Country Frittata with Ham, Cheddar and Basil

Country Frittata

Since my family and I live so far apart, I cherish my time with them and always try to make the most of it. This includes fattening them up by cooking dinner and baking goodies and hugging them until they can’t breathe. But, making a mess in their kitchens is the most fun part. As long as it’s delicious, no one ever has a problem cleaning up!

One of the meals I like to cook most, though, is breakfast, since I rarely do at home (hubby usually takes over). I made a frittata similar to this for my mom last summer, served it alongside some toast and tea, and we gobbled it up like it was our last meal. Ever since, I’ve been enamored with frittatas and how simple, quick and delicious they are for a lazy breakfast, brunch or lunch.

Eggs and Basil

I recently made this frittata with some chopped up leftover Easter ham, a few leaves of basil, and a little red onion – use what you have on hand, though. Grilled chicken, chopped tomatoes and spinach are some of my other favorite add-ins. You could also use sausage, asparagus, potatoes, or anything else you have on hand. Feel free to get creative!

Ham Cheddar Basil Frittata

All you do is simply sauté your meat and/or veggies for a few minutes, add in whatever herbs you like, season them a little and pour in a couple of whisked eggs. Stick the whole pan in the oven for 10 minutes, make your toast, pour your tea, and breakfast is served!

When my family visits me in our new house this spring, I can’t wait to make a hearty, delicious breakfast for them like this easy country frittata. It’s a wonderful, warm meal to wake up to that doesn’t take more than 10 minutes and will keep everyone full and energized ‘til dinner!

Country Frittata with Ham, Cheddar and Basil

1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil

1/2 red onion, finely chopped

1/2 cup diced, cooked ham

6 fresh basil leaves

Salt and pepper

6 eggs

1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Gently whisk eggs in a medium bowl and set aside. Chiffonade basil and set aside.

In a high-sided ovenproof pan, heat olive oil on medium. Once oil is hot, add chopped red onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add ham and cook for 1 minute. Add basil. Add salt and pepper to taste, and stir to combine.

Remove pan from heat and pour in whisked eggs. Place pan in the oven and bake for 12-14 minutes, or until the eggs are fully cooked. Remove from oven, loosen the sides with a knife and place whole frittata onto a cutting board or plate.

Top with cheddar cheese, slice into wedges and serve immediately.

48 Responses to “Country Frittata with Ham, Cheddar and Basil”

Angie's Recipes — April 29, 2011 @ 11:26 am

I love frittata! This looks so darn good!

thecompletecookbook — April 29, 2011 @ 11:33 am

What a lovely frittata. I am looking forward to seeing more pictures of your new home.
    :-) Mandy

StephenC — April 29, 2011 @ 12:14 pm

We are big on frittatas. Peter’s making one for lunch today. Yours looks magnificent.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen — April 29, 2011 @ 1:54 pm

A perfect blend of ingredients! I do love frittata dinner nights.

Rhondi — April 29, 2011 @ 2:07 pm

Will you be closer to your family when you move to Austin? I hope that you will so you can mess up their kitchens and hug them often! This frittata looks so good, and fits into my low carb diet right now. I can’t wait to make one.

Tracy — April 29, 2011 @ 2:32 pm

I literally just drooled. Can you believe I’ve never made frittata before? This one looks irresistible and I’m bookmarking it to make soon!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking — April 29, 2011 @ 2:46 pm

Rhondi – Slightly closer! They all live on the East Coast, so it will be a significantly shorter flight for us all, which is nice. Thank you for your sweet comment!

Cheryl and Adam @ pictureperfectmeals.com — April 29, 2011 @ 2:52 pm

This is just delicious, perfect for brunch on the deck tomorrow! I love your photos and your blog, so glad we found you!

brandi — April 29, 2011 @ 3:20 pm

I love frittatas – they are so delicious and easy! This one looks great.

Karly — April 29, 2011 @ 4:47 pm

Oh, I love frittatas. So easy to make, but they feel so fancy!

This one looks gorgeous!

Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 — April 29, 2011 @ 4:48 pm

What an easy breakfast! I haven’t tried a frittata yet but it looks delicious. I love cheddar and ham with eggs, and fresh basil makes everything wonderful, doesn’t it? It looks like the perfect Saturday breakfast.

Debbie — April 29, 2011 @ 5:31 pm

Thanks for this, I feel like I have been in a breakfast slump. Always eating the same cereal or making the same potato frittata, but now for something more exciting! Thanks!

Steph — April 29, 2011 @ 5:36 pm

oh my gosh!! This looks absolutely delish! I love frittatas, but haven’t made one in forever. Thanks for the inspiration!

Jeanette — April 29, 2011 @ 5:43 pm

What a gorgeous frittata, perfect for entertaining! Loving your stunning photos!

Lara @ six times the yum — April 29, 2011 @ 6:03 pm

I love basil and cheddar, so this sounds delicious! I don’t eat ham, but I am sure it would still taste great without it. :) PS. Thank you for the sweet comments on my blog. I really appreciate it!

tanja — April 29, 2011 @ 8:36 pm

First time on your blog and I love it!!!
    The frittata looks amazing! I am bookmarking it :)

Nami @ Just One Cookbook — April 29, 2011 @ 9:46 pm

This looks so good! I’m asking my husband nicely to cook this Frittata this weekend. He usually cooks full breakfast on weekends and kids love it (he let me sleep in since I work hard on my blog lately!). Have a wonderful weekend!

