Maternity Leave Plans + Nursery Tour

Any day now, I’ll be holding our baby girl.

There are no words to describe how happy/nervous/eager I’m feeling about it, but I’m preparing in every way as best I can. That includes sharing with you my plans for taking some time off. As much as I love what I do, I will need to step away soon and focus on my new family. For how long has been what I’ve struggled with deciding. But, I think I’ve come up with a pretty good plan.

Next Wednesday, May 21, will be my last post before maternity leave. After baby is born, I’ll be back with an announcement. You can then expect 1-2 recipe posts per week, probably until late June, when I’ll get back to more regular posting. I’ll be popping in and out on social media, so feel free to follow me on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for updates outside the blog. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your patience and understanding. Thank you for being such wonderful readers!

In the meantime, how about some fun stuff? Since it’s a room I pace, prep and lounge around in quite often (omg, that comfy CHAIR), I wanted to share our nursery with you.

Come on in!

This room used to be our shared office – a big tangle of wires, cables and buzzing electronics. A little shuffling around, and the space has been swapped out for a calming, cozy oasis for baby.

Our crib and bedding have been sitting pretty since late winter. A bit anxious, maybe?

I still stare at it all the time.

Our faithful pup has already started practicing his guard dog duties. What a good boy!

I purchased the frames from Michaels (such a steal) and measured matching fabric for the inside. Glued white-painted letters on top of that, and voila! A lil’ art for little lady’s walls.

As you can see, there’s no real theme going on here – I just wanted it to feel like a cozy, clean space for our sweet girl.

A soft lamb awaiting snuggles and a big basket of swaddle blankets ready for tucking up baby tight? Those are my idea of “decorations.” No need for lots of fuss.

… Except when it comes to the clothes. The clothes. Sigh.

Her dresser is stuffed to the brim with pretty pink onesies, dresses, bows and headbands. It’s a bit out of control. But really, can you blame us with the baby girl stuff? It’s irresistible. Fortunately, though, I’ve accumulated most of it from friends’ generous hand-me-downs and gifts.

God help this girl if she wants to be a tomboy. I’ve got enough tiny bow shoes, frilly hats and flowery headbands to see her into teen-hood.

Or maybe that’s just wishful thinking.

Let’s take a step back, shall we? Right ahead of the door leading in you’ll find the closet. To the side, a toy chest and a couple of frames that I added mirrors to. It doesn’t have much yet, but I’ve organized the things we need in bins and baskets – blankets, hats, headbands, shoes, mittens, burp cloths have their place. Whether they’ll remained organized is up for debate.

And, of course, a couple of cutesy dresses and hand-knit sweaters to swoon over. I think I’ll keep them hung in there forever. She’ll learn to love it.

Remember how I said this used to be our office? Here’s half the desk. We built it into a changing table, added a fresh coat of paint and a couple shelves inside. I love all the storage!

The changing pad and cover are super soft and comfy. Hubby built the wooden tray it rests on top of.

The wall shelves are topped with classic baby book favorites (lots of Seuss), all found at thrift stores for under $1 each. Gotta love a good deal!

Some things are worth every stinkin’ penny, though. That’s this glider and ottoman. I wanted something that could still be functional (and cute) after we didn’t need it for babies. I’d say it fits the bill! You melt right in, prop up your feet and suddenly it’s a chore to get up. Might make nighttime feedings not so hard, after all!

Thanks for coming along for the tour, you guys! Also, if you haven’t already noticed, there’s a new Baby section of the site where I’ll be adding all pregnancy- and baby-related posts.

See you on Monday with a delicious new recipe!

42 Responses to “Maternity Leave Plans + Nursery Tour”

Jules @ WolfItDown — May 16, 2014 @ 2:44 am

Georgia, this is marvellous!

The way you write about the preparations, all the hard work you and your man have put into it, you make it sound so therapeutic, and you can tell how much love and thought you have put into it all. Well done!

Your dog is wonderful, and I love how it seems so natural to him to lie right next to the baby crib, he’ll make sure she’s safer than anyone!

The desk you made into a changing table is soooo clever, well done, seriously :D The room looks so peaceful, and I like that it’s also a room for the adults who are there to tend to your baby girl, and the lovely little clothes – sigh! Thank you so much for the tour, I wish you all the best, and send some love your way :) Hugs from Glasgow x

Emily @ Life on Food — May 16, 2014 @ 5:12 am

This room came out great. I love the over all feel and serene color scheme. Best news is that I can total imagine this being a nice space as she grows too since it is not overly baby.

