Sugar-Free Pink Grapefruit Granita

I’m currently taking maternity leave time to enjoy our new baby girl. I plan to be back to regular posting soon, but have scheduled some recipes to share in my absence. You can still find blog and baby updates on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Thank you for understanding!

Sinking my spoon into a fruity slush of flaky ice crystals is one of my true summer joys! There’s nothing more instantly cooling than a cold treat, and in this house, we love a good granita. An easy mixture of fresh fruit juice and simple syrup just gets poured into a pan, frozen and scraped with a fork. What I don’t love, though, is all the sugar that a typical batch of granita is packing.

I’ve mixed up batches of granita with strawberries, watermelon, raspberry and pineapple. But, I found all were overloaded with sugar, so I sought out a still-sweet but healthier alternative.

In this gorgeous pink granita, Splenda stands in as a delicious sugar substitute. Combined with the tanginess of grapefruit juice, it makes for a citrusy sweet treat perfect for summer snacking!

Enhance the color of your granita with a little red food coloring for a pretty pink hue. Just a couple drops mixed in before freezing will do! I also like to include some of the pulp in the mixture to amp up the tang.

Topped with fresh mint, this Sugar-Free Pink Grapefruit Granita is perfect for cooling down during the warm summer days ahead. Grab a grapefruit and mix up a batch this weekend!

Sugar-Free Pink Grapefruit Granita

Yield: Makes 3 cups

3 cups water
3/4 cup sugar substitute (such as Splenda)*
1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed grapefruit juice (about 2 lg. grapefruit)*
Fresh mint, for garnish, optional

Bring water and sugar to boil in a medium saucepan. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool completely. Stir in grapefruit juice and pulp.

Pour into a 13 x 9-inch pan and freeze until icy around edges, about 30 minutes. Using a fork, scrape granita into icy, flaky crystals toward the center of the pan. Repeat every 30 minutes until frozen throughout. Scrape granita into bowls. Garnish with mint and serve.

TIPS
You can use granulated sugar in place of the Splenda.
Include as much of the grapefruit pulp as you like – it adds extra flavor!
Enhance the pink color with 2-3 drops of red food coloring in the grapefruit-sugar water mixture.
This granita can be made 1 day ahead. Keep frozen.

15 Responses to “Sugar-Free Pink Grapefruit Granita”

Jules @ WolfItDown — June 13, 2014 @ 2:24 am

This looks great Georgia! So so vibrant *smiles*
    I have actually never tried a granita, but was meaning to make it a little while back. I might have to opt for this version instead of the one I was planning on though. I love grapefruit :D

I hope you have an amazing weekend ahead :) x

Medeja — June 13, 2014 @ 4:35 am

Really nice looking and refreshing summer treat!

Tieghan Gerard — June 13, 2014 @ 7:48 am

This is so pretty! I love that pink color and the flavor!

Angie@Angie's Recipes — June 13, 2014 @ 8:13 am

So refreshing and beautiful!

Phi @ The Sweetphi Blog — June 13, 2014 @ 8:57 am

YUM! So pretty! I was actually just talking with my husband last night about grapefruit and how I love it when it’s made into something, this granita is perfect, I’m going to have to try this :)

marcie — June 13, 2014 @ 9:31 am

I love the color, and grapefruit is one of my favorite flavors. This looks so refreshing, Georgia!

shashi @ runninsrilankan — June 13, 2014 @ 9:46 am

These are gorgeous Georgia! Love the simple ingredient list to whip these granitas up with!

Nicole @ Cooking for Keeps — June 13, 2014 @ 12:00 pm

That color!! So beautiful!

Angelyn @ Everyday Desserts — June 13, 2014 @ 4:34 pm

this looks beautiful AND delicious! LOVE!!

Gaby — June 13, 2014 @ 11:44 pm

Granita is my favorite and this is so gorgeous!

Samina | The Cupcake Confession — June 14, 2014 @ 1:14 pm

Granitas in the summer heat!!!! Just thinking about it makes me feel calmer and soothes me down! I wonder what it’ll be like when i actually spoon this delicious scraped ice into my mouth! Plus it’s sugar free! This does not get any better!

Valerie | From Valerie's Kitchen — June 14, 2014 @ 7:58 pm

I’ve probably told you this a gazillion times by now but it was your watermelon granita that drew me to your site years ago! I’ll never forget it because it was one of my boys who actually told me to check it out since him and his college roommates made it! I thought that anyone who could inspire college guys to make ANYTHING was worth checking out. Haha :) This is so pink and pretty. Perfect for summer and I LOVE watermelon. Very nice!

Anna (Hidden Ponies) — June 14, 2014 @ 10:06 pm

Grapefruit is one of my all time favourite flavours – this looks so refreshing! Can’t wait to try it this summer.

Carol at Wild Goose Tea — June 16, 2014 @ 7:11 pm

Little girl pink and big girl refreshing. Grapefruit juice is perfect for when you are truly thirsty. This is would pretty easy to turn into a fun adult beverage also. Where are some of those little paper umbrellas.

Ramona — June 19, 2014 @ 8:00 am

I adore grapefruit… this will be my summer treat. :)