3-Ingredient Cheater’s Chocolate Croissants

3IngredientCheatersChocolateCroissants-2.jpg

Enter the lazy girls’ guide to croissants! Though the real thing may be beautiful, and I have huge admiration for anyone willing to take the time, croissants are also just that – time consuming.

When it comes to pastries, I have none to waste! (And it would only be a waste because I would undoubtedly fail at them. Like, seriously fail.)

These cute and delicious cheater’s “croissants” take 10 minutes to come together and are easy peasy. They’re a great activity for your little aspiring bakers, too!

3IngredientCheatersChocolateCroissants (3)

And you read right – all they need are three ingredients: Puff pastry, a chocolate bar, and an egg. But a bit of powdered sugar for sprinkling doesn’t hurt either…

Just roll out your puff pastry sheet and slice it into 9 squares. Place a small chunk of your chocolate bar at one end of each square, and fold the pastry over once. Brush the remaining dough with a little egg wash, fold it over again, and pop it on your baking sheet.

The pastries need to firm up in the fridge for about 10 minutes, because pastry gets puffiest when it’s cold, cold, cold. Preheat the oven and distract yourself by cleaning up a bit!

I used dark chocolate this time, but with all the chocolate bar flavors out there, feel free to get creative! I know Lindt carries chili, orange, caramel, and passion fruit chocolate bars at most grocery stores.

Oh, the possibilities!

3IngredientCheatersChocolateCroissants-5.jpg

Make these for Mother’s Day, or any special weekend breakfast or brunch! They’re easy, absolutely scrumptious, and can be made up to 12 hours ahead of time.

Totally guaranteed to impress whoever’s lucky enough to enjoy them with you!

PrintPrint Recipe

3-Ingredient Cheater’s Chocolate Croissants

Yield: Makes 9

1 sheet puff pastry (about 1/2 lb.)

1 4 oz. chocolate bar (any kind – I used semisweet/dark)

1 egg + 1 Tablespoon water

Powdered sugar, for dusting

Prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Set aside.

On a lightly floured surface, place puff pastry and roll out slightly with a floured rolling pin. Cut into 9 (5-inch) squares.

Cut or break up chocolate bar into 9 (1 inch x 1/2 inch) pieces.

Whisk egg and water in a small bowl, until well combined. Set aside.

Place 1 chocolate piece at the bottom of each pastry rectangle. Fold pastry over the chocolate. Lightly brush egg wash on the remaining dough and fold over again to seal. Place seam side down on your lined baking sheet.

Lightly brush each pastry with egg wash. Refrigerate tray for at least 10 minutes (up to 12 hours) to firm up.

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown and puffed. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then dust with powdered sugar.

Adapted from Kin Community

3IngredientCheatersChocolateCroissants-6.jpg

65 Responses to “3-Ingredient Cheater’s Chocolate Croissants”

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — May 1, 2013 @ 12:14 am

There’s nothing quite like a fresh croissant! Your cheater’s version looks so tempting, love the chocolate filling!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — May 1, 2013 @ 1:26 am

I love these! I hope to someday make my own croissants, but they are so time consuming and intimidating! These would certainly satisfy my craving!

Elisa @ Insalata di Sillabe — May 1, 2013 @ 3:36 am

Never seen anything so easy and quick to put together yet sooo delicious! The flavor possibilities are endless and I can’t wait to try them all out!

xo, Elisa

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — May 1, 2013 @ 3:56 am

Lazy girl guide to croissants = best croissants ever!

Marie @ Little Kitchie — May 1, 2013 @ 6:20 am

YUM! I love that these only take 10 minutes… although that could be prettyyyy dangerous…

Jennie @themessybakerblog — May 1, 2013 @ 7:03 am

These could be seriously dangerous. Yup, I’d make and eat every single one. Look at that melty chocolate–yum!

Eileen — May 1, 2013 @ 8:19 am

I just love this simple, yet delicious idea! I’m adding these to my “must make” list. And the sooner the better :)

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — May 1, 2013 @ 9:46 am

I wish I could give you a hug because this is AMAZING. Making immediately!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — May 1, 2013 @ 11:16 am

ohmygawwwwd yes.
    yesyes.

I love chocolate croissants and these look so simple!

Megan {Country Cleaver} — May 1, 2013 @ 11:55 am

Georgia, these are divine! I’m all for cheater croissants – I keep tellingmyself to make the time for the real deal – but let’s get real, that ain’t gonna happen. Gimme a plate full of these and I’ll be happy. Blissfully happy.

Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama — May 1, 2013 @ 11:57 am

Oh my goodness do these look fantastic!

Audra | The Baker Chick — May 1, 2013 @ 12:04 pm

What a clever idea! Pan au Chocolat is my favorite so I’m sure I’d adore these!

amy @ fearless homemaker — May 1, 2013 @ 12:52 pm

Love these! I’m craving a chocolate croissant in a big way right now, but I’m stuck in the house because we have workers/contractors here. Conveniently, I DO have all the ingredients for these in the house. Might have to make a batch this afternoon! =)

Caroline — May 1, 2013 @ 12:56 pm

Well, these are pretty dang amazing!! I can’t stop staring at close up shot of the chocolate dripping out. Lovely!

