This dip presented a problem. I had worked so hard on my self-control after the Molten Chocolate Cakes incident, and this dip had to come along and ruin it. Or rather, after squelching my craving for onion dip for over a week, thinking it would pass, I dashed over to the grocery store specifically for the ingredients for the dip, took the time to make it, ended up with about 2 cups of the stuff, and darn it, just couldn’t help myself.
This stuff is heaven with potato chips, or as a party dish served with some cut up carrots, peppers, or broccoli. Trust me, it won’t last long!
Caramelized Onion Dip
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage leaves
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Potato chips or bite-sized vegetables for serving
- Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onions and sage. Cover and cook until onions are deep golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Whisk together mayonnaise and sour cream in a medium bowl to blend. Once they are done cooking, stir in the caramelized onions, then salt and pepper. Cover dip and refrigerate until flavors blend, about 1 hour.