Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries

This fall for me has been a little more fast-paced than in years past. I don’t feel as overwhelmed by everything there is to do as much as the time there is to do it! When days melt into weeks that whiz past into months, it’s hard to feel like you’re doing everything well instead of just barely balancing plates. But, I’m making it work! Hot cups of apple cider and turning off technology before dinner help relax me.

On nights when you just can’t be bothered to make a fuss (which lately for me, are most nights), what do you cook? We throw burgers on the grill and a batch of spiced, crunchy sweet potato fries in the oven. Simple, easy and absolutely delicious.

In the past, I always struggled with getting these little buggers to crisp up, but cornstarch has taught me a lot! Sprinkling it into your spices that you coat the fries with helps absorb excess moisture from the potatoes and perks up your fries to a nice, crispy golden brown.

Say g’bye to those lame, limp fries of past failures (we’ve all had them) and hello to sweet potato perfection!

Want the secret to the best seasoning for your fries? Use a combination of spicy, salty and “sweet.” I go for chili powder, garlic, cinnamon, cumin and a dash of cayenne ‘cuz we like our fries with an extra kick! With a combination of any of my below spice suggestions, you basically can’t go wrong. Mix it up with dried herbs, too! Rosemary and thyme send sweet potatoes into major comfort food territory!

You’ll love these crispy, crunchy sweet potato fries as a simple snack or an awesome side to burgers and sandwiches. Grab the three ingredients needed, a handful of your favorite spices and get bakin’ these fabulous un-fried treats! I love to serve them with Ranch dressing and a spicy Sriracha ketchup. Yum!

Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries

Yield: Makes 3 large servings

3 sweet potatoes, peeled

1/4 cup olive oil

3 Tablespoons cornstarch

Generous amounts of salt, pepper and desired spices (see below for ideas)

Spice options (or use whatever you like!):

Paprika

Garlic powder

Chili powder

Cayenne pepper

Cinnamon

Nutmeg

Cumin

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare two large baking sheets with parchment paper.

Slice sweet potatoes into thin, uniform fries. Toss fries in olive oil, cornstarch, and desired spices. Lay fries out in one layer on prepared baking sheets, making sure not to crowd the fries, otherwise they will steam and not crisp up.

Bake for 30 minutes, watching carefully to avoid burning. Serve warm with ketchup, Ranch dressing, or your desired dipping sauce.

Adapted from The Tart Tart

52 Responses to “Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries”

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — October 28, 2013 @ 12:23 am

These fries look wonderfully addictive, I need to try your cornstarch trick!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — October 28, 2013 @ 3:56 am

How did you know that sweet potato fries are my ultimate weakness?!

Kelly — October 28, 2013 @ 4:35 am

Love crispy sweet potato fries and could totally eat these everyday :) Yours look so pretty!

Marie @ Not Enough Cinnamon.com — October 28, 2013 @ 6:21 am

Sweet Potato Fries are my FAVORITE comfort food. it’s SO SO SOOOO GOOOOD!!!! Yours look crispy to perfection yum!!

Monica — October 28, 2013 @ 6:36 am

Cornstarch?! Gotta try that!

Jamie@Milk 'n' Cookies — October 28, 2013 @ 6:48 am

Your fries look so crispy and crunchy. And I love the combo of spices you used — yum! Cayenne has become one of my go-to spices this season. I just can’t get enough!

Kim (Feed Me, Seymour) — October 28, 2013 @ 6:58 am

I’m so excited to see an incredibly crisp sweet potato fry! Achieving that texture is so challenging. And the spice blend you’re using is right up my alley! Although I’d probably toss in just a touch of Old Bay. I put Old Bay on just about everything… :)

angela @ another bite please — October 28, 2013 @ 7:28 am

you had me at crispy…i too don’t like the lame limp fries :-( so excited to try your recipe.

Alyssa — October 28, 2013 @ 7:55 am

Ugh, sweet potato fries are my kryptonite–I just can’t resist. Will definitely be making them this weekend!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — October 28, 2013 @ 8:00 am

These are cooked to perfection! Sweet potato fries are my fav.

Tieghan — October 28, 2013 @ 8:01 am

My favorite!! Yours look so perfect!!

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction — October 28, 2013 @ 8:19 am

Sweet potato fries are my favorite! Yours look perfectly crispy!

Eileen — October 28, 2013 @ 8:37 am

Okay, now I have to go buy sweet potatoes and make fries! I’ve never heard of the cornstarch trick – thanks for sharing Georgia!

Kathryn — October 28, 2013 @ 8:56 am

I love sweet potato fries – they’re one of my absolute favourite side dishes and these look totally perfect.

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health — October 28, 2013 @ 9:04 am

I heart them..and using corn starch, genius!

Aggie — October 28, 2013 @ 9:11 am

I have heard about this cornstarch trick!! Need to try it myself, these look perfect!

val — October 28, 2013 @ 10:31 am

Yum yum yum. These look perfect!

Ashley — October 28, 2013 @ 10:59 am

I’ve never heard of the cornstarch trick! But i love it! We adore sweet potato fries in our house – we don’t even bother with regular ones anymore. I need to try this version! I really like that you use the salty/sweet combo for the seasoning too!

Bree (Skinny Mommy) — October 28, 2013 @ 11:13 am

These look seriously perfect-yum!

Marie @ Little Kitchie — October 28, 2013 @ 11:32 am

These look amazing, Georgia! I also have always had a hard time getting them crispy, but cornstarch is a great idea! Will definitely be trying!!

Pam — October 28, 2013 @ 12:18 pm

YUM! I need to make these asap. Bookmarked.

