Cranberry-Walnut Stuffed Pork Tenderloin

There we were, thirty-dollar beef tenderloin in hand at the grocery store, excited by the idea of presenting our Valentine’s Day dinner guests with a juicy, tender cut of steak, but completely clueless about how to cook it and frankly, suffering a bit of sticker shock.

Naturally, we called Mark’s mother then and there, begging for advice. It was plain and simple: Make a pork tenderloin instead. Pork is more quickly and uniformly cooked, you have plenty of options for dressing it up, and it’s cheaper by about $25. Sold!

I started looking up recipes right away, and though the only meat I’ve ever stuffed involved skittishly throwing herbs and garlic into the butt of a chicken, I was intrigued by the possibility of stuffing a pork loin. I was nervous about how it would turn out, but, being armed with a fantastic stuffing recipe and a man who seemed to innately know how to butterfly a pork loin, we were off to a good start.

The end result was a delicious, moist tenderloin bursting with plump berries, herbs and fluffy stuffing, complimented by roasted potatoes, asparagus, and a glass of chardonnay. Easy on your nerves (“stuffing” the meat is not a stressful process), kitchen (little cleanup), and wallet (cheaper than a half tank of gas)!

If you just follow these simple steps, you won’t be disappointed.

Cranberry-Walnut Stuffed Pork Tenderloin

1.5 to 2 lb. boneless pork tenderloin
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil

1 batch homemade Old Fashioned Bread Stuffing

Prepare my recipe for Old Fashioned Bread Stuffing, or cook prepared stuffing mix as directed on package, then add 1 cup dried cranberries and 1 cup chopped walnuts. Set aside.

"Butterfly" the pork loin in preparation for stuffing and rolling. Butterflying means cutting it so that the loin lays out flat in a rectangle instead of being in its usual cylindrical shape. Here is a website with excellent photos and instructions.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread the stuffing all over the inside of the pork loin.

Roll the pork loin and its contents all the way up. Secure the opening either with a long skewer (thread it along the edge like a needle) or tie it up tightly using kitchen string.

Heat a skillet with 2 tbsp. of olive oil on medium/high heat. When the oil is very hot, sear the pork loin on all sides until it is brown and crispy. Transfer the seared pork loin to a baking sheet and finish baking until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees (about 45 min).

When the stuffed loin is out of the oven, let it rest 10 minutes before slicing to allow the juices to redistribute into the meat. Slice the roll into 1-inch thick servings.

27 Responses to “Cranberry-Walnut Stuffed Pork Tenderloin”

Ashleigh — February 22, 2010 @ 8:51 pm

Hey. Love your photos and recipes. This looks delicious. I’m always scared to cook pork tenderloin but you’ve inspired me.

Ashleigh — February 22, 2010 @ 8:53 pm

P.S. Georgia is on my list of top baby names I’m considering. I already know it’s a girl.

Georgia — February 22, 2010 @ 8:56 pm

Hi Ashleigh, Thank you so much for your kind comments! This recipe really is a lot easier than it looks. Congratulations on your pregnancy, and what a funny coincidence about the name! I get compliments on it all the time – Sometimes, it’s even a good conversation starter, haha! Looking forward to checking out your blog! :)

All Things Yummy — February 23, 2010 @ 12:33 am

That looks so yummy. I really like the cranberry walnut combo for the stuffing.

Georgia — February 23, 2010 @ 12:40 am

Thanks! You should definitely give it a try!

Ed Schenk — February 23, 2010 @ 3:31 am

The pork loin looks wonderful. very nice flavor profile in the stuffing!

Jaclyn — February 28, 2010 @ 3:00 am

Hi! I made this recipe tonight, and it was delicous. I added a cranberry orange shallot glaze drizzle that I concocted, and served the pork over rosemary and roasted garlic whipped potatoes, with just basic roasted asparagus on the side. Your recipe was great; the stuffing especially. Thank you for being a part of our table tonight!

Georgia — February 28, 2010 @ 6:35 pm

Hi Jaclyn – I’m so happy to hear you tried the recipe and had great success with it! Your side dishes sound delicious! Thanks for visiting :)

Lindsey — March 2, 2010 @ 3:07 am

I’m full from my dinner, yet your recipe makes me want to cook again. Yummm.

Welcome! — March 2, 2010 @ 3:39 am

There’s always tomorrow, Lindsey! :)

Ashleigh — January 10, 2011 @ 9:12 pm

Georgia — January 10, 2011 @ 9:55 pm

Thanks! You should definitely give it a try!

Ed Schenk — January 10, 2011 @ 9:55 pm

The pork loin looks wonderful. very nice flavor profile in the stuffing!

Georgia — January 10, 2011 @ 9:55 pm

Jaclyn — January 10, 2011 @ 9:55 pm

Welcome! — January 10, 2011 @ 9:56 pm

There’s always tomorrow, Lindsey! :)

Lindsey — January 10, 2011 @ 9:56 pm

I’m full from my dinner, yet your recipe makes me want to cook again. Yummm.

All Things Yummy — January 10, 2011 @ 9:56 pm

That looks so yummy. I really like the cranberry walnut combo for the stuffing.

Georgia — January 10, 2011 @ 9:56 pm

Ashleigh — January 10, 2011 @ 9:56 pm

Kelly — March 24, 2011 @ 8:15 pm

I’m making this tonight actually and I’m so nervous because I’ve never butterflied a pork loin before! Looks amazing though! Did you put any type of glaze or seasoning over top before baking?

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking — March 24, 2011 @ 8:28 pm

No, I didn’t put a glaze of any kind on top (with the stuffing, it doesn’t need it), but I did season the outside with salt and pepper and a little crushed rosemary.

Kelly — March 26, 2011 @ 11:37 am

I made this last night and it tasted incredible, especially the homemade stuffing! No leftovers left! Thank you so much for sharing! :)

Anonymous — October 5, 2012 @ 4:42 am

This sounds delicious! I’m fairly new to cooking and am wondering if I am able to stuff the tenderloin and leave it overnight before I cook it?

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking — October 5, 2012 @ 1:12 pm

You could try refrigerating the whole stuffed loin overnight, but it should be room temperature before cooking. You may run into some problems with it staying together, but with a few next-day touch ups it should be fine.

Stephanie — March 15, 2013 @ 8:06 pm

Hi there, I was wondering how much the cooking times would vary if using a turkey tenderloin instead (I don’t eat pork) but really want to try this out. Thanks!!

• Georgia — March 19th, 2013 @ 10:36 pm

I’m not sure as I’ve never used a turkey tenderloin, but I think the cooking time would be increased slightly since it needs to be fully cooked and not at all pink. Just check it out after 45 minutes and if it needs more time, increase it in small increments, checking frequently.