Frozen Chocolate Banana Pops

Frozen Chocolate Banana Pops

I love sharing dinners and desserts with you, but I also like sharing silly, fun recipes like Bird’s Nest Cupcakes, Bacon, Egg and Toast Cups, and these frozen banana pops! I know if these were spread out at a summer party, they would be the first thing I grab! Er, especially since I’m problematic with sprinkles.

What? They make everything taste like a rainbow.

Chocolate and Bananas

Swirled in melted dark chocolate that hardens in the fridge, these little frozen banana bites are quick, easy and ready to be ravaged with all kinds of toppings! For mine, I chose coconut flakes, chopped nuts and sprinkles, but coat yours with whatever you like! Try ‘em with your favorite crunchy cereal, mini chocolate chips or candy coated sunflower seeds. You can even use yogurt as the base instead of chocolate!

Chocolate Banana Pops

All you need to do is grab a handful of bananas or other dense fruit, chop them up bite-sized and freeze them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Once they’re firm, send your chocolate for a spin in the microwave and stir until it’s silky smooth. If your chocolate isn’t getting the right consistency, add in a little butter or shortening.

Bananas and Sprinkles

Bathe your banana bites in the warm chocolate, shake off the excess, and coat those little cuties ‘til your heart’s content in any kind of tasty toppings! They’re like a party in your mouth, I tell ya. And bonus: They’re not going to send your kid into a bouncing-off-the-ceiling sugar coma. Unless the kid eats ‘em all. Yikes.

Chocolate Banana Pops Recipe

Serve up these super easy, scrumptious banana bites at your next warm weather bash and watch them fly off the platter! They’re not only sinless at only 20 calories a pop, but absolutely adorable and fun for kids and adults alike!

Frozen Chocolate Banana Pops

Yield: Makes about 18 pops

Toothpicks

3 firm-ripe bananas, cut into 2 inch pieces

6 ounces (1 cup) semisweet chocolate chips

1 Tablespoon sprinkles, coconut, nuts, or any desired topping

Insert a toothpick into each banana piece. Arrange bananas, toothpick side up, on a parchment lined baking sheet. Freeze until firm, about 2 hours.

In a medium microwave-safe bowl, heat chocolate chips in 10 second increments, stirring between each until melted and smooth. Working quickly, dip each banana piece in chocolate, shake off excess, and cover with desired topping. Chocolate should set quickly, but if necessary, freeze or refrigerate pops to harden coating before serving.

Store in the refrigerator up to 1 day.

83 Responses to “Frozen Chocolate Banana Pops”

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — May 24, 2012 @ 5:46 am

These are just too cute! And I always have bananas lying around the house (I only eat green ones but they turn yellow so quickly) so this is absolutely perfect for me! :)

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — May 24, 2012 @ 6:20 am

So cute, Georgia! I love all the toppings you chose, especially the sprinkles :).

Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef — May 24, 2012 @ 8:22 am

Wow! Kids of all ages would love these. What’s not to love with bananas, chocolate AND sprinkles??

Caroline @ chocolate & carrots — May 24, 2012 @ 9:07 am

Such a fun and easy way to enjoy dessert! :D

london bakes — May 24, 2012 @ 9:11 am

What a great idea Georgia!

Blog is the New Black — May 24, 2012 @ 9:30 am

So cute and delish!

mireia badia — May 24, 2012 @ 11:10 am

I shouldn’t be looking at blogs because I have to study but when I saw the title of this on my email I had to open it, genius!!!

Cathleen — May 24, 2012 @ 11:14 am

This is bananas! Wow, so creative. I love it!

Joanne — May 24, 2012 @ 11:15 am

I LOVE this idea! Especially since you can smother them in sprinkles. You’re right…everything tastes better with sprinkles.

