One of my favorite memories from when we lived in California was eating dinner outside with my husband on our small balcony overlooking the mountains. With the high temperatures in Austin, where we live now, that hasn’t been possible but we’re still getting plenty of uses out of our grill and dreaming of the day when we can enjoy an al fresco meal and a cool breeze!
This creamy Caesar salad with herb grilled chicken is one of my recent favorite dinners that is so delicious, and I’m happy to share the simple steps with you to achieve this easy yet mouthwatering meal.
All you need is olive oil, dried basil, dried oregano, and salt and pepper to coat the chicken in preparation for grilling or broiling. Lay it on the grill, cook it until it’s tender and nicely charred, and no traces of pink remain in the center. Meanwhile, you can make a simple Caesar salad by just combining some torn, crisp Romaine lettuce, your favorite creamy Caesar salad dressing, freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano, and a dash of salt and pepper.
After removing the chicken from the grill or broiler, let it rest for about 5 minutes on a plate, since chicken and all meats continue cooking for a short time once coming off a grill or broiler. If you slice the meat too soon, the juices will escape the meat, resulting in a less tender piece of chicken, steak or pork. Do it a favor and leave it alone! Your taste buds will thank you.
Once the chicken has rested, just slice it up with a sharp knife, lay it on top of your salad and voila! Dinner is served, and I bet you’ll agree that it’s absolutely delicious with this decadent, creamy Caesar salad. I recommend serving this with garlic bread and a glass of your favorite white wine… A little garlic and a sip of wine always makes dinner all the more enjoyable!
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 cups washed, dried and torn romaine lettuce
- 1/3 cup Caesar Salad dressing
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmigiano Reggiano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare a grill or preheat broiler.
- Rub chicken with oil and season with salt, pepper, basil and oregano. Grill or broil chicken until browned and no trace of pink remains in the center, 7-8 minutes per side.
- Combine lettuce, dressing, Parmigiano Reggiano, and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Toss and divide among 4 plates. Cut chicken into 1/2-inch slices and fan over salad. Top with Parmesan curls. Serve immediately.