Janet — May 16, 2014 @ 5:33 am

Beautiful room Georgia. I feel a sense of calm just through the pictures. I am a dog lover and that picture of your dog by the crib is priceless. Thanks for sharing the baby’s room with your readers! Happy Friday!

Marie @ Little Kitchie — May 16, 2014 @ 5:54 am

The nursery is absolutely gorgeous, Georgia!!! I love the calming feeling of the whole room. I am SO excited for you to finally get to squeeze that baby girl!!! xoxo

Sandra Garth — May 16, 2014 @ 6:12 am

So happy for you!

What a beautiful, cozy, comfy nursery! My husband and I are expecting our first in early November, and I am looking everywhere for nursery inspiration. I love how both bright and peaceful this space is.
    Congratulations!! :)

Paula — May 16, 2014 @ 6:44 am

Your nursery is beautiful, very calm, comfortable and welcoming. Best wishes to you and your husband. Enjoy all the time with your new little girl!

P.S. The re-do of the desk into a changing table was a brilliant idea!

Ashley — May 16, 2014 @ 7:25 am

Aw, your nursery is so so pretty!! I love all the soft colors! So excited for you Georgia : )

Bam's Kitchen — May 16, 2014 @ 7:48 am

Wishing you and your little bundle of love a quick and easy labour and many hours of reading cat in the hat and wearing pretty pink little frills. Enjoy your time with your little one as they get so big, so fast. Take Care, BAM

Jen — May 16, 2014 @ 8:13 am

That is so adorable! I love the really soft color palette. But the sweet little clothes and booties slay me!

Monica — May 16, 2014 @ 8:44 am

What a dreamy nursery – just beautiful! I wish you and your family all the best!!

Amy @ Fearless Homemaker — May 16, 2014 @ 9:01 am

This time last year, I was in exactly the same position you were – what a fun, exciting time it is! Enjoy those precious, snuggly first weeks with your baby – they are such a wonderful time! And enjoy the final few weeks as a family of two (plus a dog!) – those are very special, too. Can’t wait to see your announcement when little lady arrives!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — May 16, 2014 @ 9:34 am

*squuuueal*!!! The cuteness-I die!!!! The nursery is stunning and I love all the cuteness you have ready for your sweet baby girl!

Helen — May 16, 2014 @ 9:59 am

Hi Georgia! I have so enjoyed your pregnancy through you and of course your mom in law, Linda! She leaves no stone unturned-as you know. The room is beautiful and inviting and speaks love!! Can’t wait till she arrives!! xoxoxox

eat good 4 life — May 16, 2014 @ 10:04 am

Georgia her room looks awesome. I love the fact that you used a neutral color instead of making everything pink :-) Nothing wrong with pick though. Enjoy your little bundle of joy when she arrives and rest plenty while you can. You are going to need it :-)

Barbara | Creative Culinary — May 16, 2014 @ 10:21 am

What a lovely room; what a lucky baby girl! I love the soft, uncluttered look and feel of it; great job Georgia.

One thing that did make me chuckle from my own experience? My girls starting babysitting for a family close to us 17 years ago when their first girl was just a couple of months old. The family was very well off and her closets were filled to the brim with gorgeous clothes with names like Dior.

That probably worked for everyone for awhile but once Callie was 2 and wanted to dress herself; the ONLY thing she wanted to wear, every single day, was a Scooby Doo t-shirt and jeans. I’m thankful her mom didn’t force the issue and a tomboy was born. She went on to play soccer, swim with the best of them and in middle school she played hockey on a boys team. Now before your dreams are dashed…there is a positive end to this story! That girl is now in high school heading into her senior year; she now likes things a bit more girly but that tomboy stuff? It started her on a career of achieving in sports with the boys and just a few weeks ago she was just awarded a full golf scholarship to Stanford University. All that ran through my mind in seconds when I read your story…so if there is a Scooby Doo t-shirt in your future, it’s all good!

Very excited for you…you are embarking on the most amazing thing ever; take good care.

sarah k @ the pajama chef — May 16, 2014 @ 11:43 am

what a precious nursery! so excited for you georgia!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — May 16, 2014 @ 12:45 pm

Oh, sweet friend! I am so excited for you! I can’t wait to see the announcement! You’ve created such a beautiful and serene space for your little girl. Love it! Have a wonderful weekend! xoxo

Samantha — May 16, 2014 @ 12:45 pm

It looks like a spa for both baby and mama! Enjoy!

Angel Reyes — May 16, 2014 @ 1:04 pm

The room is so adorable. You did a great job setting it up.