Erin | The Law Student's Wife — May 1, 2013 @ 1:09 pm

I have only ever attempted chocolate croissants one time. Took the whole day and was not even CLOSE to how pretty these turned out. I’ll either buy from the professionals or whip these babies up from here on out!

Julia — May 1, 2013 @ 1:55 pm

I don’t stand a chance against these croissants, especially with the gooey dark chocolate dripping out of them. They look amazing and I love that you simplified the recipe! :)

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — May 1, 2013 @ 2:13 pm

I love these! Super easy, fun, and so good!

Honey What's Cooking — May 1, 2013 @ 2:15 pm

this looks so delicious.. like the real thing. very cool idea.. i can’t make croissants for the life of me, this seems a lot easier. thanks!!!

Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie — May 1, 2013 @ 2:52 pm

I’m a total cheater – I have to try these beautiful croissants!! :)

Karen — May 1, 2013 @ 3:28 pm

A great idea! I can eat one and feel like a French schoolgirl. I used to love bars of Belgian chocolate folded inside crusty, salty Italian bread.

Karly — May 1, 2013 @ 5:02 pm

Have you tried the ones from Arby’s? (I know…drive through pastry is so classy!) They are divine! After I had my first one I came home and made these too. Haha! Love how you rolled them up, though. So pretty!

Ali | Gimme Some Oven — May 1, 2013 @ 5:13 pm

Brilliant! These totally remind me of pan chocolat when I was in France. I can’t wait to try these!

(And that last photo with the melted chocolate is AMAZING!) :)

Monica — May 1, 2013 @ 6:12 pm

I wish I’d thought to just roll them up the way you did! I’ve made these once following Nigella on her TV show. You roll them into small triangles and try to mimic the croissant shape…I didn’t get my triangle sizes quite right and many of them just looked a mess, like a crab with chocolate oozing out. This is far simplier and looks very neat. I also really admire people who make actual croissants. i don’t have the intensity or skill for it!

shelly (cookies and cups) — May 1, 2013 @ 6:56 pm

Oh my holy heck. I can’t even speak right now.

Tracy | Peanut Butter and Onion — May 1, 2013 @ 7:24 pm

Cheater Shmeater, you need a quick treat sometimes, and these are fabulous.

The Café Sucre Farine — May 1, 2013 @ 8:13 pm

These pictures have me wanting these right now even though I’ve had dinner AND desert! Amazing, just amazing! Love the simple recipe!

Liz — May 1, 2013 @ 8:15 pm

I’ve made homemade croissants twice…enough for a lifetime! Your cheater version looks incredible!!!

PS. Thanks for your kind words of sympathy. xo

Jaclyn — May 1, 2013 @ 9:00 pm

Genius! And I love that close up pic! If only I were the one shoving it into my face :).

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — May 1, 2013 @ 9:30 pm

I’m all about the cheater’s croissant. Gets you to the same goal…eating it quicker!

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef — May 1, 2013 @ 9:36 pm

That last photo has me salivating!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — May 1, 2013 @ 9:46 pm

A lazy croissant recipe. WITH chocolate. I knew I liked you for a reason Georgia. ;)

ATasteOfMadness — May 2, 2013 @ 12:38 am

I made croissants ONCE. It was so good, but it takes so long! This is the perfect solution!!

Monet — May 2, 2013 @ 8:29 am

Now these are the kinds of croissants that can be made on a mama’s schedule! Thank you for sharing Georgia. I will be trying this…and soon!

Pam — May 2, 2013 @ 9:54 am

YUM! My whole family would love these.

Kathy — May 2, 2013 @ 9:59 am

How fun! I’m sure my kids would love these! And they would love to help make them too!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — May 2, 2013 @ 10:00 am

OMG! I can’t resist the tempting gooey shots!! Yummy photography :)

Angie@Angie's Recipes — May 2, 2013 @ 11:57 am

Fantastic clicks, Georgia. I love particularly the last one….simply irresistible!

Lauren @ Rustic Honey — May 2, 2013 @ 1:29 pm

You might have just caught me with my tongue out… trying to catch the melty chocolate about to fall from the last picture. YUM! Everyone needs a good cheat for sure! I will be trying these… pronto! :)

Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry — May 2, 2013 @ 3:08 pm

This recipe just seriously made my day! Pinning

Patty — May 2, 2013 @ 3:26 pm

You’re killing me with your lazy girl’s guide to making chocolate croissants!!!!
    They look amazingly delicate, chocolate-y and delicious ;-)

Nami | Just One Cookbook — May 2, 2013 @ 5:31 pm

Great delicious shots of chocolate croissants! I love short cut version and I will make this tomorrow!!!

Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen — May 2, 2013 @ 6:06 pm

I love these kinds of recipes. It looks so simple but I know how amazing they would be. Pinning!

