Serve these super buttery and tangy potatoes on the side of your favorite grilled meats for a scrumptious meal! Just 6 ingredients, plus a crack of black pepper. YUM!
I’ve gotten back in the kitchen, and it feels so darn good.
Having a baby, you take on a whole new identity – mother, protector, teacher, constant laundry-doer. This little life needs you nearly every minute of the day. And in a strange way, it’s a wonderful feeling. Exhausting but wonderful that you have this new responsibility, and that you get to shape this person and watch them grow. It’s easy to become totally obsessed with your new role and find great joy in being a mom. It’s also especially easy to feel overwhelmed with doing your absolute best all the time. But, it’s easiest of all to forget about yourself.
What I’m really saying is, there have been a lot of frozen pizzas happening in my kitchen.
Things are taking a bit of a turn now, though. In baby’s mellow moments, I get to get back to my happy hobby of tinkering around the kitchen. While I don’t have marathon cooking days like I used to, it gives me a little lift to pull a hot, homemade treat out of the oven… that doesn’t have a cardboard crust. Hehe.
Served on the side of a rotisserie chicken and big salad (still keeping things quick and easy!), these scrumptious salt and vinegar smashed potatoes were a huge hit. They’re a super-crispy cross between mashed potatoes and roasted potatoes, with the perfect amount of vinegary tang. Your tiny-handed helpers will have great fun smashing the potatoes with a heavy mug, too!
Try these easy salt and vinegar potatoes with your favorite grilled meats and fish, too. They’re a fun twist on the classic potato chip – and a dollop of sour cream makes them even more delish!
Crispy Salt and Vinegar Smashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds mixed baby potatoes Yukon Gold, red, etc.
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt plus addt’l for sprinkling
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add potatoes and 1 Tbsp. kosher salt to a medium saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain and return potatoes to saucepan. Add butter and gently toss to coat. Transfer potatoes to prepared baking sheet, spreading them out in a single layer. Using a heavy mug or glass, smash each potato to about 1/2-inch thickness.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove potatoes from oven and turn each with a spatula. Drizzle with olive oil and continue baking for 20 minutes more.
- Once baked, sprinkle with vinegar, chopped chives, salt and pepper. Serve hot.