Kathi @ Deliciously Yum! — May 16, 2014 @ 3:42 pm

You’ve created such a beautiful nest for your little one! Love the colors and the adorable decorations. I am so excited and happy for you, Georgia. Looking forward to hearing the big news :)

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — May 16, 2014 @ 5:04 pm

I love this room! So cozy and peaceful. I can’t wait to see your sweet baby girl in it soon! :)

Gaby — May 16, 2014 @ 9:40 pm

Totally adorable!

Tieghan Gerard — May 16, 2014 @ 10:46 pm

So, so, so cute!! Can’t wait to see the little girl!

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef — May 17, 2014 @ 2:25 am

I’ve been waiting for this. It’s just beautiful and any magazine would be proud to showcase this room for baby.

You take it easy. Don’t stress yourself by saying you must get posts done when you’ve been walking the floors with a cranky baby for days. Your first duty of care is to yourself and then the baby. We’ll be down the list and can wait.

Best of luck!

Eileen — May 17, 2014 @ 8:11 am

What a cozy little room Georgia. Don’t sweat the blog stuff. Enjoy your family first. Everyone will still be here when you get back :) So excited for you!

marcie — May 17, 2014 @ 10:17 am

Georgia, your little girl’s nursery is so beautiful! I’m so happy and excited for you, and wish you all the best for your delivery…I hope it’s quick! :) Can’t wait to see the announcement on your new baby.

Valerie | From Valerie's Kitchen — May 17, 2014 @ 10:37 am

That room is so warm and tranquil it practically glows! You did a beautiful job on every little detail, Georgia. One to two posts per week is taking time off? I think not! I’ll be watching for updates :)

Monet — May 17, 2014 @ 10:52 pm

Take as much time as you need (you’ll be surprised at how long it takes to get back into the groove). Just know that there couldn’t be better time spent :-) We can’t wait to hear the good news, Georgia! And the nursery is gorgeous.

Carol at Wild Goose Tea — May 17, 2014 @ 11:15 pm

Darling room for I am sure a darling baby. I am with Monet, take as much time as you need. We will all be here. Very sweet time of your life is almost upon you.

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — May 18, 2014 @ 12:35 am

Georgia, I love your nursery! It’s so pretty! I love simple too! Best of luck!

Lucy — May 18, 2014 @ 8:40 am

I love the neutral color in the nursery – it looks like a great room. Best of luck in the next few days.

kelly — May 18, 2014 @ 6:05 pm

Your daughters room is charming! She’s a lucky girl.. God bless….

Jeanette | Jeanette's Healthy Living — May 19, 2014 @ 8:43 pm

Such a pretty room for your baby girl Georgia! I cannot wait to see your newborn pics! Here’s to a smooth and easy delivery and fast recovery for mom!

Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor — May 19, 2014 @ 8:50 pm

Absolutely gorgeous nursery! Ah, I’m dying over those beautiful little dresses, so precious! Can’t wait to hear when your little one arrives.

Pam — May 20, 2014 @ 11:26 am

The nursery is beautiful!!! I remember going and sitting in our nursery before my first daughter was born too. I am so excited for you & your journey of motherhood. It’s the best. Good luck with the birth of your sweet little lady – looking forward to seeing her pictures.

Annie @Maebells — May 20, 2014 @ 11:38 am

So lovely! I love the clean lines and neutral colors. Great idea to convert the desk, it is probably a better height and so much more storage than a regular changing table!

Julie @ Table for Two — May 20, 2014 @ 7:54 pm

The room is GORGEOUS! I love the color palette. It’s so warm and I like that you kept it gender neutral even though you knew the gender. I would love to cozy up in there, hehe – what a great room, Georgia. You did an amazing job decorating it! Can you come do mine when it’s time? :)

Renee @ Two in the Kitchen — May 21, 2014 @ 10:02 am

This room is GORGEOUS!!! Will you come decorate my house!! I’ll take the dog too!! ;)

Jamie@Milk N Cookies — May 23, 2014 @ 5:42 am

Georgia, I love how warm, cozy, and welcoming this nursery is. The perfect place for your little lady to spend her first few years. And reusing some of your office furniture was an ingenious idea! I hope all goes well in these final days before her arrival. BTW, hose little floral dresses are absolutely adorable!

Kelly — May 23, 2014 @ 10:17 pm

I love this nursery, it’s absolutely beautiful Georgia! I love the adorable dresses and the neutral colors are so wonderfully calming and cozy :) So so excited for you!

Jennie @themessybakerblog — May 26, 2014 @ 8:30 am

The room is stunning! I love the soft, warm colors you chose. What a great way to repurpose a desk. The baby will love her room.