Jenn — May 24, 2012 @ 12:31 pm

I haven’t had a frozen chocolate covered banana since I was a kid! This is such a great idea… the perfect summer treat!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — May 24, 2012 @ 1:07 pm

So fun! Not even kidding, I’m totally going to make these today :)

Jeno @ Weeknite Meals — May 24, 2012 @ 1:49 pm

Georgia, these are too adorable, I can just imagine what a hit the banana pots will at my little girl’s next birthday party, Yipee!

sarah k @ the pajama chef — May 24, 2012 @ 1:55 pm

mmm, i love frozen bananas! sometimes i make pb chocolate banana bites but i’ve never added toppings. yum!

Lindsey — May 24, 2012 @ 1:58 pm

What a great idea! I will absolutely make these all through the summer. My daughter LOVES bananas but loves chocolate even more – these are going to be a huge hit!!

Sydney @ The Crepes of Wrath — May 24, 2012 @ 2:42 pm

I saw a few people eating these at a fair last weekend – I should really make some myself. It’s probably better than snacking on just straight up chocolate chips out of my baking cupboard :)

Laura — May 24, 2012 @ 3:07 pm

Great idea for kids!!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — May 24, 2012 @ 3:20 pm

Love this!!! Going to have to do this with my son this summer. What a great idea!

Magic of Spice — May 24, 2012 @ 3:26 pm

These are just adorable and so fun! I am a frozen banana addict :)

Reem | SImply Reem — May 24, 2012 @ 3:29 pm

LOVE THEM!!!!!
    My kids will go bananas for these…
    Beautiful Georgia!

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes — May 24, 2012 @ 3:42 pm

So cute and easy and perfect for summer! I really need to make some space in my freezer..

Carol @ Always Thyme to Cook — May 24, 2012 @ 4:29 pm

Love these! So cute.

Baker Street — May 24, 2012 @ 4:39 pm

Wow! Love how easy this is to make and it comes in a super fun size. Just perfect to pop a few after dinner tonight. :)

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — May 24, 2012 @ 4:41 pm

love these!

Biren @ Roti n Rice — May 24, 2012 @ 4:41 pm

What a fun recipe! Small kids and big kids alike will love these. :)

Jennifer {Mother Thyme} — May 24, 2012 @ 5:15 pm

These are adorable! My kids (and I) eat a ton of bananas. They are going to love these!

Kate from Scratch — May 24, 2012 @ 5:24 pm

Nicely done! A light and refreshing slice of summer with chocolate! I’ll definitely try these with the kids. ~Kate

Emily Lynne {The Best of this Life} — May 24, 2012 @ 5:41 pm

I love banana pops!! Yours are so colourful and vibrant – I love the way you’ve decorated them :) I would absolutely serve these at a summer party!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — May 24, 2012 @ 5:44 pm

GEORGIA THESE ARE PERFECT!!!!

Paula — May 24, 2012 @ 5:46 pm

The banana and chocolate combination make this a delicious treat and all your different adornments make them a truly fun snack.

amy @ fearless homemaker — May 24, 2012 @ 5:54 pm

these are adorable + would be especially great for a kids party. too fun!

Cassie/Bake Your Day — May 24, 2012 @ 6:03 pm

I love silly, fun recipes, Georgia! The sprinkles are my favorite, but they are all adorable. So creative!!

Nami | Just One Cookbook — May 24, 2012 @ 6:13 pm

Thank goodness I have bananas at home! I don’t have cute sprinkles at home (this happens when you are not a baker!) but I have coconut flakes. Going to try it this evening with the kids. We have dessert after dinner~~~!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking — May 24, 2012 @ 6:14 pm

Great, Nami! You’ll love them and the kids will have so much fun!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — May 24, 2012 @ 6:37 pm

Sprinkles make me HAPPY! And I’m a firm believer that anyhting on a stick just tastes better! Cake pops, corndogs, and bananas! These would be the first thing I’d grab at a picnic table bbq too, Georgia! :)

Happy Memorial weekend! :)

Tina Bk — May 24, 2012 @ 6:40 pm

I remember chocolate covered bananas used to be all around at festivals, now you rarely see them. However, now that I see this I am inspired to make these at home! I cannot think of anytime that would be a bad time to serve these-always a welcome treat yum!

