Today is a very exciting day for me, since I’ll be presenting this soup mix in a cooking segment on a local news station here in Austin called KXAN. I’m beyond thrilled and very thankful to have this opportunity, and I cannot wait to just get up there and start talking about good food! Which is, of course, my favorite subject.
While I’m chatting up a news anchor about this tasty recipe for homemade bean soup mix, though, I’ll also be making it! The above ingredients are pretty enough layered in a jar, but the deliciousness of the soup they make is even better than its eye appeal. Just combine the jar’s contents with ground beef or chopped chuck roast, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and water for a surprisingly simple and comforting meal!
As a holiday gift to a special friend, neighbor, teacher or family member, this bean soup mix will warm the recipient’s heart and their tummy. Tie a pretty ribbon around the jar and attach a tag with instructions on how to make the soup, and send it off to that lucky lover of warm winter meals. They will have so much fun making it in their own home, and even more fun if you’re close enough to make it with them!
Update: Here’s the video from my cooking segment on Austin’s KXAN news…
Hearty Bean Soup Mix
- 1/4 cup beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup green split peas
- 1/4 cup pearled barley
- 1/4 cup dry lentils
- 1/3 cup red kidney beans
- 1/4 cup dried onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup uncooked small dry pasta
- In a standard Mason jar, layer the bouillon, split peas, pearled barley, lentils, kidney beans, onion flakes, Italian seasoning, rice, bay leaves and pasta. Seal tightly.
- To give as a gift, attach a small card with the following instructions…
To make the soup:
- 1 pound ground beef or chuck roast, cubed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 1/2 quarts water
- 1 batch dry soup mix
- Pat dry the ground beef or chopped chuck roast, then coat with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook until no longer pink, 5-6 minutes. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, water and soup mix. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, or until the pasta, peas, lentils, beans and barley are tender.