Springtime Bird’s Nest Cupcakes

Birds Nest Cupcakes

Growing up, I found an Easter basket at the foot of my bed every year until I moved out of my folks’ farmhouse and onto the big city. But every year since, I’ve missed it more and more! Easter has always been one of my favorite springtime excuses to celebrate – frilly dresses, pink bunny slippers, baked ham and all.

Bird's Nest Cupcakes

This year, I’ll be hopping through the holiday with some special friends visiting from out of town, and just maybe delivering some Easter baskets of my own! I’ll cook a big breakfast with ham and eggs, and probably stroll downtown Austin or relax the day away in my pajamas. No big bonnet. No floral sundress. And definitely no puffy sleeves.

1989

… At least not this year.

Easter Cupcakes

But, onto the cupcakes. These festive feathery friend desserts were a cinch to make and turned out pretty cute to boot! I just made a basic vanilla cupcake, topped it with cream cheese frosting. Use store bought cake mix or frosting if you prefer, but my recipes for both are linked below.

Birds Nest Cupcakes Recipe

After the cupcakes cooled, I topped the freshly piped cream cheese frosting with a sprinkle of toasted coconut and stuck in some colorful pastel candy eggs. For the beak, tint a bit of the cream cheese frosting with yellow food coloring and pipe them on with a snipped plastic bag. The little eyes can be added with melted chocolate and a toothpick! Easy, huh?

Have a happy and delicious Easter, foodie friends!

PrintPrint Recipe

Springtime Birds Nest Cupcakes

Yield: Makes 12 cupcakes

1 cup sweetened, flaked coconut

1 dozen Vanilla Cupcakes, cooled completely (recipe below)

1 batch Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe below)

12 pastel Jordan almonds, Cadbury Mini Eggs or candy of your choice

Yellow food coloring

Toothpicks

1 Tbsp. semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread coconut onto a cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown, rotating pan halfway through baking and watching closely to prevent over toasting. Allow to cool.

Frost vanilla cupcakes with cream cheese frosting, reserving about 1/4 cup frosting for the yellow-tinted beaks. Gently press 1 candy “egg” into the center of each frosted cupcake. Working quickly, sprinkle toasted coconut around the eggs on each cupcake.

Add 2-3 drops of yellow food coloring to the reserved frosting until you reach your desired shade. Fill a re-sealable plastic bag with yellow-tinted frosting, then using scissors, cut a very small tip off the edge of the bag and pipe beaks onto eggs (I recommend practicing on a paper plate first).

Melt chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave in 20 second intervals, stirring after each interval until melted and smooth. Using a toothpick, paint eyes onto the eggs with melted chocolate. Store cupcakes in an airtight container.

Decoration idea adapted from Cooking Classy via MarthaStewart.com

61 Responses to “Springtime Bird’s Nest Cupcakes”

Connie the Cookie Monster — April 2, 2012 @ 7:16 am

these look beautiful! i can’t wait for easter so that i can stuff my face with chocolate easter eggs

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — April 2, 2012 @ 7:30 am

These are absolutely adorable. I love that you used toasted coconut as the “nests.” It’s a nice change from green food coloring frosting.

london bakes — April 2, 2012 @ 8:26 am

Gosh, these are some of the cutest Easter cupcakes that I’ve ever seen. I love the little coconut nests and the tiny little birds are just adorable.

Terry — April 2, 2012 @ 8:55 am

Cute cupcakes!

Blog is the New Black — April 2, 2012 @ 11:01 am

SO cute!

Vicki Bensinger — April 2, 2012 @ 11:17 am

Your cupcakes are darling and so easy to make with most ingredients on hand. I enjoyed your story. Funny how as we get older we start to reminisce about how life was when we were little and the special little details that made us smile. Innocent times in our lives.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful Easter and have the opportunity to share it with those you love.

thecompletecookbook — April 2, 2012 @ 11:27 am

Your Easter cupcakes are too adorable for words! So clever.
    :-) Mandy

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — April 2, 2012 @ 11:57 am

These are so sweet :) Love these little guys!!

Julie @ Table for Two — April 2, 2012 @ 12:05 pm

These are SO cute!! I love that you used coconut as their nest. So darling!

Judy@SavoringToday — April 2, 2012 @ 12:24 pm

Those are adorable! Beautiful on any table, worthy of Easter celebrations and more.

