Our Amazing Week in Austin

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

For an entire week, my husband and I spent our time enjoying the sights, sounds and sinfully good barbecue in Austin, Texas, and wow, what a week it was! Between visiting friends, exploring the city and searching for our first home, it was a very busy but enjoyable vacation.

Here are a few snaps from our amazing time spent in my favorite Southern city, starting with one of our new favorite Austin attractions, the lovely Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center…

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Bluebonnets, Texas’s beautiful blue state flower, were blossoming all over the trails and the only thing you could hear were birds, the rustling of leaves and the calm trickle of a nearby stream. Well, and Mark’s cell phone ringing. It was a work day, after all!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

We visited the gardens towards the end of our trip, which was a nice, relaxing way to wrap up the busy week. The sweet people we met there and the gorgeous scenery definitely left me feeling so happy, refreshed and rejuvenated! I tell ya, you’ll never find a friendlier bunch of people than in Austin.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Before the gardens, though, we had taken a trip to tour the stunning state capitol, which is nestled among this quiet park where we took an afternoon stroll. If you’re ever in Austin, I highly recommend the capitol tour – It’s free, and I’d say that’s a small price to pay to get an interesting Texas history lesson!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

But, oh, the barbecue! Sticky, saucy, slow-cooked goodness at Smitty’s, Cooper’s, and even the café in the downtown Whole Foods foodie mecca… how could I forget you! All of our mouthwatering meals with friends were almost the highlight of this trip, only falling second to…

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

… Our new house! Yup, Mark and I found a wonderful first home in Austin with the help of our realtor, and well, signing on the dotted line was definitely the highlight of the whole trip! We’re absolutely in love with it and will be moving in around the first week in June. Relocating from California to Texas will be no small feat, but we’re excited to experience this together. After seven years of city living, it’s about time we finally make a house a home!

•   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •

I hope you’ve enjoyed this glimpse into our week as much as I’ve looked forward to sharing it with you. I’ll get back to sharing new recipes as often as possible with you, though this season my posts may become a little more infrequent due to the big change of moving into our first home.

Thanks for stopping by and reading along. Here goes another new adventure!

56 Responses to “Our Amazing Week in Austin”

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — April 18, 2011 @ 11:24 am

Wow – that is one incredible house. Nice work! :) Congratulations and good luck with the move!

thecompletecookbook — April 18, 2011 @ 11:40 am

Thanks for sharing your wonderful week with us and how very exciting about your new home. It looks beautiful! Can’t wait to see what you create in your new kitchen.
    :-) Mandy

Jenn — April 18, 2011 @ 1:11 pm

Absolutely LOVE the house!! Congratulations!!! If you guys drive through Arizona, stop and see me in Chandler :)
    Thanks for showing us pics for your trip too! Sounds like you had a fantastic time!

Kristin.thompson — April 18, 2011 @ 1:49 pm

oh! I have been reading your blog for a little while, but perhaps not long enough to know you are moving to Austin. I just moved from there (literally days ago – I am still in a hotel waiting for movers to move my things into my new apartment in Fairfax, VA). I left so much of my heart in Austin. I lived right next to that Whole Foods mecca, and much of my paycheck ended up there as well :P
    My absolute favorite restaurants: Home Slice Pizza (on South Congress – if you go on a weekend prepare to wait for up to 2 hours, but it is worth it. Have garlic knots and drinks on the back patio. Pepperoni mushroom is my favorite). Texas French Bread for fresh/local sandwiches and salads. Guero’s for tex-mex (across the street from Home Slice), Hopdoddy for burgers (also next to Guero’s), Sugar Mama’s for cupcakes (on south 1st street), and my favorite brunch spots: Z Tejas, Kerbey Lane, Blue Star Cafeteria, Taverna, Moonshine… I could go on.
    Sorry to post a novel – I hope you guys love Austin as much as I do

Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 — April 18, 2011 @ 2:22 pm

Congrats! It’s a beautiful house. Glad your trip went well and good luck on your move.

Jessica @ bake me away! — April 18, 2011 @ 3:11 pm

Ooo, congrats on the house!! I remember when you told me awhile ago that you were planning to move there. I love Austin! Have been thinking for a long time about moving there myself and started looking at apartment listings again a few days ago. Good luck with the move!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — April 18, 2011 @ 3:19 pm

Gorgeous pictures! Congrats on the new house :)

Liz — April 18, 2011 @ 3:34 pm

Congrats on the new place! I hope it has a great kitchen!

Lindsey @DandyDishes — April 18, 2011 @ 4:15 pm

Congratulations Georgia!!

The Cooking Photographer — April 18, 2011 @ 4:16 pm

You bought a home in Austin??!!! Omgosh I couldn’t be happier for you Georgia! I want to move to Austin so badly.

