Italian Roast Beef Sandwiches

Roast Beef Red Pepper Provolone Sandwich

One of my favorite things to do in the spring and summer is make sandwiches, hop in the car with my hubby and set off for somewhere to have a picnic. Sometimes it’s the beach, or a mountaintop, or even just a park bench. It’s such a fun thing to do when nothing else is on our weekend agendas. Plus, soaking up the sunshine, noshing on a sandwich outside and enjoying good conversation always keeps me smiling for the rest of the day.

Roast Beef Red Pepper Sandwich

My favorite sandwich for picnicking is this: Deli-sliced roast beef, roasted red peppers, provolone and fresh basil on a warm, toasted roll. It tastes similar to what we used to get at Dino’s, a favorite restaurant steps from our first apartment in Boston’s Italian district, the North End.

We’re making new memories now, though, and this time on the sandy beaches and high hills of Southern California. Topped with gooey melted Sargento® Deli Style Sliced Provolone Cheese (you could also use sliced mozzarella), soft and flavorful roasted red peppers and fresh basil, this is one delicious deli-style sandwich perfect for a lazy weekend lunch!

Italian Roast Beef Sandwich

If you’ve never roasted a bell pepper or eaten a slice on a sandwich before, it’s a truly easy thing to do and is a magical taste. Check out this excellent, easy guide from Kevin at Closet Cooking on how to roast red peppers for yourself, the same way I do. Once you taste them with this sandwich, you’ll never go back to the store-bought jarred variety!

Italian Roast Beef Sandwiches

Yield: Serves 4 (1 sandwich each)

4 thick sandwich rolls, split
Cooking spray
8 slices roast beef (get the good stuff at the deli counter, it’s worth it)
4-6 roasted red pepper slices, jarred or homemade
4 slices Sargento® Deli Style Sliced Provolone Cheese
4 basil leaves

Lightly coat inside of halved rolls with cooking spray and toast until lightly browned in a toaster, toaster oven or oven on a low setting.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Line a small baking sheet with aluminum foil and place the bottom of each roll on sheet. Top the bottoms with roast beef and Provolone cheese. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bread is warm. Remove from oven and top each sandwich with 1-2 red pepper slices and 1 basil leaf. Top each sandwich with its top roll, and serve immediately.

27 Responses to “Italian Roast Beef Sandwiches”

marla — February 21, 2011 @ 1:15 pm

You picnics sound wonderful! I must take my kids out with a giant picnic basket as the weather gets warmer. These sandwiches look awesome & I love roasted bell peppers too :)

warmvanillasugar — February 21, 2011 @ 1:50 pm

These are so cute! Love this sandwich.

Jenn — February 21, 2011 @ 2:43 pm

Oohh….picnics are so cute!! I love that you two do that together!
    I’m with you… roasted red peppers on a sandwich can take a really good sandwich and make it incredible!!! Yours look so pretty too! YUM!

Megan — February 21, 2011 @ 3:19 pm

Georgia – I am with you! Love hiking with a delicious picnic to look forward to. These sandwiches sound absolutely divine! I love the addition of the roasted bell pepper. :)

Faith — February 21, 2011 @ 4:30 pm

I think that this is one of the nst sandwiches I’ve seen. It looks divine !. I love that you guys do picnics together. That is so romantic.

Have a great week ahead.

Suzanne — February 21, 2011 @ 6:03 pm

mmm…great looking sandwich. The colors and photos make me want to take a bite.

Angie's Recipes — February 21, 2011 @ 8:01 pm

The sandwich look extremely inviting! Love the roasted bell peppers there.

oneordinaryday — February 21, 2011 @ 8:59 pm

Yum-o!!! This sounds totally wonderful. How I wish it was warm enough for a picnic!

smalltownoven — February 21, 2011 @ 10:20 pm

Big hearty sandwiches and a picnic make a fantastic afternoon in my opinion.

Melissa @IWasBornToCook — February 22, 2011 @ 1:34 am

These look amazing…almost too good to eat!

Jennifurla — February 22, 2011 @ 2:08 am

I have just recently discovered a love for roasted red peppers, I must try them on a sanwich…or bagel with cream cheese. This looks lovely.

Christina — February 22, 2011 @ 2:41 am

This sounds great! I don’t believe I’ve ever had roasted bell peppers on a sandwich before- sounds wonderful! And I love picnics too, one of my favorite things to do in the summer time.

Pam — February 22, 2011 @ 2:55 am

Well don’t they look extra tasty! I love the red peppers on there… yum.

scrambledhenfruit — February 22, 2011 @ 4:05 am

Your sandwich looks delectable! Perfect for a picnic or to enjoy anywhere!

Katie@Cozydelicious — February 22, 2011 @ 4:21 am

Oooh, these sandwiches look wonderful! So simple and so yummy!

thecompletecookbook — February 22, 2011 @ 4:32 am

Now this is a perfect lunch. Yummy! I might add some sliced onion into the mix too, hope that’s okay.
    :-) Mandy

something good — February 22, 2011 @ 2:26 pm

mmm, roasted peppers… they are awesome in meat sandwiches and I always use them as THE perfect excuse for eating so much meat and so few veggies :)

Victor — February 22, 2011 @ 2:54 pm

Such a simple and yummy sandwich. Love the choice of ingredients.

Stephanie @ Per l'Amore del Cibo — February 22, 2011 @ 4:34 pm

I just LOVE roasted red peppers on my sandwiches…it’s such a welcome change! Your sandwiches are making me crave summer!

Kevin — February 23, 2011 @ 1:05 am

Those are some really tasty looking sandwiches!

A Canadian Foodie — February 23, 2011 @ 4:58 pm

You cannot beat a sandwich with roasted red peppers.I love them with and on everything – BUT, they have to be homemade. My favourite roast beef sandwich is my own roast prime rib with thinly sliced onions, dijon mustard, homemade garlic mayo and my home made bread. It is, unfortunately a family classic not to be messed with and reminds me of my dad every time I make one.
    Valerie

Tracy — February 23, 2011 @ 9:09 pm

What a great hearty sandwich! Yum!

Evan @swEEts — February 24, 2011 @ 8:12 pm

Holy deliciousness.. I need to come on picnics with you, because our sandwiches would probably be pb&j! These sound perfect for the summer time and so do those pancakes!

Aisha Jameel — February 28, 2011 @ 3:50 am

Your dishes look yum … loved the presentation of the food ! good work
    you can view some of my dishes on http://kitchensojourn.blogspot.com ! i would be really happy if you follow it

Nourhan @ Miss Anthropist's Kitchen — February 28, 2011 @ 5:15 pm

Yum! I absolutely love a good sandwich, and this looks perfect :D

Emily — March 1, 2011 @ 3:50 pm

YUM. These look so great! Michael will love them (we’re planning a picnic this weekend)

Kat — March 6, 2011 @ 9:53 pm

That looks amazing! I love roasted red peppers. It’d be really good dipped in roasted red pepper soup…:)