Try this tasty twist on watermelon by pairing it with fresh basil, corn, feta and tomatoes for a crisp, cool salad!
The dog days of summer are just about over for the rest of the country, but here in Texas it’s still mighty temperate! Actually, let’s just be honest. I won’t be busting out the cozy sweaters ‘til November. It’s gonna be temperate for a WHILE.
But, alas, there’s watermelon to get me through the sticky hot days! And margaritas. And watermelon margaritas!
One way I had never thought to use watermelon is in a salad, until I noticed this recipe from Everyday Food. It’s absolutely delish! Slightly sweet, crisp and cool, and totally refreshing piled with tomatoes, fresh corn, crumbly feta cheese and basil leaves. I also served this with a quick red wine vinegar and olive oil vinaigrette, which intensified the flavors even more.
Serve it by itself, or with a scrumptious plate of grilled chicken for a fast, fresh and delicious summer meal!
Watermelon Basil Salad with Feta & Corn
- 1/2 small seedless watermelon, sliced
- 3 large tomatoes, sliced
- 2 ears fresh corn, shucked and kernels scraped
- 4 oz. crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves, torn
- Arrange watermelon and tomatoes on a platter. Sprinkle with fresh corn and feta cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil and vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Drizzle salad with dressing, sprinkle with basil, and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
This looks delicious! Very fresh and light for those hot summer days!
Sounds like a wonderful, refreshing summer salad!
Great recipes. I love a watermelon salads they’re light and delicious. I’ve never tried a watermelon Marquita but it will be a nice addition to a hot summers meal. I can’t wait to try it.
Hmm, this sounds tasty and refreshing! Here in california, it`s still super hot!
You are officially the watermelon queen! Lovely.
So summery and fresh!