The classic cookie gets an elegant makeover! These chocolate-covered Oreos topped with crushed candy canes are so decadently delicious, easy to make, and perfect for parties or gifts.
If there’s one holiday tradition I can fully support, that is the comeback of Oreo cookies. They just seem to be everywhere this time of year! In truffles and cakes, and crusts and bars, that chocolaty-vanilla goodness is hard to escape. But I’m not running.
So, what better way to jazz up something already great, than by adding more chocolate? One of my favorite holiday-themed treats to make this time of year is chocolate-covered Oreos with a crushed peppermint candy cane topping. Simple, scrumptious and elegant enough for party platters. They would also make a pretty sweet homemade gift!
All you need for this recipe is five ingredients. Simply melt chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl or double boiler. Add a bit of vegetable oil to thin the mixture (this makes for easier dipping), and peppermint extract for delicious minty flavor. Dip your Oreos in one at a time, then place them on a baking sheet and sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Kids will have great fun with this one!
Package them pretty in cellophane bags tied with ribbon, or pile them high on a platter, bring to a holiday party, and watch them magically disappear. Whatever you do with them, I guarantee they won’t last long!
Chocolate Covered Peppermint Oreos
- 1 14.3 oz. package Oreo cookies (regular or double-stuffed)
- 4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 10-12 candy canes, crushed
- Line a large baking sheet with wax paper or parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium heatproof bowl, microwave chocolate chips until melted, about 1-1/2 minutes on high. Stir until smooth. Stir in peppermint extract. Stir in vegetable oil to thin chocolate (this makes for easier dipping).
- Dip one cookie at a time into the chocolate, coating completely. Lift out cookie with a fork and shake gently side-to-side to remove excess chocolate. Lay cookie on prepared baking sheet and immediately sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Repeat.
- Place tray in your refrigerator to harden chocolate. Store in an airtight container.