A little bit cake, a little bit cookie, these cookie sandwiches are decadent desserts that are also easy and scrumptious!
Two very exciting things worth celebrating are happening this week – tomorrow my handsome hubby turns the big 3-0, and The Comfort of Cooking is getting lovely new look! So, since I’m absolute rubbish at making cakes, I settled for the next best thing… cake mix cookies filled with frosting and smattered with sprinkles!
WHY do sprinkles make everything taste better, I ask you?
We’re just back from celebrating his birthday with a week in the Caribbean, so our plans for his actual birthday are pretty low-key. It’s also Pi day, and he requests a pie every year – this year, it’s his favorite homecooked meal… Shepherd’s Pie! Love my geeky, pie-lovin’ guy.
But back to the sweet stuff…
For how fun and festive they look, you wouldn’t believe how easy these cookies are! Just whip up your any flavor of cake mix into a stiff dough, roll it into balls, give them a gentle press to flatten, and bake. Meanwhile, make a homemade frosting with my recipe below, or use a prepared frosting. Pair up the cookies, spread on the frosting, roll the sides in sprinkles, and voila!
Just look at that beautiful rainbowy deliciousness! I mean, really, dontcha just want to jump in?
These would be so cute for a kid’s birthday party, a baby or wedding shower, or anything worth celebrating with your fellow cookie (and sprinkle) lovers!
Have fun with these cake mix cookies and experiment with flavors, too. How about a spiced cake cookie with cream cheese frosting, a lemon cookie with vanilla, or double chocolate for a truly decadent dessert?
You’ll absolutely love these cookies and keep going back to them for life’s little occasions… or just to treat yourself to something special!
Cake Mix Cookie Sandwiches
For the cookies:
- 1 8.25 oz. package yellow cake mix, or your choice flavor
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
For the frosting:
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp. milk
- Food coloring, optional
- Multi-colored non-pareils, or other sprinkles or candy of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, combine cake mix, egg and butter. Beat on low speed until all ingredients are well incorporated. Roll the dough into 1- to 1 1/2-inch balls and place on two parchment-lined baking sheets. Press down on cookies to slightly flatten (the bottom of a measuring cup works for this). Bake 8-10 minutes. Cool cookies completely on baking sheets before frosting.
- To make the frosting, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium-high speed until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add powdered sugar, and beat until incorporated. Add vanilla extract and beat on medium speed until fully incorporated. Add 2 tablespoons of milk and beat on medium-high speed until smooth. If the frosting is too thick, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of milk and beat until incorporated. If desired, gradually add drops of food coloring and mix to reach desired shade.
- Once cookies are cool, pair by size. Frost the flat side of one cookie from each pair. Place the other cookie of each pair on top of the frosting, flat side down. Lightly press together so that the frosting reaches the edges of the cookies. To decorate, place sprinkles in a small bowl. Dip the edges of each cookie in the sprinkles, pressing down gently and rotating to cover completely.
Hi love! And congrats to the winner! These cookies look so adorable…what a fun treat to serve to adults and children alike. Thank you for sharing them with us!
Can’t wait to see that new layout in action! And these cake mix cookies look to-die-for. Simple yet sweetly satisfying :D
What a fun week for you! These cake mix cookies look AMAZING. My inner 10-year-old is crushing hardcore on the sprinkles! :)
These look delicious! And I love that they use cake mix so they aren’t as labor-intensive as an entirely from-scratch recipe. Adorable!
the new design looks great, can’t wait to see everything and not just a scree-shot. And these cookies, oh, how I’d love a couple. They sound so good Amber!
Thanks for sharing and thank you for the lovely comment left on my guest post on Erin’s blog
These cookies are so cute! I love the pink frosting and white sprinkles.
Both kinds of sprinkles are SUPER cute and have irresistible look!! Happy Birthday to your husband and I cannot wait to see the new look of your site, Georgia! :)
These are the cutest, Georgia! The sprinkles make them look so happy!
These are adorable, I’d be thrilled if someone made them for my birthday :) Looking forward to seeing your new design!
The sprinkles make the sandwiched cookies so festive and fun!
Happy Birthday to your husband and congratulations on the upcoming redesign. Your cookies look so good and cute too. Thanks for sharing, I need to cake mix cookies a try sometime.
Eeek! All those sprinkles?? I die.
Sprinkles make the world a better place! These little sandwiches look so yummy!
These are too cute! Almost too cute to eat! And sprinkles make me so happy!
Happy birthday to your hubby, and I’m so excited for your new look!
My kids and I would have so much fun making these together. They look amazing!
These sandwiches are so pretty, very cute idea with sprinkles
How fun!!!! These are so chipper, beautiful and I bet tasty! My nieces and nephews would go crazy over these!
Your cookies look gorgeous, I love your photos :)
These are so pretty! I love using cake mix to make cookies. The flavor and texture is delicious :).
These look scrumptious. I love the colorful sprinkles adorned around the edges. I love your new look!
These are so gorgeous!!!! :) plus i love your new blog look!
These look so wonderful!! I was thinking about making them into ice cream sandwiches for my son’s first birthday party next week. Do you think they would freeze very well?
I’ve never tried freezing them before so I’m not sure. But I’d suggest making them 1 day before the party and keeping them refrigerated until serving. Enjoy!
What a fun treat, definitely celebratory Georgia! Happy B-day to your husband!
Making with red velvet and cream cheese icing with red sprinkles