Amy @ Elephant Eats — May 24, 2012 @ 6:42 pm

These are so adorable! Makes me wish I had kids to make them for…but I guess making them for myself will have to do :)

Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl — May 24, 2012 @ 6:54 pm

We love frozen bananas at our house, and what a wonderful presentation you’ve made with the appetizer sized bites and sprinkles–LOVE! Your photos are always stunning, by the way. Are you still using your Canon XS? I’m looking to upgrade to a {very} user-friendly DSLR and you always have such great pictures!!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — May 24, 2012 @ 6:58 pm

Love the sprinkles! So fun!

Bree — May 24, 2012 @ 6:59 pm

Georgia these look awesome! (And cute too!) I totally want to make them with my kids :)

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking — May 24, 2012 @ 7:01 pm

Thanks so much for your kind comments everyone!

Ashley – Thank you! Yes, I’m still using (and loving) my Canon XS. It’s a great first DSLR!

Sawsan@chef in disguise — May 24, 2012 @ 7:03 pm

My kids love these, they are the perfect summer treat and they are so easy and yummy
    You should try the same idea with kiwi and apples heavenly

Catalina @ Cake with Love — May 24, 2012 @ 7:06 pm

These frozen banana pops are a summer must try!! Love all those sprinkles, and that you can play with the toppings, also these are healthy and I think very delicious!

kale — May 24, 2012 @ 7:35 pm

These would be so great for a party! Tons of fun, down to earth, and pretty to boot!

gobakeyourself — May 24, 2012 @ 7:55 pm

These look gorgeous – forget ice cream (for a little while) because these are so much healthier – love it my friend :D

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

Erica — May 24, 2012 @ 8:37 pm

Great for my kids!!! I am making these for a play date next week! Love them!

These are great Georgia! I particularly like the nut coatings… what a delightful idea for a healthier treat.

Heidi @ Food Doodles — May 24, 2012 @ 9:50 pm

Yummy! I love this idea and I think my kids will too :)

Lynna — May 24, 2012 @ 9:53 pm

omg, if i was at some party and this was served…i would eat so many! :D & i love fun recipes, so please keep sharing!

Beth @ DiningAndDishing — May 24, 2012 @ 9:55 pm

I’m all over anything featuring bananas!! Rainbow sprinkles make everything look so happy :).

Katie|Epicurean Mom — May 24, 2012 @ 11:34 pm

These are adorable! What a great healthy treat!! Can’t wait to try these!

Lizzy — May 24, 2012 @ 11:40 pm

These are so darn cute! And pretty darn healthy for a sweet treat :)

Pam — May 25, 2012 @ 12:11 am

I’ll be making these for my kids soon. What a great idea!

Erin Motz — May 25, 2012 @ 1:10 am

I’m just drooling over your pictures! Amazing. And the recipe looks spectacular! “You could even use a yogurt base instead of chocolate”? Now you stop that nonsense, right now! Chocolate is always the optimum choice ;)

Hayley — May 25, 2012 @ 2:41 am

Eeek! SO cute, Georgia! I’m loving the banana pop studded with rainbow nonpareils, my FAVORITE sprinkle of all time. The coconut one looks awesome, too!! So easy and fresh for summertime.

Jessica — May 25, 2012 @ 3:45 am

I love making these, one of my favorite frozen treats!

Anna @ hiddenponies — May 25, 2012 @ 4:09 am

I have to try these – my daughter would love helping me decorate them too! I agree, there’s something so irresistible about sprinkles :)

Not Quite Nigella — May 25, 2012 @ 11:24 am

This is one of my favourite ways of eating bananas! So cute on the toothpicks too :D

Hotly Spiced — May 25, 2012 @ 11:35 am

What a great idea. I love your presentation of these bananas. They all look like amazing and delicious treats xx

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — May 25, 2012 @ 11:43 am

These are so adorable!!! It would be a fun summer snack or dessert :D

Jennie @themessybakerblog — May 25, 2012 @ 12:53 pm

Georgia, what a delicious idea. They look like the perfect snack.

