When I was a little girl, my mom would save the pie dough that she’d trim from her delicious homemade apple pie, and she’d give it to me to make whatever I wanted. Usually, I’d just eat the stuff raw while she wasn’t looking (and my stomachache later informed me that maybe that wasn’t the best decision), but sometimes I’d think of something creative to do with the dough, like make little cinnamon pinwheels, a family favorite.
Years later, I was still making big, time-consuming pies everytime I craved one, and still trimming the dough, eating it raw (weird, I know), and making cinnamon pinwheels. I didn’t know what else could be done with pie dough. That is, until the super-simple galette came along. A galette is just pie dough filled with any fruit of your choice, which is mixed with a little cornstarch, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. It gives the same taste and satisfaction of a full-sized pie, without all the hard work! Some call ’em crostatas or rustic tarts, but I’m content with the fancy-pants sound of “galette.” It’s fun to say, isn’t it?
This delicious galette is only my second since my Strawberry Galette last May, but boy was it wonderful! Smooth, crisp pie dough gives way to an ooze of the sweet and slightly tart juice and softness of the blueberries and peaches. Topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or Homemade Whipped Cream, this is one dessert that’s easy on time and effort and impressive to guests, and I’m sure you’ll love it, too!
Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack to cool for at least 20 minutes. (Cutting it too quickly will cause the dough to crack). It’s best served at room temperature or slightly warm.
Peach and Blueberry Galette
- 1 store-bought or homemade pie crust
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced peaches, about 2 large
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Center a rack in the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
- To make the fruit filling, combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss gently, making sure that the cornstarch is coating the fruit. (This will prevent too much juice from leaking out while the galette bakes.)
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and place on a sheet of parchment paper. Starting at the center of the dough, roll out, forming a 14-15-inch wide circle. Place the dough with parchment paper on a baking sheet. Add the fruit mixture to the center of the dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Fold the border over the filling, overlapping where necessary and pressing gently to adhere the folds.
- Lightly whisk the egg white and milk in a small bowl. Brush dough with egg wash, and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 1 hour, or until crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack to cool for at least 20 minutes. (Cutting it too quickly will cause the dough to crack). It's best served at room temperature or slightly warm.
- Optional garnishes include vanilla ice cream, a dollop of creme fraiche, or freshly whipped cream.
Great photo! Do you think frozen blueberries and peaches could be used successfully in this dish? Thanks!!
Yes, frozen blueberries and peaches would work fine. Thanks for visiting!
Great! Thank you!
Beautiful picture! This looks heavenly!
Yum I love blueberries and this looks absolutely fantastic!
Oh man this looks delicious! Your pictures are gorgeous! Everything here looks so yummy!
I’ve recently launched my own blog, I’d love for you to check it out and tell me what you think :) Thanks!
This look so yummy! You’ve done a great job on this! I am in the mood for Peach Blueberry now :)
Wow, this looks and sounds AMAZING! Brilliant photo!
This would really hit the spot right now. This looks amazing and nice and light for summer. :) Heck, I’d even have this for breakfast!
That photo is so beautiful! I love the sound of this galette- perfect for the abundance of peaches right now. Those blueberries look as if you could pluck them right off of the computer screen- fabulous!
Luv the blueberries and peaches! This looks like a great excuse to whip a little somethin’ somethin’ up! Nce post and lovely pics!
this looks fantastic. i love galette dough!
This looks fantastic and I can imagine how good it is! Nothing like a galette!
Oh, beautiful- this looks delicious! Thank you for the blog comment :)
That is such a beautiful photo of your blueberry galette. I need to try something like this. It is such an elegant dessert & I love that it is so simple to prepare. I remember eating the raw dough too….and the belly aches :) xo
Galettes are beautiful, and I actually prefer them over pies. They sound so fancy too! I don’t know if I could have found anything prettier this morning than a peach and blueberry fruit tart. I love the addition of ginger…what a fresh, summery dessert.