Living in California, we’re lucky enough to be able to grill pretty much any day of the year, and whenever the mood strikes we can throw a few chicken breasts or steaks on the grill and have a delicious dinner in minutes. Without a doubt, this sandwich is one of our favorite ways to dress up juicy, tender pieces of grilled chicken. The avocado relish is a fresh and tangy addition, too!
Before living on the West Coast, where avocados are always in season, we never thought to use them, but they have since made at least once-weekly debuts in a lot of our dishes at home. Not only is the relish good for meaty sandwiches, but it can also be used in place of mayonnaise or other condiments in vegan or vegetarian sandwiches, or as a topping for white fish dishes. It’s one yummy way to give your grub an extra kick!
Not only would this sandwich be a tasty and quick option for an everyday weeknight meal, but it’s also a unique idea for a casual BBQ with friends! Even though some of you may still be buried under a few feet of snow (I lived in Boston for four years – I can feel for you!), spring and summer are just around the corner and your grill will be begging to be fired up again before you know it!
Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Avocado Relish
For the chicken marinade:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
For the relish:
- 1 avocado pitted and diced
- 1 cucumber diced
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- 1 tsp. freshly chopped cilantro I used dried
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the sandwich:
- 4 white or whole-wheat hamburger buns
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts marinated (see recipe for marinade)
- 4 slices pepperjack or cheddar cheese
- 2 tomatoes sliced
- A few handfuls of spinach
- Combine all ingredients for marinade in a large bowl and whisk. Place chicken breasts into a plastic bag and pound flat. Add chicken to the bowl and marinade for at least 1 hour, or up to 24 hours.
- For relish, toss avocado and cucumber with lime juice, chopped cilantro, and crushed red pepper. Mash together. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Refigerate up to 1 hour before use.
- Preheat grill to full heat. Grill chicken for 2-3 minutes per side in direct heat. Lower heat to medium and grill for 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate, top with pepperjack cheese slices and cover with aluminum foil.
- Slice tomato and arrange tomato and spinach on a plate. Spray the inside of hamburger buns with cooking spray and toast for 3 minutes, or until lightly brown.
- Serve chicken on buns. Top with tomato, spinach, and relish.