How To: Make Seasoning Salt

Chicken, pork, beef, veggies – you name it, I probably put this seasoning salt on it!

This mix of savory spices and dried herbs is my absolute favorite, but not until recently did I decide to mix up a big batch and store it in a container for easy grabbing. I use this blend about twice a week, and with basic ingredients like salt, pepper, parsley, and chili powder, to name a few, it’s so simple to make and keeps weekday dinners quick and simple when I don’t want to make a big fuss.

This mix works well as a rub on big, juicy steaks, a marinade for grilled chicken (mix 1 tbsp. with 3 tbsp. olive oil for two chicken breasts), and as a seasoning for most Mexican and Italian dishes. It also gives great flavor to roasted potatoes and sauteed vegetables such as bell peppers, zucchini, squash, and carrots. With spices like chili powder and cayenne in the mix, you may think this is a five-alarm kind of seasoning, but fear not, I can’t take lots of spice myself, so the zest is very mild.

I used to make this mix every time I needed a basic meat marinade or spice to kick up some vegetables, but having this seasoning handy in my cabinet has saved me loads of time and the chore of having remember just what goes into it.

I know this simple salt blend will prove incredibly useful for you, too, especially on nights when you want an easy but deliciously flavorful dinner!

Seasoning Salt

Yield: Makes 3-1/2 cups

1/2 cup each...
• table salt
• ground black pepper
• onion powder
• garlic powder
1/4 cup each...
• chili powder
• paprika
• dried parsley
• crushed red pepper flakes
• cayenne powder
• ground cumin

Mix all spices in a medium bowl until well combined, or pulse a few times in an electric food processor.

Pour into an airtight jar, label with ingredients and store in a cool, dry place away from sunlight.

Stored properly, this spice will keep for up to three months and can be used in a variety of meat and vegetable dishes (steak, ground beef, chicken, pork, fish, potatoes, sauteed seasonal vegetables, etc.).

For a quick chicken/meat marinade, add 1 tbsp. seasoning salt to 3 tbsp. olive oil, stir and turn meat to coat evenly. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 1 day.

13 Responses to “How To: Make Seasoning Salt”

Lauren — January 10, 2011 @ 9:10 pm

Awesome, it’s so nice to have your own seasonings ready to go! I keep meaning to do this for my sweet potato fry spice mix, but I’m lazy and never have the containers I need. I’ve been thinking about organizing all of my clothes for about 10 months, but this is next on the list, I swear!

Monet — January 10, 2011 @ 10:01 pm

Chili powder is one of my closest spice friends. I imagine that this seasoning salt mix would be a hit in my house. We love sprinkling seasoned salt over steamed veggies, beans and rice. Thanks for sharing (and only you could make salt look so gorgeous!)

Mina Joshi — January 10, 2011 @ 10:01 pm

This is a great idea. It would work for curries too .

kim g. — January 10, 2011 @ 10:02 pm

Sounds delicious! I love homemade seasoning mixes – can’t wait to try this!

Magic of Spice — January 10, 2011 @ 10:02 pm

Great flavors and post :)

Anonymous — March 31, 2011 @ 12:04 pm

Really, what spice can I use on a pancake? I need a spice and my clients ask for a seasoning spice pancake.

Julia — September 19, 2011 @ 5:09 pm

What a great idea!!!! I’m sure Ill be using this on EVERYTHING, thanks!

sl — February 21, 2012 @ 4:26 pm

this sounds wonderful. So much cheaper than buyuing season salt plus no msg. would it keep longer than 3 months in the refrig or freezer? thanks for your help

Crafty Lady — April 3, 2012 @ 7:02 pm

Would it be alright if I pinned this? It looks SOOO yummy!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking — April 3, 2012 @ 8:14 pm

Of course, pin away!

Lesley — July 7, 2012 @ 9:54 pm

This looks great! Think I might send this to my Foodie Penpals partner!

Lesley
    byporchlight.blogspot.com

belle — November 5, 2012 @ 2:02 pm

So glad to have discovered you. Thank you for making the recipes printable!

Lisa — June 22, 2014 @ 11:55 am

Wow, this looks delicious! I like making my own seasonings, too – but I am trying to watch/scale back on my sodium intake. I might try this on a smaller scale to see if I can cut the salt ratio in half and still get the flavor kick I’m looking for. Also, I find that when making large ‘batches’ of seasonings, it works well to label them in freezer-baggies in small sizes and freeze them to keep fresh. That way I can make larger batches at a time and still keep it yummy. Thank you for posting this!!