Love soft, chewy and buttery chocolate chip cookies? This is your recipe! Say hello to the best cookies I’ve EVER baked, and they couldn’t be easier. Heaven dunked in a glass of milk, or with ice cream sandwiched between two. Bake a batch of warm, gooey chocolate chip cookies this weekend!
I have posted chocolate chip cookies more times than I can count on one hand. Where are the recipes, you ask? In the bin.
Simple as these may look, they mark the end of my search for the all-time BEST chocolate chip cookie I’ve ever made. Yes, I said the best. And I’ve baked (and chucked) a lot of batches. The addition of cornstarch makes these cookies’ edges perfectly crisp, and all that butter keeps the insides gorgeously gooey and rich. Heaven dunked in a glass of milk, I tell ya.
Until a year ago, I was still pouring from premade mix from the bag and following the just-add-egg method for my “homemade” chocolate chip cookies. It wasn’t such a bad solution to fulfill my cookie cravings quickly. But, now that I’ve begun religiously making my own chocolate chip cookies, my past is downright shameful.
I will never, ever go back to just-add-egg after these babies. No, thank you.
Some people like to play around and add coffee, toffee, and everything but the kitchen sink to their chocolate chip cookies. But, in my cookie lovin’ opinion, chocolate chip shouldn’t messed with. These are my favorite-ever cookie, not because they’re unique, but because this is the way they tasted when I was a kid caught snatching them hot off the cookie sheet. The edges are golden, the center soft and chewy, and in every cookie you can taste the buttery medley of warm vanilla, brown sugar, melt-in-your-mouth chocolate and a hint of salt.
Even if you’ve got your own tried-and-true method for this classic cookie, I really recommend you try these. I know that if you don’t think these are THE best, you’ll definitely say they’re one of the better chocolate chip cookies you’ve ever tasted.
And, hey, if you think you’ve got a strong contender of a recipe, feel free to share!
Best-Ever Soft, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 1 stick + 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet or milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, or the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extract. Add flour mixture, mixing until completely combined. Do not over-mix. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Roll 2 Tablespoons cookie dough into a ball. Tear ball in half and stack halves on top of each other (like this), placing dough balls 2 inches apart. Press down slightly on each dough ball.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until edges are slightly golden brown. (The cookies will not look fully baked, but they will resume baking while cooling on baking sheet.)
- Remove from oven and let cookies rest on baking sheet for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
These look yummy. Wondering why you roll them, separate into two pieces and then stack the pieces on top of each other? How does this help? Thanks.
Soft and chewy is just how a chocolate chip cookie should be! So happy you found (and shared) these. My cookie craving has hit!
Count me in! Such chewy yumminess!
This is not a necessary step, but doing it gives you thicker, puffier (and therefore softer) chocolate chip cookies.
Soft and chewy works for me. This is sooooo close to my recipe, but a tiny difference between brown and white sugar and a little more butter. I am going to have to try yours!
Mmm definitely worthy those who have been extra good, with a glass of milk on the side, they sound and look fantastic! :) I hope my mum has made her dark choc chip cookies this year, the taste of nostalgia right there :D In the mean time, I might just have to try these out, mmmm ^ ^
A chocolate chip cookie should never be crunchy – these are drool-worthy! Everyone needs good chocolate chip cookies in their life.
Such perfect little cookies!
If YOU say these are best-ever, then it’s a sure thing I have to make some before Christmas.
Bookmarking this… I am also on a quest for the ultimate chocolate chip cookie. I am trying to be a better cookie maker… that’s one part of the cooking/baking world that makes me scared for some reason! These look pretty perfect. :)
I need to start adding cornstarch to cookies soon! These look perfectly puffy and soft!
oh sweet HEAVENS! These def. look perfect and like they deserve to be called THE BEST!
Wow! I just made these and they are SOOO GOOD. Soft, buttery, gooey. Thank you so much for the recipe. These cookies are by far the best I’ve ever had. Even better than those I buy from the bakery.
Just made these, they are DIVINE! This recipe is definitely a keeper..Thanks so much!!
Can I put toblerone chocolate chunks instead of chocolate chips? Thanks
Sure! That sounds delicious.