Croque Madame & Monsieur

Croque Madame and Monsieur

When we lived in Los Angeles, my husband and I used to frequent this bustling little French bakery on the West side. It’s called La Dijonaise and they make a croque madame (and monsieur!) that’s so good it will make your croissant-loving head spin.

Never had one before? You’re in for a treat.

Croque Madame

This fancy looking but oh-so easy French treat is traditionally made with butter, ham, French bread, eggs and thinly sliced Gruyère cheese, but you can substitute in Swiss. I promise it will deliver just as much melty, mouthwatering, gooey goodness as the real thing.

Croque Monsieur

Skip the egg for an authentic croque monsieur, but if you want the real deal, here’s your key…

Two thick slices of French bread are slathered on one side with butter. One slice is pan-fried and topped with ham and Swiss (or Gruyère), then topped with the other piece of bread and flipped over to fry for just a few minutes more. Place the sandwich on a plate, smooth on a bit of mayonnaise, and into a 400 degree oven it goes while you fry an egg. Take out the plate – slide the egg on top, and voila! You’ve just created a fancy French breakfast in five minutes. Ooh la la!

Croque Madame Recipe

Make these as a delicious, quick ‘n easy Easter morning breakfast or brunch and your guests will be singing your high praises!

PrintPrint Recipe

Croque Madame & Monsieur

Yield: Makes 2 sandwiches

3 tablespoons unsalted butter

4 slices French bread

4 thin slices Gruyere or Swiss cheese

6 thin slices ham

1-2 tablespoons mayonnaise

Add these ingredients to make croque madame…

2 large eggs

Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Butter 1 side of each bread slice.

Set both slices bread, buttered side down, in a large skillet set to medium-high heat. Cover each piece of bread with 1 slice cheese, 3 slices ham, and top slice of bread, buttered side up. Cook sandwiches until bottom is golden brown and cheese is melted, about 2 minutes per side.

Place sandwiches on an oven-safe plate. Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on the top of each sandwich, and then place a slice of cheese on top. (This is a croque monsieur. To make a croque madame, read on!)

Melt 1 tablespoon butter in same skillet over medium-high heat. Cook each egg sunny side up. Turn egg over and cook 1 minute longer for a soft-cooked egg, or 3 minutes longer for a hard-cooked egg.

Place 1 fried egg atop each sandwich. Season egg, to taste, with salt and pepper. Serve sandwich immediately.

Adapted from Paula Deen

47 Responses to “Croque Madame & Monsieur”

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — April 4, 2012 @ 7:06 am

This looks incredibly sophisticated and elegant, yet it seems really easy to make. I’ll have to make this for my next brunch party and impress the crap out of everyone :)

london bakes — April 4, 2012 @ 8:28 am

There isn’t much better in life than a croque madame/monseiur, preferably with a side of fries too. Gorgeous pictures, as ever, so full of light.

Lea — April 4, 2012 @ 11:14 am

gruyere IS swiss cheese ^^

thecompletecookbook — April 4, 2012 @ 12:01 pm

Takes a toasted ham and egg to a very scrumptious level.
    :-) Mandy

Erin @ Brownie Bites — April 4, 2012 @ 12:26 pm

Our friends made this for us one morning, and it was oh so delicious!

Jenn — April 4, 2012 @ 12:34 pm

I adore croque madames… but have never made them myself. Strange since they are so easy! Yours look amazing!

Paula — April 4, 2012 @ 12:47 pm

Wonderful! Photos are so enticing.

Mireia Badia — April 4, 2012 @ 1:10 pm

It’s lunch time here and you’re making me hungry!!

Jeno @ Weeknite Meals — April 4, 2012 @ 1:42 pm

Oh Georgia, your beautiful sandwich reminds me of the cafes we frequented while visiting San Francisco, and boy how I miss those deliciousness! Don’t think I’ve had a proper Croque Madam & Monsieur in my life, because when it comes to French food, we’ve only gone to La Madelaine, and everyone knows that’s not really French… Will give this recipe a try real soon!

Jennie @themessybakerblog — April 4, 2012 @ 1:45 pm

I want one for breakfast right now. This looks amazing. Love your site.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — April 4, 2012 @ 2:57 pm

Now that is a sandwich!

Cassie/Bake Your Day — April 4, 2012 @ 3:02 pm

Anything on French bread is my kind of meal. This sounds so good, and your story about the French place in LA is great, I love remaking restaurant favorites at home!

Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 — April 4, 2012 @ 4:03 pm

I’ve heard of these, but I haven’t tried them yet. Yours look so good!

Tina — April 4, 2012 @ 4:17 pm

This has all the bonuses I look for in a recipe: awesome presentation, delicious flavors and easy to prepare! Wish this had been my breakfast, but it will be soon. Great post!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — April 4, 2012 @ 7:31 pm

This is sooooo pretty Georgia! Your egg is perfectly cooked. I always mess it up somehow, haha.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — April 4, 2012 @ 7:38 pm

I had this for the first time when I was visiting law schools. So good!!! I couldn’t stop eating mine!