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels — May 25, 2012 @ 2:37 pm

How cute are these banana pops! I especially love the ones with the sprinkles. :)

love2dine — May 25, 2012 @ 3:56 pm

am STARVING by looking at your wonderful photos..

Parsley Sage — May 25, 2012 @ 9:46 pm

I’m pretty sure I hear angel’s singing. These are genius! And delicious. And gorgeous. You’re all kinds of ‘us’ over here :)

Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 — May 25, 2012 @ 9:51 pm

I love frozen bananas, and this is such a fun way to top them. Cute!

Honey — May 25, 2012 @ 10:59 pm

this looks delicious, i saw this on Ellie Krieger, it’s such a healthy and yummy dessert… maybe i’ll make this tonight for dessert, it totally curbs my sweet tooth, better than eating cupcakes a couple times a week. :-0

Baking Serendipity — May 26, 2012 @ 3:43 am

Love this…especially because they are bite-sized and sprinkles are involved :)

Cristina — May 26, 2012 @ 6:29 pm

OMG Georgia!! These banana pops are too freaking cute. :) What a cute idea and luv the presentation. The possibilities of a coating outside the chocolate is endless!

Have a safe and happy holiday weekend!

Val — May 26, 2012 @ 7:34 pm

I make these a lot for my little girl and I always end up eating the most of them. So good.

Karen (Back Road Journal) — May 26, 2012 @ 7:51 pm

They look like a party waiting to happen…they are so cute.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen — May 26, 2012 @ 8:39 pm

I made these last summer and they are delicious! I love the ‘extra’ garnishes you gave them :)

Nichole@DulceDelicious — May 26, 2012 @ 10:07 pm

Hi Georgia! I wanted to let you know that I nominated you for a new award! You can see your nomination on my blog and find the details at http://foodstoriesblog.com/food-stories-award/! :)

The Café Sucré Farine — May 27, 2012 @ 1:11 am

These are so fun! I love all your variations!

From Valeries Kitchen — May 27, 2012 @ 3:52 am

Can I just have that bowl of melted chocolate? JK :) These looks so festive and yummy! Perfect for this weekend!

Angie's Recipes — May 27, 2012 @ 11:58 am

I will have to make these pops too! They are awesome!

Wendy Wofford-Garcia — May 27, 2012 @ 12:59 pm

Very cute…love these! I’m a banana fiend, so this would be one of the first things I grabbed too!!

Sandra -The Foodie Affair — May 28, 2012 @ 2:28 am

These look like perfect little sweet snacks! So cute too!

Marla — May 28, 2012 @ 9:10 pm

Georgia, these pops are so fun! A great idea to make these healthy little treats.

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — June 2, 2012 @ 5:57 pm

I love this idea! They’re so cute and I’m sure people would be super impressed by them. If I didn’t have this terrible banana allergy I imagine I’d be off to the kitchen now to make these. I know you said you can use other fruit, but I can’t think of any that would work as well as banana. Oh well. I love this post. :)

Heidi Hawyes — June 6, 2012 @ 8:16 am

I love these – i have never made them myself thou, but i am really keen to try!How long do you freeze them for, a couple hours?

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking — June 6, 2012 @ 11:56 am

Before you dip them, freeze the banana pieces for about 2 hours. Once they’re dipped, they only need about 30 minutes refrigerated to harden. Freezing for too long will make them difficult to eat.

Anonymous — June 26, 2012 @ 4:22 pm

Can you make these a few days ahead and freeze them untill you need them?

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking — June 26, 2012 @ 4:24 pm

You can make them 1 day ahead, freeze, then thaw in the refrigerator shortly before serving.

Michael @ BlueberryChuckle — June 26, 2012 @ 11:37 pm

And yet another fun thing to do with the bananas that I can’t seem to eat fast enough!