Yesterday was my birthday, and instead of celebrating with a cake recipe, I broke the big news that I interviewed Kelly Ripa! And, I also stayed in my pajamas for most of the day, talked to my family and friends, and made these incredibly delicious pumpkin walnut cupcakes with spiced cream cheese frosting. Oh, heaven.
To celebrate, my wonderful husband surprised me with an upcoming trip to Boston, which is my favorite place on earth this time of year. The trees turn electric orange, red and yellow, the air is crisp and it’s perfectly fun just to spend the day walking through the city. We’re going to visit old friends, drink hot chocolate, eat bread bowls of clam chowder, go to my favorite pumpkin patch, wear sweaters and boots, and have an all around lovely time. I can’t wait!
But, before I get wrapped up in anticipation for Saturday’s flight, it’s time to focus on cupcakes! Let me tell you something. These little cupcakes are to die for. They are so moist, fluffy and full of warm spiced pumpkin flavor, and the cream cheese frosting on top is just divine. Yes, I drizzled one with a little caramel syrup, and no, I couldn’t help myself. You know you want it.
They are super simple to whip up, too! Just take a bunch of ingredients you probably already have, toss in some pumpkin puree and chopped walnuts, and bake those beauties for 15 minutes. The aroma is rich, spicy and absolutely scrumptious, and the frosted cupcakes are just little bites of heaven on earth. I know you’ll agree, and hopefully get a taste of what I love so much about the fall season!
Pumpkin Walnut Cupcakes with Spiced Cream Cheese Frosting
Pumpkin Walnut Cupcakes
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten until frothy
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
Spiced Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 8 ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pumpkin Walnut Cupcakes
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg into a bowl. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in eggs. Blend in mashed pumpkin.
- Stir in the sifted dry ingredients alternately with the milk, blending until batter is smooth after each addition; stir in chopped walnuts. Spoon batter into well-greased and floured or paper-lined mini muffin pan cups. Fill about 2/3 full.
- Bake at 375° for 15 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center of one cupcake comes out clean. Allow to cool completely, then frost with Spiced Cream Cheese Frosting.
- Spiced Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter until creamy. Mix in the vanilla, then gradually stir in the confectioners' sugar. Blend in cinnamon and nutmeg until well distributed.
- Frost cupcakes as desired (I used a Wilton 1M tip), or store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Happy belated birthday! These cupcakes look like a perfect way to celebrate and I hope you have a wonderful trip to Boston.
Happy belated! These cupcakes sound so yummy!
Happy Birthday, Georgia! Congrats on the interview and your cuppies look delish and beautiful!! :)
I hope your birthday was fun and wishing you lots more fun in Boston. Sinful little cupcakes you’re leaving us with too!
Happy belated birthday! Enjoy your trip to Boston. Your cupcakes look lovely, your photographs are beautiful and I love that plate you displayed the cupcakes on.
Yummy recipe! The consistent color hue throughout your photos is amazing! The cupcakes look scrumptious and the photo of the tree leaves is impeccable.
Happy birthday! Hope you have a great time in Boston! Cannot wait to try these cupcakes. The frosting looks so fluffy and delicious!
Wonderful photos, great recipe. Thank you for posting :p
I just finished baking a batch of cream cheese filled pumpkin cupcakes as well. I loved them although mine had no frosting since they filled with cream cheese :-)
I just love all the fall flavors…. Great pictures by the way!
These cupcakes look delicious! What great pictures!
~From your newest follower!
These look fabulous – perfect for baking this weekend.
Why happy birthday!
Congrats on your Kelly Ripa interview and your upcoming trip to Boston! That’s so exciting.
These cupcakes look irresistible. I love me some pumpkin+cream cheese combos!
Happy Belated Birthday!! How sweet of your hubby to surprise you with a trip to Boston!
Georgia, these photos are beautiful. I love the one of the walnuts. I love a walnut/pumpkin flavor combination. These muffins sound delicious. Enjoy your trip and happy birthday!
These are beautiful fall photos! I love the brightly colored leaves!
Happy Birthday!!!!!!!! I adore your pics.
Happy Belated Birthday Georgia! These cupcakes, like always, are gorgeous. Have so much fun in Boston!