Chocolate Dipped Clementines with Sea Salt

Are these the cutest little party appetizer, or what?

There’s a recurring trend in this house lately, and it’s called sweet-and-salty everything. This little bun in my oven just can’t decide what it likes better, I guess! So, to appeal to everyone’s tastes, I’ve been snacking on healthy – and incredibly addictive – fresh clementines dipped in dark chocolate and sprinkled with sea salt.

Yum!

Though you can a pretty good handle on how to make them yourself from my photos alone, I’ve included a recipe for these 3-ingredient wonders!

You got it – just grab a couple handfuls of clementines, your favorite dark chocolate, and a few flecks of sea salt, and you’ve got a perfect appetizer or snack! They’re bright, citrusy and dreamily creamy, with a subtle salty kick from the fleur de sel. You can also use kosher salt, but easy does it – just a couple grains will do the trick!

Let’s just say I had some difficulty not devouring the entire tray after taking this shot!

It’s definitely impossible to stop at one with these tiny, sweet-salty treats. But, if they don’t quite make it to the party you were hoping to bring them to, make another batch! It’ll only take you ten minutes… and a little more self control.

Whip up these inexpensive, easy and unique bites for your next winter party, or any time of year, and I guarantee they’ll be big talk! Even my hubby – who much prefers savory to sweet – couldn’t keep his paws off these petite treats.

You’re gonna love them, too!

PrintPrint Recipe

Chocolate Dipped Clementines with Sea Salt

Yield: Makes about 50 pieces

7-8 medium clementines
4 oz. dark chocolate, finely chopped
A few pinches sea salt (such as fleur de sel)

Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Peel and segment clementines; set aside.

In a small bowl in the microwave or over a double boiler, melt dark chocolate. Dip clementine segments in chocolate and transfer to prepared sheet. Immediately sprinkle with tiny pinches of salt before the chocolate sets.

Once all pieces are dipped, set sheet aside until chocolate hardens. To quickly harden chocolate, refrigerate sheet for 10 minutes. Store in the refrigerator up to 3 days.

Adapted from The Food Network

42 Responses to “Chocolate Dipped Clementines with Sea Salt”

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — December 9, 2013 @ 12:50 am

Beautiful holiday appetizer idea!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — December 9, 2013 @ 1:16 am

How cute! I could seriously snack on these all day!

Nami — December 9, 2013 @ 2:56 am

Seriously!!!! This is one of the greatest snack recipe I’ve seen for a while which is PERFECT for my children! They love clementines – they disappear super fast in my house. I never ever thought of dipping into chocolates. I can’t believe how delicious these look and so easy to put together. Tomorrow is half day for my kids. I am going to surprise them with this snack project! THANK YOU!!! I think I might be more excited than kids. ;)

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — December 9, 2013 @ 6:45 am

Fabulous idea for the holidays, Georgia! I adore chocolate dipped candied orange rinds and this is right up there but with the whole salty-sweet situation. Gorgeous photography, too. Thank you for sharing!

Jennifer — December 9, 2013 @ 8:15 am

I love the combo of the orange and chocolate! These look simple but so yummy. Pinned these to take along to our family Christmas party!

Alyssa — December 9, 2013 @ 8:27 am

What a brilliant and easy little treat–plus, you don’t feel totally guilty eating them, either!

Marie @ Little Kitchie — December 9, 2013 @ 8:59 am

This is such a great idea, Georgia! So pretty and so yummy!

Alexe @ Keys to the Cucina — December 9, 2013 @ 9:07 am

Love this Georgia, you get the best of both worlds too. Hope you’re having a great holiday season!

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction — December 9, 2013 @ 9:19 am

What a great idea for an appetizer! Can’t get enough of the sweet and salty combination!

Jeanette | Jeanette's Healthy Living — December 9, 2013 @ 11:19 am

What a fun and easy treat for the holidays Georgia! Love how cute these are.

Marcie — December 9, 2013 @ 11:19 am

What a fun way to enjoy clementines! I always have a bowlful, so I need to try this.

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health — December 9, 2013 @ 11:59 am

this is such a great idea for parties.

sally @ sallys baking addiction — December 9, 2013 @ 12:25 pm

I would house this entire recipe in the blink of an eye. I love chocolate and citrus together! What a pretty little sweet treat. :)

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — December 9, 2013 @ 1:12 pm

I love clementines. These are adorable and a great idea!

Kathryn — December 9, 2013 @ 2:23 pm

What a simple but unique idea! They look absolutely stunning and I love the idea of that sweet/salty combination.

Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry — December 9, 2013 @ 3:18 pm

This is the kind of snack I would love at any holiday party or year around.

