Tender, melt-in-your-mouth skillet beef in a rich, buttery caramelized onion gravy! This incredible, classic 30-minute meal comes together quick and easy, with basic ingredients from your pantry. Pure comfort served over hot mashed potatoes or noodles.
Craving some stick-to-your-ribs comfort food for those colder nights? Have I got just the thing for you!
Salisbury steak is one of those classics that will keep you coming back for more. This 30-minute meal is easy to make, budget friendly, and loved by kids and adults alike! Toss the freezer section variety in favor of this scrumptious, savory homemade Salisbury steak. Every bite is absolutely mouthwatering.
So, what is Salisbury steak? It’s not steak at all, but seasoned ground beef patties, formed into the shape of steak. I like to use 90/10 ground beef, since you don’t want your pan too greasy. To cook, you sizzle the steaks in a buttery skillet with caramelized onions and a rich brown gravy. Serve over hot mashed potatoes or noodles for an easy, family friendly dinner that everyone will love.
Are you hungry yet?
The steps to this quick and easy, delicious dinner are so easy!
Simply mix up your grown beef, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, Dijon, salt and pepper. Form the mixture into 4-6 oval patties, fry them in a butter-olive oil mixture until golden and crispy. Remove the “steaks” from the skillet. Toss your onions into the hot butter to caramelize and brown.
Once your onions have softened, pour in your gravy mixture of beef broth, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce. It’s starting to smell good, right?
If your sauce needs a little thickening, add a slurry. This is a mixture of cornstarch and water that you whip up, then add to your skillet. Let that sauce bubble away, and get nice and thick!
This dish is unreal, easy and so scrumptious served over hot mashed potatoes or hot noodles. The whole family will love it. Try it tonight!
Skillet Salisbury Steaks
For The Steaks:
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. butter + 1 Tbsp. olive oil for the skillet
For The Gravy:
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch + 1 teaspoon water
For The Steaks:
- Combine the ground beef, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, Dijon, salt and pepper. Mix well until combined. Form into 4-6 oval patties, about 3/4-inch thick.
- Heat butter and oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Fry patties on both sides until no longer pink in the middle. Remove from skillet.
For The Gravy:
- Reduce heat to medium and add sliced onions. Stir and cook until golden brown and soft, 4-5 minutes. Add beef broth, ketchup and Worcestershire. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water. Stir in and cook to reduce, until thickened and bubbly.
- Return patties to the gravy and spoon gravy over top. Let simmer and warm up for a couple of minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy!