Decadently delicious chicken dinner with a buttery mushroom cream sauce, made easily in one skillet! Simple enough for weeknights, elegant for dinner parties. Serve with pasta and salad for a scrumptious meal.
At the end of a long day, everyone needs a comforting and delicious dinner. Even better when someone cooks it for you! But, for those not so lucky, well… you are still in luck, because this is a recipe simple enough for weeknights, and outrageously delicious as next-day leftovers.
Crisp, buttery hot chicken cutlets nestled in a creamy Dijon-Parmesan sauce with a splash of white wine and heavy cream. Have mercy! Oh, and mushrooms, of course. Love ’em or hate ’em, you can’t deny that they pair perfectly with a light cream sauce.
I love to serve this mouthwatering meal with simple sides – buttery pasta with freshly grated Parmesan, and a peppery arugula salad with a squeeze of lemon. The chicken cutlets are so tender and juicy, and just melt in your mouth with the mushroom cream sauce.
This is a winner-winner of a chicken dinner!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups white wine or chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dry thyme
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Halve chicken breasts and pound into 1/4-inch thick cutlets. Add flour to a large shallow dish. Dredge chicken cutlets in flour, shaking off excess.
- In a large skillet set to medium-high heat, melt butter and olive oil. Once hot, add chicken cutlets and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. (Chicken does not need to be completely cooked, as you will continue cooking later in the recipe.) Remove cutlets from pan; set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add mushrooms and garlic. Sauté for about 3 minutes, until mushrooms are slightly limp. Add white wine and thyme, scraping up browned bits in bottom of pan. Return chicken to pan and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan (Yes, one more time!). Stir in Parmesan, Dijon and cream until well blended. Return chicken to pan. Serve cutlets with creamy mushroom sauce spooned over top.