Laura

Nami @ Just One Cookbook — April 18, 2011 @ 4:29 pm

Hi Georgia! Congratulations on your new home!! Wow, how exciting! I’d be already thinking of new interior design and all that fun stuff. The house looks beautiful (and big)! And from your clothes it looks like it’s hot there already. LOL. Have fun packing up and we look forward to your posts from your NEW kitchen in June. Congrats again! ^_^

Katie @ This Chick Cooks — April 18, 2011 @ 4:39 pm

Wow! What a trip. Your new home looks gorgeous! I hope that thing go well for your cross country move :)

Katryn@rampantcuisine — April 18, 2011 @ 4:51 pm

Beautiful pictures!! I’ve heard such great things about Austin and have always wanted to visit. Congratulations on the new house…it’s gorgeous!

Jennifurla — April 18, 2011 @ 5:27 pm

what a gorgeous house, you should be proud. Also, you are looking fit and gorgeous.

Pam — April 18, 2011 @ 5:58 pm

What a beautiful home you found! Austin sounds fun. I am in the process of getting ready to move too (only a few miles)… UGH – so much work to do.

Annalise — April 18, 2011 @ 6:54 pm

The house is gorgeous! Congrats! Sounds like you’ve got many new adventures ahead of you. As a former Texan, I can guarantee that you are going to love it!

Xinmei @ Pudding Pie Lane — April 18, 2011 @ 7:06 pm

I am sooo jealous right now! a) your house is beautiful b) your house is huggeee c) Austin looks amazing and the food places sound really original :) Boo for being stuck in England :(

ann@ Apples and Twinkies — April 18, 2011 @ 7:24 pm

Austin is supposed to be a fabulous place to live. The house looks wonderful.I have a feeling you’ll love it there. I wish the two of you all the best. make sure you catch up on Friday Night Lights!

warmvanillasugar — April 18, 2011 @ 7:47 pm

Your house is beautiful! I’m so happy to hear that you had such an awesome time. Way to go!!

Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook — April 18, 2011 @ 7:58 pm

Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a nice comment! Your house is beautiful, wishing you and your family many happy years there! Now I’m off to check out your delicious recipes!

Lucy — April 18, 2011 @ 8:09 pm

Thanks for the sweet comment over at my blog. Awesome to hear you found a place to call home – I can’t wait to hear more about your adventures:)

Sarah (Snippets of Thyme) — April 18, 2011 @ 8:35 pm

Thank you for taking the time to say such nice things on my “snippets” site. I wanted to drop in and say that we are in Texas (Houston) via the North, East, Midwest, and now South. Congratulations on your move. My daughter is looking at U.T. for college so if she chooses it, we may spend quite a bit of time in Austin!

StephenC — April 18, 2011 @ 9:52 pm

Amazing in Austin? Remind me sometime to tell you the story “catastrophe in Kalamazoo.”

Melissa — April 18, 2011 @ 9:53 pm

First time on your blog. Welcome to TX! You will love it!

Rhondi — April 18, 2011 @ 10:59 pm

Congrats on your new home Georgia! It’s gorgeous! We love Austin, it’s a great place for weekend getaways. Welcome to Texas! The food is great, the people are warm, and the weather is crazy.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen — April 18, 2011 @ 11:02 pm

Looks like a wonderful home! Congratulations! Just don’t start wearing one of those longhorn hats :)

Kate from Scratch — April 18, 2011 @ 11:13 pm

These pictures are incredible. So inviting. I love the tone of your blog and this post, in particular. It’s so breezy and relaxing and really reflects that vicarious vacation vibe. Thank you for sharing!

Kate@Diethood — April 18, 2011 @ 11:48 pm

I’m in love with the balconies! That’s all I would need to sign on the dotted line! :) Beautiful house – congratulations!!

scrambledhenfruit — April 19, 2011 @ 12:21 am

It sounds like you had a fabulous week! My kids live in TX and they love it. (I wish they didn’t live so far away though.) Enjoy your beautiful new home! :)

Les rêves d'une boulangère (Brittany) — April 19, 2011 @ 12:35 am

Glad to hear you had fun! Your pictures are really pretty – I’ve never really seen what much of the USA looks like (apart from New York of course). And, your home is like a dream house! It’s massive!!

Maris — April 19, 2011 @ 1:11 am

Great photos! Looks like you had an amazing time, so happy!

sweetpeaskitchen.com — April 19, 2011 @ 2:35 am

Looks like you had a great time in Austin! Congrats on your first home…that is sooo exciting! :)

marla — April 19, 2011 @ 3:00 am

Georgia, this is such an exciting post. I have only heard amazing things about Austin. You and your hubs are adorable & you look so happy. Congrats on your new house, beautiful! Can’t wait to read about all your new adventures in TX. xo

Zoe — April 19, 2011 @ 3:31 am

Fabulous photos. I have been to Texas before but have not visit Austin. I wish that I can go to Texas again.

