Homemade Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches

With all the holidays surrounding the season, winter is most foodies’ favorite time of year… and I have to agree. Hearty roasts, fluffy mashed potatoes and hot cinnamon-spiced drinks and desserts? I can’t get enough. Cold weather cooking and baking just warms up your home! But, amidst all the apple crisps and cozy baked casseroles, I definitely miss the frozen treats of summer.

Since we have a new baby and the Texas sun is scorching, we’re seeking relief inside with treats like these cookie ice cream sandwiches! Buttery soft cookies sandwiching cold vanilla ice cream totally hits the spot for these hot days. There’s no better way to beat the heat!

Use your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe, or mix it up with another flavor cookie. Then, mash a big scoop of vanilla ice cream between two, and roll that big hunka-burning-love in all kinds of toppings. Sprinkles, chopped nuts, mini chocolate chips, and coconut flakes – oh my! You just can’t go wrong.

But if you do, well, hopefully you have more cookies and ice cream! You’ve got to sample all kinds of flavor combinations anyway. Obviously.

Have fun with your cookie ice cream sandwiches and make ‘em how you like ‘em! They can also be individually wrapped in plastic wrap, frozen and stored for later. Share them with your summer sweetie, or don’t.

I vote for don’t.

PrintPrint Recipe

Homemade Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches

Yield: Makes 12 ice cream sandwiches

2 dozen chocolate chip cookies, homemade or store bought
1 quart vanilla ice cream
Your desired toppings (nuts, chocolate chips, coconut flakes, sprinkles, etc.)

Let ice cream sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes to soften. Place 1-2 scoops of ice cream onto the bottom of one cookie. Place another cookie on top of the ice cream and squeeze together to push ice cream slightly to the edges. Roll edges in desired toppings.

TIPS

Use any kind of cookie you like! Here are some of my favorite recipes.
To freeze, wrap individual cookie sandwiches in plastic wrap, then place in a resealable plastic bag.

20 Responses to “Homemade Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches”

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — July 11, 2014 @ 12:13 am

There’s nothing better in the summer than ice cream sandwiches, these look so good!

Julie @ WolfItDown — July 11, 2014 @ 3:21 am

Mmm I wouldn’t mind a prescription of these in the Summer sun, marvellous :D x

Kathryn — July 11, 2014 @ 3:29 am

Such a perfect summer treat!

Annie @ Annie's Noms — July 11, 2014 @ 5:43 am

Love these, ice cream sandwiches are delicious and even more perfect with homemade cookies!

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef — July 11, 2014 @ 6:17 am

I love homemade ice cream sandwiches and these look fantastic. Better than mine!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — July 11, 2014 @ 8:03 am

Ice cream sandwiches are so perfect for summer! But I will eat them during the winter, too :)

Marie @ Little Kitchie — July 11, 2014 @ 8:40 am

Love these, especially with the coconut flakes!!

Karen @ Lushiuos Eats — July 11, 2014 @ 8:57 am

These look delicious, it’s so hard to pass up ice cream in the Summer time! :)

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — July 11, 2014 @ 10:58 am

Ice cream sandwiches are so fun to make and to eat! These look fantastic!

Phi @ The Sweetphi Blog — July 11, 2014 @ 12:09 pm

These look so fun to make and perfect treat to beat the summer heat!

Gaby — July 11, 2014 @ 7:18 pm

I will take 6! So delicious!

Angelyn @ Everyday Desserts — July 11, 2014 @ 11:35 pm

craving this right now! yum!!!

Thalia @ butter and brioche — July 12, 2014 @ 1:34 am

YUM.. these look delicious! i am definitely craving one now. thanks for the awesome recipe and inspiration!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — July 12, 2014 @ 7:16 pm

I’m in shock right now…

I just NOW followed you on instagram! I can’t believe I’ve been missing adorable baby updates (and yummy food ones too!) well. now that that is rectified…

loooving these cookie ice cream sandwiches. They’re so sweet and refreshing and like exactly the thing I need to melt all over my fingers!

Carol at Wild Goose Tea — July 12, 2014 @ 7:43 pm

I am coming to your house for ice cream sandwiches. You don’t stint on the ice cream. I love the one you rolled the sides in coconut. Perfect!

Consuelo - Honey & Figs — July 13, 2014 @ 9:23 am

I wouldn’t share these either – they look just too awesome!! And pretty as well! I’m loving the choco chips addition ;) Enjoy your Sunday!! xx

Jennie @themessybakerblog — July 13, 2014 @ 6:57 pm

I want to double fist cookie ice cream sammies into my mouth. So good! Pinned.

Amy @ The Blond Cook — July 13, 2014 @ 8:08 pm

I LOVE ice cream sandwiches but have never made them with chocolate chip cookies… YUM!!! Beautiful photos!

Monica — July 16, 2014 @ 8:29 pm

Totally agree – frozen treats are the highlight of summer! These ice cream sandwiches make perfect midday snack or dessert. They all look scrumptious.

Ramona — July 22, 2014 @ 11:07 am

My kids love ice cream sandwiches… nothings better to enjoy on a hot day. :)