Erin @ Brownie Bites — April 2, 2012 @ 12:50 pm

So cute! I love the idea of using toasted coconut for nesting material.

paularkelly@gmail.com — April 2, 2012 @ 1:33 pm

Have fun handing out baskets of goodies this Easter. Your cupcakes are adorable!

Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl — April 2, 2012 @ 1:39 pm

These are just precious!

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny — April 2, 2012 @ 1:53 pm

WOW these are absolutely gorgeous!!!

marla — April 2, 2012 @ 2:05 pm

So fun to read about your memories! Love the b/w photo :) So cute!
    These cupcakes are so creative and adorable.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — April 2, 2012 @ 2:13 pm

Super cute! Apparently we both have cupcakes on the brain today!

Jeno @ Weeknite Meals — April 2, 2012 @ 2:16 pm

Georgia, you’ve out done yourself! These cupcakes are so adorable! Thank you for sharing the memories and photos with us, I always love a peek into foodie’s lives!

We just got back from the Texas hill country doing our annual wild flowers tour, it’s absolutely gorgeous this year, and we took some amazing photos! The weird thing is as soon as we got close to Houston, the wild flowers dissapeared, I think Lady Bird Johnson gave up on my city, what a bummer!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking — April 2, 2012 @ 2:19 pm

Thank you so much Jeno! Aren’t the wildflowers just amazing this time of year? I love seeing them grow in bunches on the side of the road, and in Austin they’re plentiful. Sorry to hear Houston is less than spectacular, though!

Soni — April 2, 2012 @ 2:20 pm

Oh these are so super cute!Love the coconut flakes as well!My kids are so going to love this and I have to make these soon :)Thanks for sharing!

Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef — April 2, 2012 @ 2:58 pm

Aren’t you the clever Easter bunny with these amazing cupcakes! I love food memories.

{Epicurean Mom} — April 2, 2012 @ 3:16 pm

Wow!! Who would have thought these were so simple to make! These are the cutest cupcake nests I’ve seen! So creative and delicious! Love your 1989 pic! :)

Tina — April 2, 2012 @ 3:22 pm

These are so cute! I like how you did not stop with just putting the candies for eggs on the top, you turned them into little chicks with faces. Very eye catching and perfect for any Easter celebration. I would love to have at least one of these in my Easter basket! Nice black and white photo of you all decked out for Easter too.

Cassie/Bake Your Day — April 2, 2012 @ 3:27 pm

These are so cute, Georgia! My mom always did Easter baskets for us too, and now she’s moved on to my nephews. Easter is such a great time for celebration! Love these cupcakes, so creative!

Suzi — April 2, 2012 @ 4:10 pm

What a lovely story and it brings back wonderful memories. We had easter baskets every year as well. The cupcakes are just so cute and so creative.

Namitha — April 2, 2012 @ 4:33 pm

It’s Spring all around in your post, those cute Easter cupcakes,flowers and cute lil eggs :) Lovely post ! My kids also love Easter and the egg hunt :)

Angie's Recipes — April 2, 2012 @ 5:05 pm

These bird’s nest cupcakes are so adorable!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — April 2, 2012 @ 5:14 pm

These are adorable!! I’ve thought of doing something similar with peeps on top!

Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 — April 2, 2012 @ 5:15 pm

They’re so adorable! Hope you have a nice, relaxing Easter

Laura — April 2, 2012 @ 5:17 pm

These are absolutely adorable, Georgia. Love the use of Jordon almonds. They are a treat I rarely get to enjoy, but adore. Might have to make these for our little backyard Easter egg hunt on Sunday. Thanks for sharing!

Lynda @ TasteFood — April 2, 2012 @ 5:18 pm

Beautiful cupcakes! I am thoroughly impressed.

Kristen @ The Little Bitchin Kitchen — April 2, 2012 @ 6:25 pm

Oh my goodness these are adorable!!!

Bree — April 2, 2012 @ 6:26 pm

Soo so cute!

Krissy's Creations — April 2, 2012 @ 6:57 pm

I wanted to make these cupcakes this year! I’m definitely going to do it now :)

fromcupcakestocaviar@gmail.com — April 2, 2012 @ 10:05 pm

These are so cute! I love the little eyes and beak on the birds.