Much to My Delight — April 29, 2011 @ 10:33 pm

Hi Georgia!

Thanks for stopping by my blog today so I could discover yours and follow your adventures as you move to Austin (aka, one of my favorite cities ever). I went to UT and have a lot of love for that town. You are going to be hooked on Central Market, which is the greatest grocery on the planet. Also, make sure you try Magnolia Cafe, Kerbey Lane and Shady Grove–all great restaurants with a true Austin vibe. Love your blog!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking — April 29, 2011 @ 10:51 pm

Hi Jenn! Thanks for your sweet comment. I’ve been to Central Market and Magnolia Cafe – still gotta hit the other two! Thanks for your advice and kind words. Have a great weekend!

Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} — April 29, 2011 @ 11:34 pm

Ooh yum! I love fresh basil in anything! As always your photos are stunning. :)

Holly — April 30, 2011 @ 3:12 am

Georgia this looks stunning…and delicious!!! Yum!!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — April 30, 2011 @ 10:22 am

I love how versatile frittatas are as well, they’re great for using up leftover bits and pieces in the fridge.

Gloria — April 30, 2011 @ 1:42 pm

I love frittata Georgia and this look delicious!! is a lovely dish and wonderful pics, gloria

Gloria — April 30, 2011 @ 1:44 pm

and Im following you love your blog georgia, gloria

Autumn@Good Eats Girl — April 30, 2011 @ 7:27 pm

Oh, this looks delcious! I’ve never attempted to make my own frittata, but I really enjoy eating it when others make it! I need to try this! And your pics are beautiful!

Sherilyn — April 30, 2011 @ 7:41 pm

Scrummy – my first visit to your blog and I like. Shall be back..

Victor — April 30, 2011 @ 8:29 pm

Frittata is a great dish to use leftover ingredients. Looks beautiful, Georgia.

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets — April 30, 2011 @ 11:31 pm

I love frittata! This looks so fresh and delicious and easy.

Maria — April 30, 2011 @ 11:46 pm

Beautiful frittata! This is something I should make much more often!

marla — May 1, 2011 @ 4:11 am

This post is light & beautiful. I have been loving frittata’s lately. The ingredients can be so diverse & I love that I can use what I have on hand. That bright green basil is stunning & will be used a lot in the upcoming months :) xo

Nourhan @ Miss Anthropist's Kitchen — May 1, 2011 @ 2:18 pm

The photos are so beautiful and I’ve been meaning to try making a frittata :)

Cristina — May 1, 2011 @ 4:10 pm

Looks absolutely delicious! I could enjoy this frittata any time of the day and a fantastic dish to use holiday leftovers. =)

Pam — May 1, 2011 @ 4:20 pm

Beautiful and delicious – can’t beat that! It looks fantastic Georgia.

Maris (In Good Taste) — May 2, 2011 @ 2:19 am

Looks like the perfect dish for brunch!

Yasmin — May 2, 2011 @ 8:19 am

Mmmm, I love frittata’s – though they never seem to fill me up for lunch? :/

They are really tasty though and totally addictive.

So is the apple pie i have posted – i love apple pie, pity it never lasts long.

Cheers,
    Yas

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — May 2, 2011 @ 11:28 am

Honestly, Georgia, this is the most beautiful frittata I have ever seen. I love the simplicity and color and flavor added from the basil. LOVE IT!

Gwenevere — May 2, 2011 @ 3:19 pm

I need an oven proof pan that is smaller. I really want to try a frittata. Tis recipe appears to be a good place to start.

Sweet And Crumby — May 2, 2011 @ 3:24 pm

Your frittata looks mouthwatering and makes such a gorgeous weekend breakfast. Love the photos and especially the one of the carton of eggs. Have a great week!

Val — May 2, 2011 @ 3:38 pm

Georgia, we really do need to neighbors!!! =)

Faith — May 2, 2011 @ 5:01 pm

Georgia,
    What a lovely frittata! it makes a prefect treat for weelend breakfast!

Have a great week ahead.

Reeni — May 3, 2011 @ 12:49 am

Your frittata is gorgeous! One of my favorite things to make during the summer – for breakfast, lunch or dinner!

Leslie — May 3, 2011 @ 1:30 am

I love fattening people up!!! Makes me not feel as pudgy!

Miriam — May 3, 2011 @ 4:33 am

That is a beautiful frittata! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Chaya — May 4, 2011 @ 2:11 am

This is a wonderful frittata that I am sure, goes down easily. Would you consider linking it up to Let’s Do Brunch. This is the “right” recipe for that linky. I would love frittata at a brunch and one this attractive is sure to be popular.

Magic of Spice — May 4, 2011 @ 8:41 pm

This is one beautiful frittata lady! I agree, making a mess in the kitchen is all good…I know your family loved this, hey and so would mine ;)

The Country Cook — May 6, 2011 @ 12:39 pm

First of all, let me say Congrats on your first home. It is gorgeous and Texas living is pretty awesome. We lived in Fort Worth and I gotta say, we really loved it there but Virginia is home so we came back when my husband got out of the Navy.
    Now onto this frittata. Wowsers! I went to come to your house for breakfast/brunch..LOL. This is gorgeous and the flavors sound perfect!!

oneordinaryday — May 8, 2011 @ 9:45 pm

Looks like a perfect “breakfast for dinner” meal to me!

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer — May 11, 2011 @ 2:51 am

I have to try this in the moring, how simple and comforting.