These fresh, delicious turkey or chicken salad sandwiches are the most mouthwatering way to use your leftover Thanksgiving turkey! So easy, light and scrumptious.
While Thanksgiving one of my favorite days of the year, my second favorite is undoubtedly the next day. Instead of moving hurriedly with herds of Christmas shoppers, my husband and I enjoy the cozy comforts of home. We cuddle up in soft pajamas and get all our shopping done in front of our laptops with hot mugs of cider or cocoa. We spend the day hanging glittery, cheery Christmas things and making the house feel merry. And, best of all, we make something delicious from our leftover goodies (mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry relish) from the day before. If we’re lucky to have leftovers.
We have always resorted to the usual pile-it-all-together Thanksgiving sandwich/smorgasbord. Turkey, cranberries, stuffing and more, all piled into two pieces of bread that buckle under the weight. So, this year, I decided to be a bit more inventive and try something unique… which ended up being better than any Thanksgiving leftovers sandwich we have ever made!
These sandwiches are a mouthwatering medley of tender cooked turkey (or chicken), crisp red grapes, celery, scallions, and a chopped white cheddar. You can also use mozzarella or any firmer cheese you prefer. I like to add sliced almonds for a nutty crunch, but you can omit them if you’d like. There really is no going wrong with this killer sandwich!
Of course, it’s not a turkey salad sandwich without Hellmann’s® Real Mayonnaise, though! A creamy mixture of light mayonnaise and tangy Dijon mustard make these easy, fresh sandwiches absolutely scrumptious… and keep them healthy yet hearty! Depending if you like a more creamy or dry sandwich, you can add more or less mayonnaise and Dijon.
Chopped Turkey or Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- 1 pound roasted turkey or chicken breast chopped
- 1 cup seedless red grapes halved
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 4 ounces white cheddar or mozzarella cubed
- 1/3 cup Hellman’s Best Foods mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds optional
- Baby spinach or lettuce leaves
- Whole-grain sandwich bread or halved baguettes
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir until well combined. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Add a little more (or less) of anything you like. Place spinach/lettuce on top of sandwich bread or baguettes and spoon turkey salad on top.
- Refrigerate in a re-sealable container for up to 3 days.