Sandra — April 2, 2012 @ 11:30 pm

What no puffy sleeves?!?! Guess these cute cupcakes will suffice. Hope you have a fun and relaxing holiday.

Chic & Gorgeous Treats — April 3, 2012 @ 1:53 am

Oh my Georgia! You have such a pretty website, and your photos put a smile on my face. I loved the cheery and bright colours. Also these cupcakes are such a doll. I don’t think I could bear to take a bite in them.. Thanks for stopping by over at my blog. Do hop over whenever you like too. I will be back to buzz you here as often I can. Do stay in touch. xoxo, Jo

Pacheco Patty — April 3, 2012 @ 2:20 am

Delightful creations, enjoy your Easter, sounds like you have a wonderful day planned;-)

Val — April 3, 2012 @ 2:23 am

Love, love, love. Your photos are always so amazing.

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — April 3, 2012 @ 2:27 am

Positively cute!!!!!

Sandra - The Foodie Affair — April 3, 2012 @ 5:23 am

These are adorable. Love the little faces (beaks and chocolate eyes).

Choc Chip Uru — April 3, 2012 @ 7:08 am

These are so cute and delightful – Easter posts keep getting me more and more excited :D

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

Sandra M. — April 3, 2012 @ 2:11 pm

Very cute cupcakes..I think any kid would go for it in a heartbeat! I am loving your presentation Georgia, and photos too!!!
    Have a lovely day sweetie!

Kristina — April 3, 2012 @ 2:25 pm

omygosh your cupcakes are too cute!! Those little birds on top are adorable! I’m bookmarking these for the weekend, I’m having my little cousins over for Easter Brunch and they would love these!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — April 3, 2012 @ 3:47 pm

these are too cute Georgia! i LOVE coconut, so these are perfect for me and for easter this weekend. So creative :)

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — April 3, 2012 @ 3:54 pm

oh my, those little ‘birds’ are precious! so cute and fun for Easter!

Audra — April 3, 2012 @ 5:05 pm

Georgia these are adorable! I absolutely LOVE them!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen — April 3, 2012 @ 6:58 pm

So cute! I just saw those Jordan almost birdies in another post recently – love them!

Marta @ I love breakfasts — April 3, 2012 @ 8:22 pm

It’s gorgeous! You’ve created a piece of art. Plus it’s a sweet piece that I’d love to try.

Cucina49 — April 3, 2012 @ 8:53 pm

Those are so pretty and perfect for the season without being at all cutesy.

Mom — April 3, 2012 @ 9:06 pm

You were so very proud of that hat! Those baskets are a sweet tradition – I think these cupcakes would be a good addition to that, quite adorable! xoxoxo Mum

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking — April 3, 2012 @ 10:45 pm

Awww. ♥ ♥ ♥

Reeni — April 4, 2012 @ 12:21 am

The cupcakes are so cute! And so are you in your Easter bonnet!

Teresa, foodonfifth.com — April 4, 2012 @ 2:12 am

Your Easter cupcakes are simply adorable.

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — April 4, 2012 @ 2:35 am

These are sooo cute! Love the little chicky on top!

A Brown Table — April 4, 2012 @ 3:09 am

I am new to your blog, the cupcakes are terribly cute and adorable. Nice work!

Reem | Simply Reem — April 4, 2012 @ 3:12 am

ADORABLES!!!
    These are so so cute Georgia!!!
    Kids will go crazy for this I am sure…
    Have a lovely weekend my dear.

Magnolia75 — April 4, 2012 @ 3:55 am

Awww these are sooo cute!!
    Oooh I nominated you for The Versatile Blogger Award!!
    Check it out http://www.magnolia75thebakinglounge.com/2012/04/awards-and-nominees.html

Nami | Just One Cookbook — April 4, 2012 @ 5:02 am

This is sooooooooooo cute Georgia! I’ve never made anything special for Easter, but I’d totally consider making these cute birds nest cupcakes! Not to mention I love coconut!!! =D

Independent Scentsy Consultant Terri Smith — April 4, 2012 @ 5:46 am

These are really adorable!

Baker Street — April 5, 2012 @ 2:07 am

Spring indeed! These look incredible Georgia! LOVE the coconut topping.

Anna Scandinavian Cottage — April 7, 2012 @ 8:07 am

Those are too cute! What a lovley blog you have!
    Happy Easter to you,