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs — December 9, 2013 @ 3:34 pm

What a lovely idea! I don’t think I’d have self-control when it comes to these haha. They look adictive ;-)
    Have a great week! xo

The Café Sucre Farine — December 9, 2013 @ 6:54 pm

Sounds like dessert to me, and so pretty, whenever you decide to eat it! Hope all is going well with the pregnancy Georgia!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — December 9, 2013 @ 9:15 pm

These are so cute!! I could eat them all day!

Audra | The Baker Chick — December 9, 2013 @ 10:15 pm

These are just beautiful Georgia! I love orange and chocolate and the addition of sea salt sends them right over the edge. What a lovely festive treat!

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef — December 10, 2013 @ 6:29 am

Really clever and I wouldn’t need any apology for eating them all because well, fruit doesn’t last, right?

Honey What's Cooking — December 10, 2013 @ 3:54 pm

What a gorgeous and healthy treat. You can totally devour the bowl and not feel bad about it. :-) Neat idea.
    Btw.. I love that white bowl with the snowflakes on the corner. So cute.

Kitchen Belleicious — December 10, 2013 @ 9:11 pm

never in my wildest dreams would I have tried this with clementines but what a brilliant idea and so festive

Erin | The Emerging Foodie — December 10, 2013 @ 9:24 pm

Georgia, these are absolutely beautiful and I am so in love with the flavor combination! Genius. :)

Colleen — December 10, 2013 @ 11:23 pm

I would have liked more instruction on heating the chocolate. It took me 3 tries to get it right. If you heat it up too fast then it gets lumpy, if you add cream to thin it out…it turns hard. The trick is to heat it nice.and.slow.

Thanks :)

• Georgia — December 11th, 2013 @ 8:17 am

Melting chocolate can be tricky, but the box/container that your chocolate comes in should have specific instructions for how to melt it properly.

Kathy C — December 11, 2013 @ 2:39 pm

Any tips on peeling & segmenting the Clementines? Are they easier than an Orange?

• Georgia — December 11th, 2013 @ 3:13 pm

Sorry, no tips – just peel as you would an orange. They’re really easy!

Ramona — December 12, 2013 @ 5:44 am

Wow, these are so cute and I love everything about them. My kid will go nuts for this idea. I love the hint of salt… perfect. :)

Kristin — December 12, 2013 @ 2:35 pm

Thanks for the awesome idea. One question, do you happen to know if tangerines would work? Not sure how well tangerines peel, but I saw them on sale this week and I guess it’s work a try.

• Georgia — December 12th, 2013 @ 2:37 pm

Yes, you can definitely substitute with tangerines.

Elizabeth Vogelsberg — December 12, 2013 @ 4:27 pm

This would be great to bring as a Christmas treat for the daycare providers.

sarah — December 16, 2013 @ 7:04 pm

I made these but I cheated a little and used a Lindt A Touch of Sea Salt Dark chocolate bars and used mandarin oranges because that is what I had on hand. They were a huge hit at work! I have to make them again on a larger scale. Thanks what a great idea

sarah — December 16, 2013 @ 7:07 pm

PS i just melted the chocolate bar in a little double boiler, I did not add anything to it. I also made sure not to break the “skin” of the mandarin orange so they were dry when I dipped them.

STACI KENNELLY — December 29, 2013 @ 6:21 pm

These were super easy and so so good! Thank you! I love your photographs here as well! So pretty!

Demetrius — December 31, 2013 @ 5:26 pm

THANK YOU!

SO excited to take these to a new year eve party tonight. Show ‘em vegan can be tasty, simple and familiar :)

Pam Piper — January 1, 2014 @ 7:30 pm

These are amazing!! Huge hit at every holiday party I made.

Ellen Rozsa — January 31, 2014 @ 11:53 am

My teenage daughter made these last night for a potluck dessert and they were absolutely delicious and elegant. She had to use a combination of Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate morsels and Callebaut semisweet morsels because that’s all we had in the house, and the combination was exquisite. We will definitely be making these again.

Audrey @ GlutenFreeVeganLove — February 7, 2014 @ 11:48 am

I guess “cutie” clementines can’t help being cute :), but who knew they could look so elegant in a matter of seconds! Great recipe. Thanks!

martha@ simple-nourished-living — March 10, 2014 @ 11:56 am

What an easy, fresh and delicious indulgence!!

Ali — June 8, 2014 @ 12:36 pm

These look like a great ideal for a Christmas party, Mmmm.

Rosie Dunningham — December 8, 2014 @ 5:10 am

These look so wonderful! We’re having a post-Christmas party on the 28th December and I will make these as part of our dessert nibbles spread. Thank you for the recipe and beautiful photos :)
    Rosie