Saucy, gooey deep dish pizza made easily in one skillet! Pat your pizza dough into a greased skillet, load it up with your favorite toppings and bake ’til bubbly. You’ll love this for weekends and easy weeknight meals!
The most exciting thing I’ve eaten in the past three days? A toasted bagel with butter. It’s been a can’t-think-about-food kind of week, with all of us (including baby) under the crushing weight of a stomach flu. But, as the week wraps up, so is this exhausting ordeal that is caring for other sick people while you’re also sick. And hallelujah for that! Because there is nothing I’ve ever done as a mom that’s more difficult.
As we’re all feeling much better, we’re slowly easing back to basic cooking. That’s meant pasta, roast chicken, and all of the best belly-filling comfort foods. Including a little homemade skillet pizza.
Having zero patience (or skill) to stretch out a pizza dough, I have always loved this method. You just oil up a skillet, pat your pizza dough around the sides, and stuff it full of your favorite toppings. So easy and delicious!
This cheesy, scrumptious deep dish pizza has been a longtime weeknight favorite. I almost always have a frozen ball of pizza dough, and while it thaws, I tear through my fridge and cupboards for topping ideas. I usually just use whatever we have on hand! That’s often pepperoni, bell peppers and olives or spicy pepperoncini. A few fistfuls of shredded mozzarella on top, and you’re done!
Just pop it in the oven for as little as 10 minutes (depending on your pizza dough). Once your crust is puffy and golden, and that melty mozzarella is bubbling, your dinner is done!
Slice into a serving of this hearty, delicious and simple deep dish skillet pizza. You’ll love it (and so will kids) for a quick and easy weeknight meal that everyone can help create!
- 1 ball pizza dough, store bought or homemade
- 1/3 cup pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella, divided
- Topping Ideas
- • Cheese: Mozzarella, Mexican cheese, Asiago, Parmesan, Romano, bleu cheese, feta, provolone
- • Meat: Chicken, Italian sausage, bacon, ham, beef, chorizo, pepperoni, prosciutto, shrimp
- • Vegetables: Tomatoes, artichokes, roasted red peppers, onions, green peppers, jalapenos, spinach, cherry tomatoes, olives, mushrooms, banana peppers, squash, sweet corn, peas, avocado
- • Other: Pineapple chunks, black beans, fresh basil, garlic, sprouts, capers
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Generously spray a cast iron skillet (or round baking dish) with nonstick cooking spray, or grease with olive oil.
- Form pizza dough into a round in prepared skillet. Swirl pizza sauce around surface of dough. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella, or any other cheese you prefer. Add your desired toppings. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 10-30 minutes (see note below), or until crust is golden brown and cheese is bubbly. Let rest for 5 minutes before cutting into 6 slices.