Bree — April 4, 2012 @ 8:01 pm

Oh la la! This looks awesome.

Nami | Just One Cookbook — April 4, 2012 @ 11:46 pm

I’ve never had this dish before! Looks so good, and the best part is that all ingredients are something we always have in the fridge! This is a brand new way of cooking!

Baking Serendipity — April 5, 2012 @ 12:58 am

I love fancy sandwiches that are simple in disguise :) Perfect Easter breakfast!

Julie @ Table for Two — April 5, 2012 @ 1:14 am

wow these are gorgeous! Georgia, I would love to eat these for brunch!

Lizzy — April 5, 2012 @ 1:22 am

I had my first one of these on my honeymoon…26 years ago this week. I fell in love with it immediately….yours are perfect!

Baker Street — April 5, 2012 @ 2:10 am

Oh that’s just oozing with cheese and has everything I’ll ever want! This would just make the perfect meal G!

Asmita — April 5, 2012 @ 2:13 am

I want that sandwich. Looks yummylicious! I am going to make it this weekend. Love it!!!

Alison — April 5, 2012 @ 3:03 am

These are the key to my husband’s heart. He ate these regularly growing in Europe. :)

Pam — April 5, 2012 @ 3:58 am

I don’t think a sandwich can get much better than that. It looks AMAZING!

The Harried Cook — April 5, 2012 @ 4:03 am

Love a good croque monsieur and your plate of food looks amazing! The pictures are gorgeous and elegant… Love this post! Thanks for sharing :)

Angie's Recipes — April 5, 2012 @ 5:04 am

Never had this…it looks divine!

victoriouseating — April 5, 2012 @ 6:18 am

Mayo? What about Sauce Mornay? Now THAT is the real deal :)

Choc Chip Uru — April 5, 2012 @ 7:30 am

My father saw one look at this and was blown over. He says to tell you thank you :D

Happy Easter!
    Choc Chip Uru

Doux Rousse — April 5, 2012 @ 10:53 am

What’s the saying about the croque madame and monsieur? The man gets the hat? Is that it? Haha.

So I’m forgoing my regular style posts today on my blog to join the ranks of you wonderful food bloggers! Check out my post!

XO,
    Caitlin

Suzi — April 5, 2012 @ 12:27 pm

I have never made this but it does tasty and I love your presentation.

Erin — April 5, 2012 @ 1:33 pm

I’ve never had a croque monsieur before and to be honest it’s never really sounded appealing to me…but these pictures look delicious and now I am craving one!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — April 5, 2012 @ 2:11 pm

“Croque Madame & Monsieur” sounds so fancy! it looks incredible, Georgia. i just love the variety of recipes on your site.

Erika - The Teenage Taste — April 5, 2012 @ 3:12 pm

This looks extremely fancy and delicious! Perfect for Easter! Your photography is beautiful, Georgia!

purecomplex.com — April 5, 2012 @ 7:20 pm

This is the perfect sandwich to enjoy any day of the week. Especially on a lazy day. Love the recipe

eatgood4life.blogspot.com — April 6, 2012 @ 12:03 am

Now this is breakfast, who wouldn’t want to eat this? The ham reminds me of prodciutto, yum, yum!! I would love to eat this tomorrow morning :-) Beautiful pictures by the way.

Bake-A-Holic — April 6, 2012 @ 12:24 am

Every time I see a recipe for these, I always want to make them. Yours look so delicious! One of these days…

Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen — April 6, 2012 @ 2:38 am

These photos are making me drool!! Looks great :) I love your blog, I just came across yours on another page. Keep up the great work.

brandi — April 6, 2012 @ 1:50 pm

i adored croque madames – like, seriously, am in love with them. our local bakery makes an incredible croque monsieur, but it’s so much fun to make them at home!

Pacheco Patty — April 7, 2012 @ 3:27 am

This is one of my favorites and they look just perfect!

Tracy — April 9, 2012 @ 6:15 pm

These photos have me drooling. What a gorgeous and simple sandwich!!

Val — April 10, 2012 @ 3:37 am

Oh my, I just made one of these this weekend after watching it’s complicated and I must say…yours looks way better. Yum. I want to eat another one.

Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef — April 12, 2012 @ 10:31 pm

I’ve eaten heaps of croque monsieur but never a madame – wacky. I will change that this weekend.

Paula {Salad in a Jar} — April 13, 2012 @ 8:54 pm

This looks like a great way to finish up what’s left of my Easter ham. I love anything with fried or poached eggs.

Jen Laceda | Tartine and Apron Strings — April 15, 2012 @ 4:07 am

i’m excited for tomorrow…because i’m fixing this for breakfast!!!

Audra — April 16, 2012 @ 1:39 pm

Georgia- I ADORE a cook Croque Madame & Monsieur! Yours looks perfect and totally authentic. What a delicious sandwich…

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — April 16, 2012 @ 6:52 pm

YUMMY!!!! That looks so delicious. I’ve never made or tasted croque madame or monsieur before. Gotta change that soon!!!!