking dish (about 8×8 inches).
• In a medium bowl, stir butter, sugar and honey together. Whisk in eggs one at a time. Whisk in buttermilk. Add cornmeal, flour, salt and baking soda. Do not over-mix. As soon as the flour disappears, stop mixing.
• Pour batter into prepared baking dish. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
• Meanwhile, combine 1/4 cup melted butter and 2 Tbsp. honey in a small bowl.
• Poke top of cornbread gently all over with a fork. Pour honey-butter mixture all over cornbread. (This makes the crumb extra moist!) Let sit for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
• Slice, serve warm, and enjoy!
Keep reading for full ingredient list + recipe, below
Craving some variety? Try these optional add-ins:
• Shredded cheddar cheese
• Fresh blueberries (trust me, amazing!)
• Minced jalapenos
• Fresh sweet corn kernels
• Chopped peaches
• Chopped crispy bacon
What should you serve with Honey Butter Cornbread? Try these!
• Crispy Fried Chicken Tenders
• Mexican Grilled Steak Salad with Honey Lime Dressing
• Easy Roasted Summer Vegetables
• Grilled Chili-Lime Chicken Fajita Salad
• Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
• Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili
• 2-Ingredient Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
C’mon, reach out and grab a piece!
I loved serving this delicious cornbread during a recent Sunday lunch for guests. We feasted on homemade fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, sweet corn, and stacks of cornbread drizzled with warm honey butter. It was unanimous that the cornbread was to-die-for. Everyone devoured the meal in minutes!
A true comfort food meal is never the same without Honey Butter Cornbread – and this is the recipe you need. I have been baking cornbread this way for over 10 years. Our family, friends and lovely readers have praised this simple recipe for just as long! It always brings the food-happy groans to the table.
I hope you love this cornbread recipe just as much as we do! Give it a try, and please leave a comment and a star rating, if you try it.
Honey Butter Cornbread
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter melted
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk shaken well
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
For drizzling after baking:
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a square baking dish (about 8x8 inches).
- In a medium bowl, stir butter, sugar and honey together. Whisk in eggs one at a time. Whisk in buttermilk. Add cornmeal, flour, salt and baking soda. Do not over-mix. As soon as the flour disappears, stop mixing.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, combine 1/4 cup melted butter and 2 Tbsp. honey in a small bowl.
- Poke top of cornbread gently all over with a fork. Pour honey-butter mixture all over cornbread. (This makes the crumb extra moist!) Let sit for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Slice, serve warm, and enjoy!
Want to receive our latest recipes straight to your email inbox? Click here to subscribe!
Gotta do the drizzle with the warm honey butter! Game changer. This is the best cornbread ever!
The best cornbread I’ve ever made! My mom makes the best cornbread and she even said this was better than hers. It’s all about the honey butter drizzle!
Super delicious. I cut the sugar a few but still very delicious!
Can I use self-rising cornmeal? It’s all my store carries. Thanks!
Literally, the best cornbread EVA! Followed the recipe exactly and used my cake tester to poke the holes for the melted butter/honey mixture. I was worried the topping would make it too sweet, but NOPE! It’s utter perfection! You will not be disappointed.