Homemade Chocolate Magic Shell

It just doesn’t get better than this, y’all.

For this fun little treat, all you need is coconut oil and a cup of chocolate chips! And hungry, willing taste testers to pour the sauce over vanilla ice cream and watch the magic happen…

As a new member of HEB’s Primo Picks, I was super excited to receive a package brimming with Texas-made goodies. Among them were luscious barbecue sauces and bath bombs, crisp cookies and coconut water, and this fabulous Central Market Coconut Oil. I had never used coconut oil before, but I’m totally hooked on it now! It can be used for sautéing, stir frying, baking, or as a dairy-free replacement to butter or vegetable oil in just about any recipe! It has great beauty benefits, too.

Fun fact: Seconds after I took the coconut oil photo, I dropped my camera, the spoon flipped up in the air, and the oil smothered my precious camera and lens. Broke my best lens and made my camera smell like a beach. Fun, huh? Hidy ho, to the repair shop I go…

But, back to the good stuff – This homemade chocolate shell is just the coolest. Just like with a Dairy Queen dipped cone (an all-time favorite treat of ours), the sauce goes on smooth and hardens in seconds. To give it a little “push”, put it in the fridge or freezer to firm it up even faster. What results is sheer magic – a hard, chocolatey shell surrounding your scrumptious dessert!

It even gives dipped fruit (strawberries, bananas, raspberries, orange slices) that extra sweet somethin’.

Just zap your two ingredients in the microwave, give ‘em a stir, and wait (kinda agonizing, I know) for the sauce to come to room temperature. Once its ready, your favorite frozen treats are ready to be coated in magic chocolate goodness!

You can change up the chocolate in this recipe, too. White, milk chocolate or semisweet are all A-okay and will turn out a delicious sauce. Put yours in a jar to keep it for up to a month!

Homemade Chocolate Magic Shell

Yield: Makes 1 cup

1 cup chocolate chips (semisweet, milk chocolate, white, etc.)
2 Tbsp. coconut oil

In a medium, microwave-safe bowl, stir together chocolate chips and coconut oil. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Remove and stir. Continue microwaving and stirring in 15-second intervals until melted and smooth. Let sit until chocolate reaches room temperature.

Serve with ice cream, or cover and store at room temperature (not in a refrigerator) for up to 1 month.

You can substitute butter or shortening for the coconut oil

Chocolate shell sauce is also great for dipping strawberries and other fruit

Adapted from Gimme Some Oven

Disclosure: Products were provided by H-E-B for my review. All opinions are my own.

47 Responses to “Homemade Chocolate Magic Shell”

Deborah — May 30, 2013 @ 12:20 am

My kids would go crazy for this!!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — May 30, 2013 @ 1:00 am

I have to try this, I can’t believe it’s that easy. Love your photos!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — May 30, 2013 @ 2:21 am

Coconut oil is the best and this is an excellent way to put it to good use!

Jennie @themessybakerblog — May 30, 2013 @ 6:25 am

Your poor lens! I hope it’s fixed in a jif. I love this chocolate shell! It’s healthy with that coconut oil, right? Right.

Mandy - The Complete Cook Book — May 30, 2013 @ 6:40 am

Oh no, how horrible about your camera!
    My hubby will love this – need to invest in some coconut oil.
    :-) Mandy xo

The Café Sucre Farine — May 30, 2013 @ 6:54 am

I just bought a new jar of coconut oil, perfect timing! This sounds so fun and yummy!

steph@stephsbitebybite — May 30, 2013 @ 6:59 am

This shell looks picture perfect! I’m so ready to smash it and eat it up!

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet — May 30, 2013 @ 8:01 am

I seriously need to make this like today!!

Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) — May 30, 2013 @ 8:09 am

Wow, that looks so incredible. I am such a fan of chocolate magic shells!!! Aren’t they the best?

Rach — May 30, 2013 @ 8:13 am

Oh my goodness! I would flip out if my camera got coated in coconut oil like that! Yikes! I hope they were able to repair everything!

