Warm up with a bowl of this scrumptious soup made with roasted tomatoes, fresh basil and topped with crunchy, cheesy Parmesan crisps!
We’re fresh back from the beautiful Berkshires and six delicious days spent with family and friends. Our days were spent admiring the lovely leaves during long walks, reading by a roaring fire and whipping up giant pots of chili, chowder and soup. And I mean lots of soup, since I definitely forgot what cold felt like!
There’s just nothing better than admiring New England’s beauty this time of year. So, if you do get a chance to visit, take a good camera, a cozy sweater (or five), and an empty belly. Fill it promptly with all the chowdah and cider donuts you can find. It’s a gorgeous place to gorge yourself!
The lake house we called ours for those days was home to a big, gleaming kitchen so I took every opportunity to cook up a few simple, satisfying meals for our foursome. Though I didn’t get the chance to make this soup, it remains one of my all-time fall favorites and I know you’ll love it, too.
Rich and velvety smooth, this roasted tomato soup warms you right to the bone. Fresh tomatoes, onions, garlic, and simple seasonings combine to make a truly terrific meal. This recipe serves only 3, but feel free to double it for plenty more, and freeze, refrigerate and reheat. It does all beautifully.
Top it off with a toasty Parmesan crisp for added crunch and flavor, and a bit more basil to lighten things up. For this recipe I used crisps from Kitchen Table Bakers (found at Whole Foods), but I’ve included my favorite crisp recipe for you below.
Even if you don’t get the chance to kick around leaves or bake a bunch of pies anytime soon, this warm roasted tomato soup will give you that happy fall feeling!
Roasted Tomato Basil Soup with Parmesan Crisps
Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- 2 lbs. Roma tomatoes (about 8) halved lengthwise
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 32 oz. can whole tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 5-6 fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 heaping Tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
- Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- On a lined baking sheet, toss tomato halves with 2 Tbsp. olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped onion and cook 7 to 8 minutes, or until onions are golden brown. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add canned tomatoes and chicken broth, and increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove roasted tomatoes from oven. To the soup add roasted tomatoes, whole basil leaves, salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender or food processor, puree soup until mostly smooth. Pour soup through a sieve into another medium pot.
- Parmesan Crisps
- Set pot to medium heat and simmer soup for 2 minutes. Add heavy cream, stir and remove from heat. Serve, topping with additional basil leaves and Parmesan Crisps (recipe below), if desired.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place 4 tablespoons Parmesan onto a silicone or parchment lined baking sheet. Space each tablespoon about an inch apart. Lightly pat down with your fingers.
- Bake for 3 to 5 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Allow to cool.
- Serve with your favorite soup, stew or salad.