Anne@FromMySweetHeart — May 2, 2013 @ 6:43 pm

WOW Georgia! Croissants? I say give me warm flaky pastry filled with gooey melted chocolate! How easy and delicious! And your photos are amazing! : )

Reeni — May 2, 2013 @ 7:53 pm

These are bites of pure heaven Georgia! Your pictures make me swoon.

Sister Spice — May 3, 2013 @ 7:20 pm

These were my favorite things to eat when I went to Paris a few years ago…yum!!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — May 4, 2013 @ 3:37 am

Oh boy that last photo just makes you want to take a bite of your screen!

Wendy — May 4, 2013 @ 6:36 pm

What a great short cut! These look delicious! My son LOVES chocolate croissants but I never ever considered making them myself until I saw this.

Daniela @ FoodrecipesHQ — May 5, 2013 @ 6:19 am

Oh my gosh… I’m drooling over this! What a great pictures!

Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner — May 6, 2013 @ 9:59 am

Sometimes we all need a cheater’s dessert recipe so I approve. :) I love how I can make these ahead of time so they are perfect for when I’m hosting a dinner. And not to mention that this dessert involves 3 of my most favorite ingredients so I’m definitely pinning and making!

Mandy - The Complete Cook Book — May 23, 2013 @ 7:39 am

What a fantastic idea!
    :-) Mandy xo

Rachel — July 8, 2013 @ 4:44 pm

I am planning on making these tonight. i got milk chocolate for myself and dark chocolate for my boyfriend. I also got Reece’s Peanut Butter Cups and Rolos to try also. I’m very excited for these :)

• Georgia — July 9th, 2013 @ 10:58 am

Awesome, Rachel! How did they turn out?

phung — July 28, 2013 @ 2:19 am

Yolanda Taylor — August 9, 2013 @ 11:45 am

Drooling over these croissants! For a minute I thought you knew me personally when you said “distract yourself by cleaning up a bit”. haha.. I have to tell myself that when I get too impatient and keep peeping into the oven to see if it is done yet while my kitchen looks like a war zone :D These look decadent – I am planning on making some for a party on Sunday. Will let you know how they turn out. Thanks for sharing!

Konnie — September 9, 2013 @ 7:00 pm

I make these for my b&b guests. I lay out the puff pastry and cut into triangles, and roll up and bake with the point up. you can also use choc chips, and get adventurous with peanut butter, apple butter, lemon curd. any filling you can imagine. everyone oohs and aahs and because they are smaller, no one feels quilty taking more than one!

Rebecca from the Fieldhouse Kitchen — September 12, 2013 @ 11:16 am

I make these, too! I always end up having puff pastry in the freezer (random, I know) and I love chopping up a Ghiradellhi dark chocolate square and rolling it up in a piece of dough then baking til golden. Absolutely delicious.

Also, if you ever want to make out-of-this-world pigs in a blanket, i recommend slicing a hot dog into thirds and rolling each piece in pastry dough. Magic!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — September 12, 2013 @ 12:08 pm

Just saw Roxanna feature these. Whoa, the look so good. Love a good cheater’s recipe. Pinned!

Diane — September 12, 2013 @ 1:58 pm

I love chocolate croissants to a degree that boarders on obsession. Can find decent ones but not great ones in my town. My sister has decided to take the challenge of making them for me. In the meantime, I love this trick for getting something close. I do this with Nutella. It’s so easy and so good. I never thought about chocolate bars. Thanks so much.

Michelle — September 13, 2013 @ 12:01 am

Love this idea! Great party food!

Emily @ Life on Food — September 13, 2013 @ 7:17 am

I think these rolls could be my soulmate!

Kerry — September 21, 2013 @ 7:09 am

I’ve got a batch in the oven right now, cant wait! I’ll soon be spending a weekend with about 20 family members and was wondering if I could assemble these the night before? That way I can just throw them in the oven in the morning before the masses wake up.

• Georgia — September 23rd, 2013 @ 9:06 am

Yes, you can assemble them and then refrigerate, but don’t bake too far ahead of time to avoid soggy and deflated croissants.

AS — September 24, 2013 @ 3:40 pm

Just had these at a get together with a couple of friends. They were delicious. I didn’t think I was going to like them because I tasted one right out of the oven, and i’m not a fan of warm puff pastry. But after they completely cooled, OMG. Outside was flaky and the inside was chewy and the chocolate was nice and gooey. Everyone is asleep, there are two left sitting on my counter, but if I eat them my husband will kill me. He wants to eat them in the morning. And they were super easy to make too!

Kya — December 20, 2013 @ 5:03 pm

Thank you so much! These are adorable, easy and delicious! I used milk chocolate chips! :)

Eileen — October 5, 2014 @ 2:57 pm

I am making these for the third time right now. They are so delicious! My husband was so happy to see me making them again. I just used a Hershey bar, and it takes two plus one extra square from a third bar. Definitely a family favorite – thank you!