On the bright side, this looks great! i love how smooth the chocolate shell came out!

angela @ another bite please — May 30, 2013 @ 8:17 am

oh no so sorry to hear about your camera :-( flying spoons the dangers in our world of food blogging…to the recipe love the 2 ingredients you used. gosh 2. easy peasy..going to make this soon for the kiddos :-)

Kathy — May 30, 2013 @ 8:20 am

Wow! My kids would think I’m the greatest if I made this for them! They would flip!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — May 30, 2013 @ 8:40 am

Is it completely weird that I’ve never had magic shell … ever? I totally want it now!

Laura @ The Rookie Cook — May 30, 2013 @ 8:45 am

Oh my gosh, I had no idea that this would be so easy to do! Definitely going to make this today.
    Ps. Sorry about your camera :(

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — May 30, 2013 @ 9:22 am

Love homemade chocolate magic shell! It’s even better when topped with lots of sprinkles!

Mimi @ Culinary Couture — May 30, 2013 @ 9:33 am

So sorry to hear about your camera! Just out of curiosity, can you taste the coconut oil or does the chocolate flavor overpower it?

• Georgia — May 30th, 2013 @ 11:10 am

You can hardly taste the coconut flavor, but if you’re concerned you can replace it with butter or vegetable oil. :)

Pam — May 30, 2013 @ 10:09 am

My kids will be thrilled! Bookmarked.

Nami | Just One Cookbook — May 30, 2013 @ 11:24 am

Today is my son’s 7th birthday and I am going to serve this after school. He’ll be SUPER excited!!! So sorry to hear about your camera and lens… I take step-by-step pictures all the time and this is one of my fear I always have… LOL.

ashley - baker by nature — May 30, 2013 @ 11:50 am

I LOVE this. I just made a magic shell for my ice cream last week and fell hard for the idea. Gorgeous pictures, too.

Dan from Platter Talk — May 30, 2013 @ 12:38 pm

Fantastic idea, especially with kids and summer coming up. On the other hand, with or without kids, and regardless of the season, I could eat this any ole’ day or night! Great post and great pics!

Mel — May 30, 2013 @ 1:29 pm

Oh my gosh, I hope your camera and lens is all right after the repair. Jeez! Talk about a sacrifice for homemade magic shell. In other news, I’m a total coconut oil junkie even though I just jumped on board the coconut oil train a few months ago. I use it for everything but between you and me, the homemade magic shell has been our favorite concoction with it so far.

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — May 30, 2013 @ 4:01 pm

Yikes! I hope your camera and lens gets fix soon! Did i say how much I admire your enthusiasm even after all this? :)

And I love coconut oil on everything. Really.

Paula — May 30, 2013 @ 10:12 pm

First of all, I’m so sorry to hear about your camera and lens :( I hope you are able to get things repaired without too hefty of a price tag.

Secondly, thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I can’t wait to make some of this. I always have coconut oil in the house because I use it to make a great skin moisturizer. Now I have another, more delicious use for it ;)

Julia {The Roasted Root} — May 31, 2013 @ 12:19 am

It’s perfect! By golly that’s the most perfect magic shell I ever did see! I have coconut oil on hand and love that the recipe only requires two ingredients. Life changer for sure!

Liz — May 31, 2013 @ 7:19 am

What a gorgeous bowl of ice cream! My family would love to have your homemade magic shell on their sundaes :) So sorry about your lens….sounds like something that would happen to me :/

Joanne — May 31, 2013 @ 8:42 am

Magic shell is such a beautiful thing..and I love that the homemade version has only two ingredients!! Such a bonus when you look at the ingredient list on the storebought stuff.

Angie@Angie's Recipes — May 31, 2013 @ 8:49 am

What a colourful and intriguing bowl of ice cream!

Jessica — May 31, 2013 @ 9:41 am

That is too funny! …great minds and all that! ;-)

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef — May 31, 2013 @ 10:30 am

Oh NO on the lens and camera. Poor thing. I love making magic shell but not as much as my husband likes eating it on homemade ice cream.

