Happy Monday, everyone. Today, my handsome hubby (who is good at everything but cooking) is taking over the blog! We wanted to twist things up this April Fool’s Day and let him run the show for a change. He worked real hard on these nachos… and I didn’t work hard at all at eating most of them. They were that good! So, give him a warm welcome, will ya?
Well, hey! Mark here – Georgia’s husband and lucky taste tester of all the delicious food you see here on the blog. I’m taking over The Comfort of Cooking today, it being April 1st and all. That means I can fool you into thinking I’m the cook of the house, right?
Today we are making nachos. My nacho recipe is a bit more simple than this one – just chips and cheese. However, Georgia insisted we change things up. And you know what the lady says goes…
I present to y’all Pizza Nachos – a delicious combination of two of the things all mankind (emphasis on “man”) can agree on, pizza and nachos. That is, except our lactose intolerant friends… to which I ask, ‘why are you so intolerant?’ Cheese never hurt anyone…
Not going to lie, Georgia did help a great deal with this recipe – cooking isn’t my strong suit. A typical weekend finds me fixing stuff around the house and her fixing up a pasta sauce. Fine by me!
Enjoy these while watching the final games of March Madness, or when you wake up hungover on a Sunday and just want to watch TV and stuff your face with nacho awesomeness. Perfect for all occasions.
I promise Georgia will return soon with something delicious, and you can bet it passed by me for an official taste test. What a job.
Happy April Fool’s Day!
For the garlic cream sauce (Makes 1/2 cup):
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 pinch each: salt pepper and red pepper flakes
- ¼ cups grated Parmesan cheese
For the nachos:
- Your favorite crispy tortilla chips I used Mission Tortilla Rounds
- 1/2 cup garlic cream sauce recipe above
- 1/4 cup red onion small diced
- 1/2 cup pepperoni cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1/2 whole green bell pepper diced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded colby-jack cheese or any Mexican cheese blend
- Start by making the garlic cream sauce. In a medium pan, melt butter and olive oil on medium heat. Once melted, add garlic and stir. Add cream and milk, whisking until it comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low to simmer sauce. Add salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and Parmesan cheese, continuing to whisk frequently. Once the sauce has thickened, remove from heat and set aside.
- When you are ready to make your nachos*, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. First add a layer of chips. Drizzle a bit of garlic cream sauce over the chips. Top with onions, pepperoni, olives, and bell pepper. Sprinkle on some cheese. Repeat layering, with chips, cream sauce, toppings, and cheese until you reach the top of the dish. Top with remaining cheese.
- Place in preheated oven, baking until the cheese is melted and nachos are warm throughout – 7 minutes or so.