Angie@Angie's Recipes — October 28, 2013 @ 12:58 pm

They look so crisp!

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs — October 28, 2013 @ 1:37 pm

Mine never crisp up, so I’m definitely trying the cornstach tip! Yay, I’m so making these soon, they look spectacular and sound like a perfect dish to carb load before my half-marathon. I’m sure they taste amazing as well, because I made your recipe for turkey meatballs yesterday and I loved it so much. Thanks for both recipes! c:

Jennie @themessybakerblog — October 28, 2013 @ 2:01 pm

That’s me most nights, too. I just don’t have the energy to cook after work. I would be happy with a big ol’ plate of these here fries. Yum!

ashley - baker by nature — October 28, 2013 @ 2:45 pm

These are one of my all-time-favorite snacks! Need to make a batch asap!

Ash-foodfashionparty — October 28, 2013 @ 5:08 pm

They look gorgeous, love sweet potato fries anytime. Great idea to bake em’ with cornstarch.
    I have to start making more of burgers, miss it.

Mr. & Mrs. P — October 28, 2013 @ 8:05 pm

Beautiful looking fries!! So much healthier than deep frying!

Gaby — October 28, 2013 @ 8:08 pm

Best. Snack. Ever.

Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry — October 28, 2013 @ 10:32 pm

I could eat these Sweet potatoes fries by the handful!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — October 28, 2013 @ 11:13 pm

I’ve used cornstarch to baked perfectly crisp fries. It truly works!

Anne ~ Uni Homemaker — October 28, 2013 @ 11:55 pm

These look fantastic Georgia and I can’t believe it’s oven baked?! Wow.. it’s “fried” perfectly! So crispy and delicious. And healthy too! I love it! :)

Joanne — October 29, 2013 @ 5:52 am

I made some pretty soggy, lackluster sweet potato fries last night so I am definitely going to try your version! They look so perfectly crispy!

Annalise @ Completely Delicious — October 29, 2013 @ 2:54 pm

Oh I so wish I had these right now to eat for lunch!

honeywhatscooking — October 29, 2013 @ 4:03 pm

I loveeeeeeee the photos. Can you believe I’ve never baked with Sweet Potatoes.. always use the idaho ones and make fries. Love this idea… I always get sweet pototo fries at Latin restaurants. :-)

Paula - bell'alimento — October 29, 2013 @ 5:47 pm

I reach for the sweet potato fries over regular every single time. Love these.

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies — October 29, 2013 @ 7:56 pm

I gasped out loud when I read your tip for getting them to crisp up–oh yes, I am that much of a nerd for sweet potato fries. :) I am totally going to try this!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — October 29, 2013 @ 9:04 pm

Ah so cornstarch is the secret! I like sweet potato fries drizzled with maple syrup – and the crispier, the better!

Rachel @thedessertchronicles — October 29, 2013 @ 9:06 pm

So excited to learn this little secret! I love making sweet potato fries at home, but I can never get them to crisp up in the oven. I will have to add cornstarch and try your spice mix next time!

Nami | Just One Cookbook — October 30, 2013 @ 3:18 pm

I’m definitely going to try this ASAP. I love sweet potatoes, and yours are truly perfection. I can see very well from the beautiful pictures you took. I’m super tempted right now and going to get sweet potatoes on the way to pick up my kids! Excited!!!

Teresa Blackburn — October 30, 2013 @ 9:00 pm

Thanks so much for the cornstarch tip! I now know how to get really crisp fries when I make/bake them at home. Great tip.

marcie — October 30, 2013 @ 10:31 pm

Forget regular fries, it’s all about sweet potato fries for me. These look absolutely perfect, Georgia!

carly — October 31, 2013 @ 12:03 pm

Soaking the sweet potato fries for an hour or so before baking helps keep them crispy too!

Ramona — November 2, 2013 @ 6:38 am

Gorgeous fries! I love that you gave the sweet potato such a sexy look with these fries. :)

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — November 4, 2013 @ 4:37 pm

We love sweet potatoes any which way in our house…especially crispy in the shape of fries! Read about cornstarch being such a workhorse to get the crispy exterior for oven fries. Just haven’t tried it yet (with tapioca starch), but now I simply must! Such inviting photography here, Georgia. Thanks for sharing!

godfrey — November 7, 2013 @ 12:34 am

Hi i like your recipes and would like to use them on my blog,would you be okay with that?

• Georgia — November 7th, 2013 @ 8:47 am

Sorry, but I do not allow my content (photos, recipes) to be used on other blogs. Please do not re-publish on your site.

Jolanda — November 19, 2013 @ 7:14 am

Wow, looks so yummy! Can I subtitute the cornstarch with arrowroot?

• Georgia — November 19th, 2013 @ 10:39 am

I’ve never tried it, but it could work!

Chelsea @ Gal on a Mission — January 29, 2014 @ 12:42 pm

Oh yum! These looks absolutely delicious. I have tried making sweet potato fries before, but had a hard time getting them really crispy.

Brenda Mills — April 7, 2014 @ 7:46 pm

Had not thought of using corn starch to crisp up oven fries, but I have used it for years in making crispier crust on coconut shrimp,fried green beans,etc. just mix in with your flour or breading of choice very well, works well on chicken strips also.Now I’ll try your sweet potato fries!

BP — April 8, 2014 @ 2:59 pm

Hi,

I am wondering if you could make a slight clarification.

Do you add the CS and spice to the oil or do you oil first and then put in the CS and spice mix?

Thanks! Can’t wait to try this recipe!

• Georgia — April 8th, 2014 @ 7:22 pm

Just toss the fries in a mixture of all three (cornstarch, oil and spices). You don’t need to combine them all first.