There is nothing I like more than waking up on a slow, sunny weekend morning and tearing into a sweet and sticky cinnamon roll. My better half prefers a big pile of eggs, bacon and pancakes, but give me one of these – or twelve – and I’ll be sitting on a cloud for the rest of the day.
They may be muffins, but the taste and texture is exactly the same of everyone’s favorite breakfast treat, the cinnamon roll – soft and ooey-gooey, swirled with warm cinnamon and brown sugar, and topped with a few messy drips of white icing.
A scrumptious cinnamon roll shouldn’t have to take hours of preparation and painful waiting for the dough to rise (no patience for sweets here) . . . It should be as easy as, well, making a muffin!
I know you’ll be over the moon for these little breakfast treats, just like I am. These marvelous muffins are soft, sweet and full of the same gooey, oh-so-good cinnamon roll goodness that you know and love… They just take MUCH less time to prepare!
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 egg
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups flour
- 2 tbsp. butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cups brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp. milk or cream
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Measure the brown sugar, baking soda, salt, vanilla and egg into a mixing bowl. Add the buttermilk. Add the flour. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for a minute or two. Roll the dough into a 12-inch by 24-inch rectangle. Using a rubber spatula, spread with butter. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll the dough into a log and stretch slightly. Cut into two-inch pieces and put the pieces into greased muffin tins or muffin tins lined with cupcake papers.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow the muffins to cool for 5 minutes, and then remove from the muffin tins.
- Drizzle with icing (if using) when cool.