Spice Up Your Holidays • Holiday Tips & Tricks
Are the jingle bells ring-a-linging in your ears a little too loudly lately? Are you dreaming of a warm beach and an icy margarita, far away from to-do lists, menu planning and perfect Martha Stewart-esque decorating? Well, sit back and relax if you’ve got a moment to spare. I’ve got some tips to keep your holiday hosting easy and stress-free!
• Take it easy on yourself. There’s no such thing as perfect food, drinks or decor, so take the pressure off. And, have you ever walked into a party expecting anything? Didn’t think so.
• Organize in advance. Take stock of what you’ve got (serveware, food, drinks), buy what you need, and cook what you can in advance. Look at your home as if you were a guest – where would you want to grab a plate, make a cocktail, sit and chat?
• Get help. No, this is not a prescription for the therapist’s sofa… Just round up a few more helping hands. Ask a friend to get the door while you serve drinks. Get your uncle passing around some appetizers. Or, make it really easy and host a potluck – it’s up to you!
• Set the mood. Soft candles, jazzy music, cozy places to lounge, and space to mingle are instant mood-makers. No need to be showy or over-the-top. Just make your guests feel comfortable and welcome.
• Enjoy your own party. Make yourself a plate of nibbles, pour a glass of wine, and enjoy yourself for goodness sakes! Just be your lovely laidback self and your guests will have a blast.
Also, I have a big announcement to share!
Along with ten other talented bloggers, I was chosen by Captain Morgan to enter their “Spice Up The Holidays” contest celebrating the season. For the contest, I am creating three new drink, appetizer and dessert recipes using their spiced rum, and rounding up some friends to enjoy the festive treats with me! I’ll reveal the delicious menu next week, but here’s a sneak peek of each… any guesses?
One winning blogger will receive goodies from Captain Morgan and Food Network, along with a generous $1000 donation to the charity of their choice (here’s mine). Top Chef star Spike Mendelsohn will be judging.
It was a treat to speak with him personally last week!
So, now that you’ve got my best tips, it’s time to hear yours!
In the comments section, or on my Facebook page, please feel free to share with me your best tips for easy entertaining, gotta-have holiday recipes, and anything else that keeps your holidays fun, festive and fuss-free!