This crisp, soft sausage and apple stuffing is one of my all-time favorite comfort foods, and a must for our Thanksgiving feasts. This dish is my favorite part of the meal, and it freezes perfectly, too! Make ahead a couple days before Thanksgiving, and bake on the big day. Our secret family recipe is now yours!
What is there to say about this recipe except, it is one of the best comfort foods I’ve ever eaten. It’s one of the few savory dishes I’ll lick the spoon for. And it’s a recipe I’ll undoubtedly pass down to my daughter one day… along with many others.
At my family’s annual Thanksgiving party, what I most look forward to is lots of laughter, wine and aromas coming from all corners of the house. But, besides the traditional turkey and pies, casseroles and soups, one of my longtime favorite dishes has been this sausage and apple stuffing.
Though my uncle’s exact recipe is under lock and key, this hearty, flavor-packed stuffing ranks a pretty sturdy second. I will definitely be making it for my Thanksgiving feast this year! This delicious side dish is remarkably simple and produces a warm and fluffy stuffing with a perfectly crisp yet soft texture. The sweetness from the apples is nicely complimented by salty, spiced Italian sausage. Combined with the celery, onion and sage, the whole dish makes for a mouthwatering aroma, and an even better taste!
I’ll be making this stuffing plenty beyond Thanksgiving, since it would be delicious with any roasted meat or poultry. I hope, if not for the holidays, you work this mouthwatering, easy stuffing into one of your special weekday dinners and get to enjoy it for yourself!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lb. Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tart apple, such as Granny Smith, cored and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 cups cubed toasted bread or dry stuffing mix
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat a large baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, crumbling with a spoon. Once sausage begins to brown, add butter, celery, onion, apple, sage, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until vegetables are tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in broth and egg. Add stuffing mix and stir to combine.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and cover with foil. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake uncovered until crisp, 15 to 20 minutes more.