Strawberry Galette

“It looks like a strawberry pizza,” were the first words out of my charming husband’s mouth after seeing this scrumptious, gorgeous strawberry galette.

If making it had required more work, I would have had his head. But truth is, this little beauty is a lot of gain for not a lot of strain. All it takes is four ingredients (no, you didn’t read that wrong), plus an egg to brush on top. And, I don’t know about you, but I think it’s just the bee’s knees. Take another look…

Yea, this one won’t last you very long.

The best part is, this rustic French tart is both nice to look at and SO easy to make. You don’t even need to click below for the recipe, because you know what? I’ll tell you what you need to do right here. You need to make a pie crust, or buy one. Roll it out. Cut up a carton of strawberries lengthwise, add them to a bowl, sprinkle them with 2 tbsp. cornstarch and 3 tbsp. sugar. Overlap the strawberries in the middle of the crust, fold it inward, and bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes. Done! Oh, and don’t forget to serve that bad boy with homemade whipped cream.

I think I’ll cut myself off right here, because it’s morning, I haven’t had breakfast yet, and a lovely piece of strawberry bliss is sitting all alone under the cake dome on my kitchen table. Someone needs to tend to it, and you know what? I’m just the gal for the job.

I really do hope you give this sinfully good galette a try. It’s completely fool-proof and utterly divine, for dessert or breakfast.

Strawberry Galette

Yield: Serves 4-6

1 pie crust, store-bought or homemade
10-15 strawberries, stems removed and sliced
3 tbsp. white sugar
2 tsp. corn starch
1 egg, beaten

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Clean the strawberries, remove the stems and slice them lengthwise. Place the sliced strawberries into a bowl and sprinkle the sugar and cornstarch on top. Gently stir the strawberries until the sugar and cornstarch evenly cover the berries.

Roll out pie crust. Layer the berries overlapping each other inside the pie crust starting one inch from the edge. Fold the edge of the dough over the strawberries. Brush the dough with the beaten egg. Sprinkle all over with 1 tsp. sugar. Bake for 35-40 minutes.

Remove from the oven and let it cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing. Serve with homemade whipped cream.

26 Responses to “Strawberry Galette”

M. — May 26, 2010 @ 8:32 pm

I love strawberry galettes….and this one is just mouthwatering :)

Heather — May 26, 2010 @ 8:49 pm

Galettes are so gorgeous. I keep meaning to make one, but haven’t yet. Looks great!

Georgia — May 26, 2010 @ 8:51 pm

Thanks for your kind comments, M. and Heather! I can’t stress enough how simple and yummy this was. Definitely give it a try!

Mark — May 26, 2010 @ 10:33 pm

That is one good looking strawberry pizza!

Georgia — May 26, 2010 @ 11:44 pm

Kait — May 27, 2010 @ 7:14 pm

This looks delicious. Thanks for sharing the info about the giveaway. What a cute teapot.

Georgia — May 27, 2010 @ 8:19 pm

Thanks so much, Kait!

scrambledhenfruit — May 28, 2010 @ 1:59 am

Oh it’s just wonderful when something this beautiful looks this easy to make! Thanks for sharing your recipe for this mouthwatering dessert-I know I have to make this while I can still get some fresh local strawberries.

Linn @ Swedish Home Cooking — May 28, 2010 @ 7:56 am

Ohh, that is a really nice little galette. Would suit my sweet tooth very well ;)

Georgia — May 28, 2010 @ 3:33 pm

Doesn’t it look so easy? You should give it a try! Thanks for stopping by, ScrambledHen and Linn!

Pacheco Patty — May 28, 2010 @ 3:47 pm

Beautiful photo, congrats on your top 9! Yummy looking recipe, love the strawberries!

Georgia — May 28, 2010 @ 3:49 pm

Thank you, Patty!

Lauren — May 28, 2010 @ 4:54 pm

I’m actually dying to make one of these. I love how casual and inviting they are…

It looks like like this effortlessly glamorous version of a pie or cobbler or something.

If I could afford it, I would die to make this with boysenberries… Did you see the LA Times article about them? They basically don’t grown them in California anymore, I think there are only 70 acres devoted to growing true boysenberries. They are selling them at the Farmers Markets, but so pricey.

Anyway, I’m just having one of the mornings, staring at all the pretty things you make.

- Lauren, Lauren’s Little Kitchen

Georgia — May 28, 2010 @ 4:59 pm

Hi Lauren!

One of my favorite bloggers, Gaby, just posted about a blueberry galette: http://whatsgabycooking.com/

Both mine and hers are ridiculously easy to make. I’ve never thought of doing one with boysenberries though – That’s interesting! No, I didn’t see the Times article but I’ll have to look.

All Things Yummy — May 29, 2010 @ 6:52 pm

Wow, that looks delicious. I hope you win.

bed frames — June 2, 2010 @ 1:56 am

The strawberries are so delicious! You did a great job on the photos!

Georgia — June 2, 2010 @ 3:19 am

Thank you both for your kind comments!

Avril Miller — June 6, 2010 @ 12:46 am

Oh! Oh! Oh! Such a beautiful galette! Can’t wait to make this myself! Thanks for such a beautiful post. :-)

Rachel — May 30, 2011 @ 8:27 pm

It’s really hot outside where I am, but I was so determined to make this that I’ve got it in the toaster oven right now so I don’t heat up the place with the regular oven. I usually have to halve the temperature since the heating element is so close to the food, but it smells amazing so far and I’ve got a good feeling about this one! Thanks so much for the recipe!

Anonymous — April 14, 2012 @ 7:52 pm

Hi, I’m making this today, noticed your recipe is wrong for printable one, is supposed to be 2 Tbs. corn starch….love your recipies!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking — April 14, 2012 @ 7:55 pm

The recipe in this post and the printable recipe are the same. Not sure what you’re referring to.

neuroticmom — May 14, 2012 @ 4:06 am

Just found this recipe and can’t wait to make it in the morning! Looks so good and couldn’t be simpler to make.

Anonymous — June 11, 2012 @ 2:02 am

I tried this. It was awesome. I used frozen mixed berries and they worked great. Next time I will use just the egg white for the wash instead of the whole egg. Berries looked a bit dull because of the egg yolk.

Anonymous — June 17, 2012 @ 4:07 pm

I was looking forward to making this today, when I ran into a bit of a problem. I tried clicking on the link for the pie crust recipe but it took me to a page that said “This page does not exist”. All of the other links on this site to that page give the same result. Guess I’ll have to find a different crust.

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking — June 17, 2012 @ 4:08 pm

Sorry, I took down my pie crust recipe since I don’t use that one anymore. Try Simply Recipes’ pie crust recipe – works wonderfully!

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — May 23, 2013 @ 8:53 pm

Another great strawberry recipe! Such a pretty rustic galette!