Crispy, chewy homemade granola bars are so easy to make, healthier than store-bought, and perfect for snacks on the go! All you need is a handful of pantry staples, but feel free to get creative with mix-ins like nuts, dried fruits and seeds.
When dreaming up an easy granola bar, I was hard pressed to find recipe inspiration that didn’t contain a hodge podge of hard-to-find ingredients. Sorry to say, wheat germ, date paste and hemp seeds aren’t regulars in my cabinets. So, why not take a cue from the classic American pantry, instead? I wanted something that could inspire you to simply pull grab ingredients that you already have, so you could mix up granola bars quickly (and deliciously).
Who doesn’t have oats, sugar, butter and a bit of brown sugar, after all? These golden brown granola bars are so easy to make, super wholesome, and a scrumptious solution to “snacky” moments. At work, at school, at your desk, and for an after-dinner treat. You can pretty much always find one in my purse, since I’m grabbing them all the time!
… Especially since, like my little one, I’m guilty of hangry-ness.
Want the secret to being snack-happy? Just combine a bit of butter, brown sugar and honey in a small pot. You’re making a little caramel that helps the granola bars stick together and slice into that perfect bar shape! Don’t fret, though, it’s so easy. When it’s nice and bubbly, stir in your vanilla. It gives such a deep, rich flavor and makes your kitchen smell uh-mazing.
Pour that into your oats and crispy rice cereal mixture, and stir, stir, stir! Add your chocolate chips. Every kid’s favorite part, naturally. Press the mixture firmly (using those strong stirring muscles) onto a baking sheet, and voila! You’re done. Just chill them in your fridge for at least 1 hour, then slice away into scrumptious granola bars for snacking bliss.
They’re full of sweet, crispy homemade goodness that you’re gonna love!
No-Bake Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
- 2 cups quick cooking oats not rolled oats
- 1 cup crispy rice cereal
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, stir oats and rice cereal together. Set aside.
- In a small pot set to medium heat, melt butter, honey and brown sugar together until bubbly. Reduce heat to low and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in vanilla. Pour over dry ingredients and mix well to moisten all ingredients. Pour mixture onto a lightly greased baking sheet (about 12 x 8 inches). Press mixture to 3/4-inch thickness. (If your pan isn't small enough, pack mixture into one side. You really want to press them down so they stick together. A greased rubber spatula helps with this!)
- Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips and press down lightly. Refrigerate pan at least 1 hour, or until set, before cutting into bars. Wrap bars in parchment or plastic wrap and store at room temperature, or in your refrigerator, for up to 1 week.