Miriam — April 19, 2011 @ 5:42 am

You lucky ducks, I LOVE Texas! And your new house is just beautiful :), congrats! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Dishes of Mrs. Fish — April 19, 2011 @ 10:30 am

What a great trip with your husband and what a beautiful new home! So excited for you. :)

Brenda — April 19, 2011 @ 10:40 am

Wow, congratulations, what a gorgeous house!! You must be so excited. Austin is one city I haven’t visited yet but it’s on my list. Glad you had a fun time AND bought your new house. Have fun! :o)

Cake Duchess — April 19, 2011 @ 1:06 pm

Austin looks and sounds amazing!! So happy for your new house…its gorgeous!! Congratulations Georgia and good luck with the move:)

Stephanie — April 19, 2011 @ 3:00 pm

Congratulations on your FIRST HOME Georgia!! It’s GORGEOUS!! What prompted the move from Cali to Austin? Regardless…it looks like you’re going to have a fantastic time!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking — April 19, 2011 @ 3:19 pm

Thanks Stephanie, and thank you everyone for your very kind comments! What prompted the move was just the fact that we fell in love with the city, the people and the culture during a trip last year! We’ve been eager to leave Los Angeles for years, for many reasons, and Austin seemed like a great place we could really call home. :)

Holly — April 20, 2011 @ 1:17 am

Congratulations on your gorgeous new home!! Good luck on your move : )

baking.serendipity — April 20, 2011 @ 2:57 am

I love the pictures of your trip and especially your house! Eeee! So exciting and gorgeous! Congrats :)

claire — April 20, 2011 @ 4:41 am

yay! another texas blogger! i hope you all had a great time and congrats on the new home- it is GORGEOUS!

Angie's Recipes — April 20, 2011 @ 4:45 am

What an exciting trip! And the new house :-)) I love it. All the best with move!

Cristina — April 20, 2011 @ 7:18 am

Georgia!!! Congratulations to you and Hubby on your new, beautiful home. How exciting and it’s just weeks away. Are you all ready and just about packed? Austin’s going to be great…Texas is great! I’m happy for you! =)

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking — April 20, 2011 @ 1:57 pm

Thank you so much, Cristina! We’re having a helping hand from movers, so we won’t have to pack much ourselves, fortunately. It’s still a stressful but exciting process, though!

Miss Meat and Potatoes — April 21, 2011 @ 1:53 pm

Welcome!!! I just moved back to Austin, after missing it terribly for ten years, last July. The city has never been a better place to live. So happy for you guys. Maybe we can get together for a margarita once you’re settled! PS the house looks AWESOME!

onlyashes85 — April 22, 2011 @ 1:48 am

Oh my GOSH!! The house is gorgeous!!! So excited for you both. :)

The Healthy Apple — April 24, 2011 @ 12:06 am

Congrats on your new home; very exciting. I’m dying to visit Austin…it looks beautiful and I want to go just to visit the Whole Foods Market down there, hehe…
    Happy Easter!

SJ — April 24, 2011 @ 9:16 pm

What a great house! Looks like it has a great kitchen as well. Will look forward to seeing some more great recipes from that new kitchen. Can’t wait and have fun on your new adventure!

Alaina — April 26, 2011 @ 7:35 pm

LOVE that house! On behalf of Texas, welcome!
    Also, remember to “Keep Austin WEIRD!” ;)

Christina — April 26, 2011 @ 9:04 pm

That is a beautiful house Georgia! I can’t wait to hear more about the move, it must be so exciting. :)

eatgood4life.blogspot.com — April 28, 2011 @ 2:59 am

Wow what a nice house, I am so envious ;-) Here in NJ space is limited and it comes at a premium, maybe some day. Keep up with the great food postings, I have been following closely :-). Good luck in Austin.

Debbie — April 29, 2011 @ 5:30 pm

Georgia! Congrats on the new house! Ironically, my husband and I have decided to move to Denver and will be leaving Texas! I really hope you enjoy Austin and I am super jealous of your new house. I hope the move goes well!

meeshiesmom — May 6, 2011 @ 10:45 am

Congrats on your new home! Good luck in Austin. That’s my dream spot. We are just waiting a few more years to make the move.
    Karen

Healthy and Homemade — June 11, 2011 @ 4:08 am

Wowza, what a gorgeous home! Congratulations! I bet you paid half of what you would have here in Cali. My husband and I have been looking at houses lately, but not seriously. We’re saving up to have a huge down payment, it’s just hard to get a nice newer home here for under $500,000 that isn’t loaded with HOA and mello roos fees.