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — May 31, 2013 @ 11:11 am

I love finding new uses for coconut oil! I have an endless supply of it at all times :)

Cassie — May 31, 2013 @ 12:43 pm

Oh no! I hope your favorite lens is fixed soon…that is no good! All in the name of chocolate, though. :-) This is fabulous, Georgia and the photos are stunning!

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — May 31, 2013 @ 8:56 pm

Oh, my lands! Georgia, your styling and photography makes Homemade Chocolate Magic Shell look so colorful and inviting! (Sorry to hear your camera is in disrepair and you broke your lens! Ugh. Boohoo!) Homemade Magic Shell has been circulating within the low carb community (forums) for nearly two decades now. So happy to see the benefits of coconut oil going viral! We make this all the time and just had it tonight over our Coconut Bliss vanilla coconut milk ice cream for a great non-dairy treat! xo P.S. Don’t know why your post didn’t pop up in my Bloglovin’ reader yesterday. I’m miffed! :( Must check to see if there is a similarly named blog I followed in error!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — May 31, 2013 @ 9:40 pm

Ooh, I haven’t had magic shell in SO long! I remember when it came out and I was OBSESSED. Like, borderline needing-psychiatric-help because I’d drink the bottle obsessed. This looks SO good!!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — May 31, 2013 @ 10:10 pm

Eeeee I was just thinking I needed to make sure this recipe was just chocolate & coconut oil, because I’m gonna be needing some magic shell soon. Mind reader ;)

And I LOOOOVE coconut oil-it is currently my favorite moisturizer for my face, too! lol

Irina @ wandercrush — June 1, 2013 @ 5:51 am

Ingenius! So easy, too…just in time for summer ice cream binges. Thanks for sharing!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — June 1, 2013 @ 12:20 pm

2 ingredients that I always have on hand?! Yeah, this is going to end up with me making this EVERY SINGLE DAY.

It’s going to be epic.

CCU — June 1, 2013 @ 5:15 pm

Haha my favourite topping in the world my friend, this looks fantastic :D

Cheers
    CCU

Natalie — June 1, 2013 @ 8:22 pm

Oh my this looks wonderful, good stuff!

Teresa, foodonfifth — June 2, 2013 @ 6:45 am

Such as beautiful photograph to start out this fun and timely (the heat!!) post. Love how you know the chocolate shell will have that nice little “cracking” noise when you dig into it with your spoon…the coolness of the ice cream….just the perfect dessert for summer.

Amy Jeanne — June 2, 2013 @ 11:28 am

Do you know if butterscotch chips would work in place of the chocolate? I would LOVE to make this in butterscotch if it is possible.

• Georgia — June 2nd, 2013 @ 11:50 am

Probably! I’ve never tried it but I think it would work…

Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie — June 2, 2013 @ 4:12 pm

Yes! I love making homemade magic shell – I think I have a jar of coconut oil calling my name… :)

Yvonne @ bitter baker — June 2, 2013 @ 8:42 pm

This us really making me want ice cream!! Especially with a magic shell :)

McDonna — June 23, 2013 @ 8:25 pm

This was so ridiculously easy! We have a countertop ice cream maker, so when the weather is warm, we have home made ice cream daily. Adding this chocolate shell makes it that much more delicious, and that much more fun! Thank you!

Elizabeth — March 3, 2014 @ 11:53 am

Thank you so much for sharing this delicious recipe! I’ve made it a few times, and my only complaint is how hard it is when frozen. I have to be careful not to bite down until it melts a bit. Any suggestions? More coconut oil or add vegetable oil, too? I’ve been using a solid coconut oil that resembles shortening, not a liquid oil.

• Georgia — March 9th, 2014 @ 9:27 am

I also used a solid coconut oil, but I wouldn’t suggest freezing the magic shell. The “magic” of it is that it hardens without needing to be frozen! More oil will only make it harder.